TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Control Panel Enthusiast Thread

Does anyone know what the purpose of the HMI button is? I've seen it on Gatekeeper's and SpinCycle has something similar. But GIBs don't have one.

The HMI enable buttons? Those are to be able to click things on the touchscreen. There are certain things you can click without holding it (change the page you are viewing ie. operations, errors, restraints, pressed estops, etc.) but when on maintenance screens, acknowledging the photo eyes in the station, or things like that you need to hold it so you don't click anything accidentally.

For unlocking harnesses using the touchscreen you must hold the unlock harness button instead.

This is what is used for on B&Ms and I'm guessing on other panels its used similarly.

The HMI enable buttons? Those are to be able to click things on the touchscreen. There are certain things you can click without holding it (change the page you are viewing ie. operations, errors, restraints, pressed estops, etc.) but when on maintenance screens, acknowledging the photo eyes in the station, or things like that you need to hold it so you don't click anything accidentally.

For unlocking harnesses using the touchscreen you must hold the unlock harness button instead.

This is what is used for on B&Ms and I'm guessing on other panels its used similarly.

Interesting. So SpinCycles is very different then. When Spin has errors it turns out controls off so we can't raise/lower the platform, open entrance/exit gates, start cycle. We have to push a "Controls On" button that turns out controls back on. I was thinking it was something like that.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the HMI button is? I've seen it on Gatekeeper's and SpinCycle has something similar. But GIBs don't have one.

HMI (Human-Machine Interface) button on the B&M panels replaced the "Panelview Enable" button. It has been a while since I operated Silver Bullet at Knott's and the only thing Operations (Non-Maintenance personnel) used it for was during power up procedures. In maintenance mode, checking the state of sensors, photo eyes, light curtains (Floorless coasters), opening/closing brakes, you have to use 2 hands for redundancy.

Edit: Scott is correct on this as well.

HMI (Human-Machine Interface) button on the B&M panels replaced the "Panelview Enable" button. It has been a while since I operated Silver Bullet at Knott's and the only thing Operations (Non-Maintenance personnel) used it for was during power up procedures. In maintenance mode, checking the state of sensors, photo eyes, light curtains (Floorless coasters), opening/closing brakes, you have to use 2 hands for redundancy.

Edit: Scott is correct on this as well.

Did silver bullet have the photo eyes in front and back of the station? I've seen them on all wingriders and was just wondering if all other B&M's had them too.

We had tried to get away from using photo-eyes on the B&Ms several years back. It was too easy to get blocked by weather conditions or stray bird poop (some sites this is very common). So in general you won't see photo-eyes used. Sometimes though, they are what you have to use due to the ride itself like Auto Race at Kennywood.

-Brian

I'm really glad photo-eyes are not used on coasters that much anymore. Like what Brian said, other rides like log flumes have to use photo-eyes because you can't really use a proxy switch to detect a boat floating in water and expecting it to trigger the sensor. Usually is one of the reasons why a log flume can sometimes go down after a big rain storm as the water on the photo-eyes causes them to not work properly. I don't miss the days working on an old Arrow log flume and having to deal with those photo-eyes triggering when they're not suppose to and causing issues. To this day, I can still hear that Arrow fault buzzer going off...

They're also usually the reason why a "ghost train" can suddenly appear in the computer and causing a train to stop at the top of the lift or out on a mid-course brake run. Coasters that operate with 2 trains require in general 3 blocks. Well if one of the blocks don't clear properly, like on the brakes, the computer will still think there's a train there, even though the computer knows there's a train in the station and on the lift, so it'll stop the one on the lift, usually at the very top. So if you ever wonder the reason why a coaster has stopped at the top of the lift for no apparent reason, that's usually the issue.

I was talking about the photo eyes that are at the front and back of the station on wing riders that have to be cleared by the operator in order to send trains if someone or something trips them while the train is parked. Not the ones around the ride course. I'm just wondering if those are only on wing riders or if all newer B&M's have them.

^Your input and expertise is always appreciated in this thread. I remember a few times while at Silver Bullet, birds would take the ride down by flying through the main brake and being picked up by a photo eye.

Kind of like how guests pennies magically found their way onto proxy sensors....

I can only surmise on the wing riders, but my guess is you will still see them on every new one. As has been said, there are certain functions where a proximity switch won't work. In that particular case, I would guess it is protection against someone wandering past the station. Due to the design, a person in that area may not realize the size of the clearance envelope required.

Not all designs would require that, so I doubt you will see them on every new ride from B&M.

-Brian

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say GateKeeper's control panel changed significantly, but it looks like some cosmetic adjustments were made to categorize functions. Only two buttons look swapped in terms of location which is a very simple mechanical adjustment. Simply put, buttons or switches in the green area are for basic operating functions under normal conditions, and buttons in the red area are capable of stopping certain functions or stopping the entire ride in the event of an emergency.

The better a control panel is labeled, the quicker an operator can react when a different situation arises. Not that the original appearance was bad (in fact it is my favorite ride control panel that I have ever operated), but the new appearance perfects it.

The reason for the gatekeeper panel change was because the panel, like all other wingrider panels came with the left gate and right gate switch. CP modified the panel so that there was an auto/manual gate switch and an open/close gate button and added the gate switches to the enable panels in the back of the station. So the button/switch was mislabeled so they had to change it.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys and gals, I apologize in advance for multiple lengthy posts. I have pictures of 5 Six Flags Over Georgia Panels (main panels). I'm going to split up the pics cause I'm going to detail all the button/switch functions! Ill do Acrophobia, Scorcher, Cyclone and Batman, then Dahlonega Mine Train. Sorry in advance for some of the weird angles, I try to be artistic sometimes and forget that I'm on the path to a career in park/ride operations, not as an artist/photographer

Please, forgive me for any vague descriptions or whatnot, I'm doing this from memory of all the panels. Yes, memory, I've always been a bit obsessive, and memorized nearly every button and switch, even maintenance restricted.

First up we have Acrophobia. Of course, as you all know, its an Intamin 3rd generation gyro-drop. 200 ft tall tower, 161 ft (ride height) aka drop height at 62 mph lasting a total of 45 seconds from dispatch to "parking."

For the last picture, in regards to the numbered buttons:

1) Trouble Light-Serves to alert operators when a RMC in the rides operation occurs (RMC-Ride Maintenance Code). Of course, when this lights up, the ride will shut itself off and stop at the nearest stopping point, or if not in cycle, dispatch will be disabled.

2) Exit Gate Selector-Switch that allows opening and closing of the exit gates

3) Entrance Gate Selector-Switch that allows opening and closing of the entrance gates

4) Auto Mode Indicator-Green light that is illuminated when the ride operation system is in automatic mode. This light has three modes; solid when the rides automatic mode has been initiated (button 5), slow blinking when the ride is in auto mode but has not been initiated yet, then last fast blinking when the ride is in auto mode AND the maintenance cycle mode is on. It is worth noting that In order for an operator to have control, the maintenance cycle key switch must be off. Operators only have control in solid and slow blink mode.

5) Ride start-Green lighted button that initiates auto mode. Solid when auto key switch is in the on position, maintenance cycle off, and button has been depressed to initiate auto mode. Numerous conditions must be met (by the ride computer itself) for the button to be active.

6) Dispatch Side 1-Green lighted button that when depressed in conjunction with button 9, as well as both verifier dispatch buttons. Solid once ride has dispatched, slowly blinking when ride cycle has finished, and fast blinking when the corresponding verifier dispatch button has been depressed, signaling to the operator that that verifier is ready and area is clear.

7) Shoulder Harness Release 1-Green lighted button that releases harnesses for seats 1-15. Solid when depressed and harnesses unlocked, slowly blinking when harnesses are able to be released, and off when ride has been dispatched (disabled).

8) Shoulder Harness Release 2-Same as button 7 except for seats 16-30.

9) Dispatch (Cycle Start) Side 2-Same as button 6 except for verifier 2.

10) Lock Out Tag Out-Used to cease all power to the ride in the event of unloading during a breakdown or for maintenance.

11) Emergency Stop-Self explanatory, when depressed stops the ride immediately regardless of where the unit is located on the tower

12) Ride Stop-When depressed stops the ride in the nearest stopping point (top or bottom of tower), also a way to cease automatic mode when unit is at the bottom of the tower parked.

13) Control Power Enable-Key Switch that has three settings (on, off, reset). Enables power to be provided to the main control panel, or if an e-stop has been initiated it can be switched to the reset position and used along with the ESR Relay to reset an e-stop and resupply power to control panel.

14) Lift Jog Up-Yellow lighted button that allows maintenance to manually raise the catch or the catch and unit. Solid when unit/catch are being raised, slowly blinking when not in use but enabled

15) Drop Release-Yellow lighted button that when pressed, released the drop mechanism and allows the unit to be dropped manually. Solid when release is in progress, slow blinking when release is open or closed and standing by.

16) Brake Test Mode Lamp-Yellow light that signifies the brake test mode is active. Solid when keyswitch allowing BTM to take place is in the on position (this keyswitch is located on the rides switchboard, not the panel). Slowly blinking when brake test is standing by to be performed, fast blinking when brake test is being performed.

17) Maintenance Mode Indicator-Blue illuminated light that signifies maintenance mode is enabled. Solid when maintenance mode is on, slowly blinking when selector switch is in maint position but ESR (emergency stop relay) is not energized, and fast blinking when selector switch is in maint position and ESR is energized as well as the maintenance panel is connected.

18) Lift Jog Down-opposite of button 14-Allows catch/catch and unit to be lowered manually

19) Turning Platform-Lighted yellow button that when depressed manually rotates the ride unit. When depressed, the ride control system will automatically stop the unit back at its home position.

20) Shoulder Bar Test-yellow lighted button that when pressed signals for the computer to unlock all harnesses for a certain period of time. Solid when harnesses are unlocked, slowly blinking when test is in standby waiting to be performed.

21) Mode Key Selector-Key switch that allows selection of auto or maintenance mode

22) Ride On-Orange light that indicates that power to the ride has been turned on and ride is energized. Solid when key switch is on and ESR is on, slowly blinking when control power key switch is on and ESR is off but NOT ready to be switched on, fast blinking when control power enable is on and ESR is ready to be switched on

23) Synchron-Key switch with three positions. L position means only motor one (master motor) is active and only one side of cables will move. R position means motor two (slave motor) is active and does the same for other sides cables. Synch position means that both motors are active and in operation. There are tedious technicalities that apply before a motor can be disabled and only one motor active.

24)Vehicle cylinders-Manually operates rides hydraulic system. Allows dampers to be moved up and down on command. Three positions, one for up, one for down, and the 0 position used for automatic mode where the computer controls the dampers.

Two buttons that are not labeled (not quite in picture)

25)-(under button 21)-Maintenance Cycle Start is a key switch that when switched to on allows the ride to be dispatched using only the main control panel, thus not needing verifiers. This cycle type deactivates after two cycles automatically. One main use is to park the ride at night (catch at top of tower, unit at bottom with dampers lowered, gates closed, harnesses closed, and seats tilted in)

26)-(under button 25)-Tilt Switch-allows the pods of seats to be manually tilted in and out.

Verifier Panels (two total) (not pictured)

1) Emergency stop

2) Dispatch enable-same blinking patterns used as main panel

With the verifier panels and operator panels, upon dispatch, the operator has 8 seconds to depress the two dispatch buttons on the main panel after verification of dispatch buttons have been depressed, if this does not take place, dispatch will be disabled and will require all buttons be released and dispatch sequence started over.

Maintenance has a wireless remote style controller that interfaces with the rides computer and allows specific operation and functions to be performed away from the panel.

Whew, I'm out of breath now!

Acro1.jpg.8313764762cdaa5442038a95d2b2a667.jpg

Acrophobia Main Panel

Acro1-Labels.jpg.0008a12c1042242ef71f4106e6a0cd9f.jpg

Acrophobia Labels

Acro2.jpg.5dbea9687f96dcfa3320adc778d5c35e.jpg

Operator Enabled Elements

Acro3.jpg.53a2f04f7a6e6ab037190ef181ea5734.jpg

Acrophobia Main Control Booth

Next, I'm going to do Dahlonega Mine Train and Batman together. Most of these buttons have labels and are self explanatory.

In the first picture is the operators side of the Batman panel, minus the red sector which includes e-stop, ride/station stop, lift stop, and control panel power enable (key switch). All of these buttons are self explanatory. I never actually operated Batman, I took this pic when I went back after I left for the season and was talking to one of my good friend that was the lead of Batman. For that reason, I dont know what the two switches at the top do, I assume one may be entrance gates, and possible exit gates, but I feel like the exit gate switch is at the bottom of the panel. I do know that the red button in the top right corner of the green section is the trouble light/button. It is a button, due to the fact that when a RMC occurs, it will light up as well as an alarm will sound. Depressing the button silences the alarm, and trust me, you want to be able to silence them as they are high pitched shrill beeps.

The first Mine Train panel picture is the operator side. All buttons self explanatory except maybe the top four under the read-out screen (which by the way, tells the status of the ride, or if an RMC occurs reads out the problem that has occured. From Left to right, we have the trouble button, same function as previously stated in batman, next is the key switch from main to auxiliary panel, third is the key switch that must be turned to start the ride (separate from starting the lifts), and last is ride start which is used in conjunction with the preceeding switch as well as lift start. On Mine Train, operators do have access to a key, this key allows the switch from main to aux panel if staffing has fallen below minimum, and it also works on the ride start switch. In order to start the ride, the key must be inserted, turned and the ride start button must be depressed.

In the final picture is the emergency buttons as well as maintenance buttons. All emergency buttons are self explanatory. Station stop means the same things as ride stop. It closes all ride brakes and stops the lifts. Lift stop simply cuts power to all lifts (there are three on Mine Train). Operators have the ability to reset these two buttons as opposed to e-stop who only maintenance can reset.

On the yellow portion of the panel are the maintenance buttons. the first two rows are block section indicators and then the block reset button. When they are off the block is unoccupied, when they are on solid the block is occupied (Lift 3 and the station were occupied in this picture), when they are blinking, there is a train approaching the block. In maintenance mode, in order to reset a block after an ESR or block discrepancy, the mechanic must depress the block reset button then the corresponding block.

Operators have access to the blue lift start button. Solid when lifts are on, blinking when lifts are ready to be started. Pressed in conjunction with ride start (after ride start and key switch have been used) to start the lifts.

Key switch beside ESR reset has three modes (auto, maintnance, and transfer).

In addition to the main panel, there are various other panels on mine train. actually there are 7 panels total if I'm not mistaken. The main panel, the aux panel (station stop, lift stop, e-stop, exit gates, entrance gates, and one dispatch button), verifiers panel (dispatch enable and e-stop), lift 1 panel used to start lifts with main operator (ride stop, lift start, lift 1 clear-maintenance, lift 1 stop, lift 2 stop, and lift 3 stop. Lift 2 and 2 panels (maintenance access only, lift stop and lift clear), then there is the transfer shed panel (transfer mode selector, transfer mode indicator, e-stop, release station brake button, move track 1 to run button, move track 2 to run button, track locked indicator, release brake on track 1 button, and release brake on track 2 button).

Please if you have questions or whatnot, ask away! I love talking about this stuff! Sorry if this description was a bit more vague than the Acro one, I figured this was more self explanatory due to labels being visible as well as having described many functions already. Enjoy!

Batman1.jpg.20141822c7a019dca4ea1dcd3420a0c4.jpg

Batman Operator Enabled Buttons

MineTrain1.jpg.3b78705f513a1fd45854d0c8b54c3ce4.jpg

Mine Train Operator Buttons

MineTrain2.jpg.2f8e42b7370763901f6870474ce87a00.jpg

Mine Train Emergency Buttons & Maintenance Buttons

Hey, neat thread! Here's some BGW controls pics for you guys. Disclaimer: I did not take any of these photos, but they've just been sitting on a hdd so I don't know who to credit for them.

Does anyone know what the different 4 colored sections of the Loch Ness buttons buttons mean (green, yellow, red, and black from what I can see)? Do these sections light up at different times corresponding to available functions of the button at that time (sort of like the solid and different speed blinking patterns on rides at Six Flags Over Georgia). Is it 4 different buttons in one or just one sectioned off into different colors? Sorry for so many questions, I have just seen those before, and haven't ever figured it out.

Finally!! A GIBs panel!! Makes me wanna push the horn button just because.

Here are two I found a while ago from Sky Mountain at JinJiang Action Park. I take no credit for these pictures because they aren't mine! I'm not sure where I found them, very well could be somewhere on this site. If they belong to any of you guys, please let me know and credit will be given/photos taken down!

IMG_8814.PNG.67deb1e28f7e4f0b8198d4d5ed861aa9.PNG

Sky Mountain Maintenance Sector

IMG_8815.PNG.261b5c3661c12d365407c46584c1786a.PNG

Sky Mountain Operator Sector

Does anyone have a pic of a Huss Top Spin panel?

Well, almost 3 years later, here's Dorney's (now former) Hang Time panel.

967201130_HangTime.png.02c417cb79402528107cf050a3cf0611.png

Hang Time @ Dorney Park

I have almost all the panels from Dorney if anyone is interested in one, let me know and I'll post.

Heres Steel Force:

960516205_steelfrce.png.8a3fc816ed8594d12416d680b92b85a9.png

Steel Force @ Dorney

Since the labels are blurry, heres a description:

1. Control Power ON/OFF Switch

2. EMERGENCY STOP

3. RESET Button/Light

4. MAINTENANCE/ AUTO Switch

5. Speaker Selection Dial

6. Maintenance Switch

7. B-Block Break Button/Light

8. Station Break Button/Light

9. Lift Start Button/Light

10. Transfer Break Button/Light

11. Trim Break Button/Light

12. LIFT STOP Button/Light

13. Break Zone Stop Button

14. Lap Bar Open Button

15. Lap Bar Close Button

16. Queue Gate Close Switch (Plays

Welcome Switch

17. DISPATCH Button/Light

18. Transfer Switch

19. Station Gate Lock Switch

Heres Hydra (sorry for the B&W, its all I have right now):

hydra.png.bf881114e071a1c2b3d1983b9e67d4d4.png

Hydra @ Dorney

And Thunderhawk:

thawk.png.25d49e2d8a8b744c7f4814c97a2a07df.png

Thunderhawk @ Dorney

Heres the description for this one too. I know the numbers are off a bit, but I'm sure you can all figure it out!

1. LIFT START

2. LIFT STOP

3. MAGNETIC GATE SWITCH

4. LAP BAR OPEN

5. LAP BAR CLOSED

6. PARK

7. WELCOME BACK SPEECH

8. WELCOME TO SPEECH

9. DISPATCH

10. READY BRAKE

11. TRANSFER BRAKE

12. TRIM BRAKE