TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Control Panel Enthusiast Thread

BGW was always odd to me because only maintanence could add or remove trains. This made sense on a ride like wolf, where before 1996 you could accidentally crash a train into the ground (until it happened during green tagging and then they invented a safety system to prevent it)

But CP ops don't seem to have any problem adding or removing trains.

However, even though ops don't do that on coasters at BGW, they DO add/remove boats at the log flume, which involves putting on waders, standing in the trough, and physically pushing the oncoming boat away lol. They also cross th trough by stepping on a boat, and while you can't walk a coaster lift without locking out, the flume requires ops walking the catwalks while the ride is going.

But that's how they do it, as having been a person standing in the flume trough in waders many times, I must say it was my favorite ride in the park other than Le Mans!

I'm not familiar with the flume at BGW, but the one at Dorney, the trough is cut directly into the terrain as seen here.

thunder-creek-mountain-10.jpg

So if an op needs to go up to the tower, we just walk next to the lift. We cross the channel either with metal planks (when the ride is closed) or by walking on boats, but only in the station. In the upper flume you can access everywhere without having to cross the channel once.

Adding an removing a boat requires the use of a crane, and stopping the lower lift to park a boat near said crane, lower right of this photo

If we're having a major issue with a boat, lets say it's filling up with water. We're allowed to park it on the other side of the station (Thunder Creek Mountain used to use a dual channel dispatch, but now we only operate one channel at a time, and alternate day by day)

Yeah, I would definitely like to see a close up of Ka's with visible labels to compare with TTD's. Good to see a lot of the big coasters popping up on this thread!

I can breakdown a few buttons on the console:

-5 Blue buttons on top row are block resets but during normal operation they light up solid if a train is present in that particular block.

-E-Stop upper left corner (Pretty obvious)

-Red indicator on green portion of panel is the "Trouble" light.

-2 green buttons on bottom of green portion of panel are dispatch buttons

-Black non-illuminated push button in green section is the launch spiel

-3-position key switch on red section is main ride power. Position 1: Off 2: On 3: E-Stop Reset (Key can't be left in this position)

Ryan, Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup! You're correct. But the two green buttons are referred to as launch buttons. Lol and wow, i've never seen that old picture of Ka's panel. They've since added launch boost functions that are in the bottom right, and a key that switches the ride from normal mode (two stations, 4 trains) or the mode they use now (3 trains, one load platform).

Yeah, I would definitely like to see a close up of Ka's with visible labels to compare with TTD's. Good to see a lot of the big coasters popping up on this thread!

I can breakdown a few buttons on the console:

-5 Blue buttons on top row are block resets but during normal operation they light up solid if a train is present in that particular block.

-E-Stop upper left corner (Pretty obvious)

-Red indicator on green portion of panel is the "Trouble" light.

-2 green buttons on bottom of green portion of panel are dispatch buttons

-Black non-illuminated push button in green section is the launch spiel

-3-position key switch on red section is main ride power. Position 1: Off 2: On 3: E-Stop Reset (Key can't be left in this position)

Ryan, Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup! You're correct. But the two green buttons are referred to as launch buttons. Lol and wow, i've never seen that old picture of Ka's panel. They've since added launch boost functions that are in the bottom right, and a key that switches the ride from normal mode (two stations, 4 trains) or the mode they use now (3 trains, one load platform).

In CF's case, it varies from park to park. For example, at KBF, operators are not allowed to add OR remove coaster trains. Has to be done 100% by maintenance. At CP operators are allowed to do that.

Ryan,

What does "Motor-Drive warm up mode" do?

Motor-Drive warm up is what I believe maintenance uses during their morning checks to check the lift cable and catch car. And GADV operators are not allowed to add or remove coaster trains either.

I'm surprised that they installed an AB screen on an older coaster like Rebel Yell. But they can really simplify panels in some cases and fit a lot of stuff into a small screen. The Hypersonic panels are also cool. Thanks!

I was shocked to learn that the skyride at BGW has an AB panew in all stations now too. When I worked there, you basically had a simple panel in France/Germany with an e stop and a mode select for the trip timer, and England had a slightly more advanced pannel which told you which station had a trouble alarm if the cable stopped, then a simple secondary pannel for starting the cable which had 4 buttons plus a power key and an e stop, and a wind alarm.

Sometime between when I left and now, they upgraded all of the above to some crazy modern stuff that involves and AB screen. Not really sure it was needed, but I suppose it's cool.

• 2 months later...
Does anybody have any photos of an RMC control panel?

All RMC coasters have control systems designed by a third party. So there is no such thing as a RMC panel since RMC's at different parks will have different panels depending on what company was hired.

All current RMC's have nearly identical panels, since Six Flags built them all in-house. So the above picture is what all SF RMC's look like. The only differences are the switches, because each coaster has a different amount of gates, the layout of the PanelView, a variation in the color of a button color/type for the buttons in the upper right of the Medusa panel, and for TC, there is an additional lift stop and lift start because of the second lift.

Outlaw Run is the only difference, which was also built in-house. Its entirely different from the SF versions.

All RMC coasters have control systems designed by a third party. So there is no such thing as a RMC panel since RMC's at different parks will have different panels depending on what company was hired.

All current RMC's have nearly identical panels, since Six Flags built them all in-house. So the above picture is what all SF RMC's look like. The only differences are the switches, because each coaster has a different amount of gates, the layout of the PanelView, a variation in the color of a button color/type for the buttons in the upper right of the Medusa panel, and for TC, there is an additional lift stop and lift start because of the second lift.

Outlaw Run is the only difference, which was also built in-house. Its entirely different from the SF versions.

That's actually really interesting, thank you for sharing. Thanks to livai as well for linking one!

Now I'm curious to see what Outlaw Run's panel looks like though

That's actually really interesting, thank you for sharing. Thanks to livai as well for linking one!

Now I'm curious to see what Outlaw Run's panel looks like though

Not a great image, but you can see the general layout.[attachment=0]20140717_155030(0).jpg[/attachment]

• 3 weeks later...