TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks Coasters and Rides in Movies and TV

Okay here's another for you. Remember the old show Get Smart? They had a movie version called The Nude Bomb. There was a scene where agent Smart chased a bad guy through the Universal Studios Hollywood back lot tour which included an appearance of the shark from Jaws. I know I'm showing my age with some of these.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about that old monster flick The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms? The creature ends up at The Pike and dies amid the burning of The Cyclone Racer Coaster?

And the beast is shot by Lee Van Cleef!

Here's another for you. An episode of Storage Wars had the husband and wife team visit Knott's Berry Farm. They found a vintage Knott's pennant but it was not worth much. They got a free day at the park. And an episode of American Pickers took place at Bushkill Park. They bought a few side show banners and made a killing on them. They shared the profits with the owner of Bushkill to help reopen the park.

Did anyone mention The Lost Boys? A lot of scenes were filmed at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. There is a movie called Mighty Joe Young with Bill Paxton and Charleze Theron. There was a scene I believe filmed at Santa Monica Pier where the ape saved a kid from a collapsing ferris wheel. I'm on a roll here.

Edited by Cyrbuzz

So this Godzilla destroyed Manhattan Express. First time in my life, I'm at Godzilla's side.

Next Godzilla must appear in Wisconsin Dells!!

You should have been by Godzilla's side ever since the second movie came out! That's when he was resurrected/reincarnated/whatever the heck they decided it was and we learned how to control him to protect us from other Kaiju (like Mothra and Rodan). Sure, they still destroyed cities and tons of people were killed, but Godzilla never had anything against us.

Now, that Matthew Broderick movie, on the other hand...

Wow, I can't believe it took until page 6 to have a mention of KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. But this is coming from a guy who still owns the original VHS of the movie.

I was going to say that!

and it *was* released theatrically overseas (tho in USA it was a TV movie). . so yeah, technically, KISS and Magic Mountain starred in a movie together

and I didn't see this mentioned, but "Rosanne" filmed a 3 parter at Disney World.

and the Partridge Family filmed an episode at Kings Island in 1972.

(go to 3 minute mark at this section of the episode to watch Danny and Keith's girl on a coaster, and then pull Keith up to the top of the Tower)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

and then SHOCKED that this wasn't mentioned (unless I just missed it), but the Brady's then copied the Partridges and filmed their own episode at Kings Island the next year.

(there's a Pop-Up video version that VH1 used to show that's online)

I'm showing my age, but these episodes are what made me fall in love with Amusement parks!

The death of oceanview park was a made for tv movie. They blew up the rocket coaster at oceanview park Virginia. I am fortunate enough to have it on dvd

This is the same park that was in the opening scene of the movie "rollercoaster".

Here is a clip of the coaster disaster scene.....

Saving Mr. Banks - Disneyland California - Main Street, Cinderella Castle, Fantasyland Carousell

In Germany Wrigley's has an commercial featuring the Olympia Looping's first drop filmed in Hamburg - the track of the coaster is turned green with a computer effect

In the tv show "Revolution" they used the Freestyle Music Park in SC. I'm not sure what episode but it was near the beginning of the first season. I kept asking myself "this has to be FMP." And then I saw the giant guitar in the background and was reassured

The new Godzilla looks like it's going to be pretty good, especially with Bryan Cranston in it from Breaking Bad / Malcolm in the Middle.

Going back on topic, the Camry Thrill Ride commercial was filmed in the SFMM parking lot with Colossus and Scream in the background. This is one of the coolest car commercials I've seen, where not only are there roller coasters are in the background, but a ride track for the Toyota Camry was made with "Camry Thrill Ride" being the emphasis of the commercial.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. .where is this , that is standing in for "FrightLand" ?

is that Kennywood where they filmed this?

as as fan of Slasher/Horror films and Amusment parks (and music, since one of the stars is Ogre from Skinny Puppy). . I'll definitely see it/rent it/buy it !

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

In my collection I have on VHS video tape two television commercials from the 1950's that was shot on location at an amusement park.

*A mid 1950's ad for 7-UP that was shot at the original Elitch Gardens in Denver. The Wildcat and most of the rides were shown as well as that famous big Elitch Gardens sign that was on the corner of West 38th Avenue and Tennyson Street.

*A late 1950's ( perhaps early 60's ) ad for Winston Filter Cigarettes that was shot I believe at the now defunct Rockaways' Playland in New York. A couple rides the wooden roller coaster and other rides then they decide to light up their Winstons. A close up of the pack of Winstons is shown in the coaster's loading station with the voice guy saying "Winston taste good..Like a cigarette should".

A few other clips I have however unfortunately they are on VHS.....

*The 1978 Dick Clark special "Good Ole Days" with Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello was shot on location at Knotts Berry Farm. Singer Freddy Cannon is singing his old hit "Palisades Park" right in front of the corkscrew coaster.

*Elvis Presley's 1963 film "It Happened at the World's Fair" was shot in Seattle during their World's Fair. Don't remember if any roller coasters were shown but many rides were..and the then-brand new Space Needle.

*The 1970's Jack Webb show "Emergency" at least two episodes were shot at amusement parks including one where a man was almost killed on a double Ferris Wheel. Not sure if the parks were real or did Jack Webb borrow some rides to make it seem like an amusement park though.

*The 10/27/1967 episode "And A Child Shall Lead Them" of Gomer Pyle USMC had many scenes that were shot at the long defunct Glen Echo Amusement Park outside of Washington DC. Yes one does see the Coaster Dips roller coaster and some of the other rides Glen Echo had at the time as well such as the Trabant, Ferris Wheel and the Whip.

• 1 month later...
^ Thanks!

I found it really funny that the man installed the bomb at the place where the upstop wheels suppose to go pass.

Yeah....... Come, on! It's the GP...

Not to mention that ride was extremely long!