TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "TPR Klassy Kruise" 2012 Update Thread!

I'm so glad I went with RCCL for my first cruise. My wife and I took our honeymoon on Freedom of the Seas (only a week after the TPR cruise on Freedom). We loved it, and definitely want to go on a cruise again. I didn't know anything about the lines, so I needed all the help I could get. Thanks to you guys, I pretty much knew my best choice would be anything but Carnival. I considered NCL for a bit, but as soon as I saw the glowing RCCL reviews I knew that was what we wanted.

And now my suspicions about Carnival are completely confirmed! I hope you left comment cards, I would pay to see those!

Funny thing...no comment cards. One of the ship people even told us "Oh, we don't do comment cards anymore, you'll get a survey emailed to you later". Haven't seen any survey in my inbox yet! I can only imagine some of the comments!

I've left critical comments about Royal Caribbean before on the cards that I figured no one actually reads and have even gotten called a few times from an actual human to discuss.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I guess you do get what you pay for. I feel bad for the people that paid for the $1000 per person rooms. The only way I will ever go on a Klassy ship like this is if I were with a bunch of people like you guys. I love taking photos, so I would no doubt have fun making fun of everything as well. I applaud you all for tempting the fates and reporting back. Loved all the updates, and while I haven't gotten through all of the video, the stuff I have seen so far is Klassic!

I am very thankful too, that my first cruising experience will be on the Dream at the end of August - officially booked on Monday!

And - I must say, while my husband does not usually partake in forums, I had him hooked on your thread. I think what got him was the, um...chili. lol.

Edit: I just realized that I rely on TPR for many reviews of things, and do come here first before checking other places out for many things! Thank you for being so awesome!!! :O)

We have sailed the Spirit class ships on Carnival several times mainly because we are addicted to the aft-wrap cabins on the Spirit class. We have always had a great time but I think it's because:

1. We keep to ourselves and always book port-intensive itineraries. Were aren't generally on the ship very much. When we are on board, we are on our giant balcony. Did I mention we love the Aft-Wraps?

2. We eat dinner in the supper club almost every night. It's $60 more for two people but we just budget that in. This is why I'm so confused about Carnival. They CAN cook awesome food. I've had steaks in the supper club that were as good as a high-end steak house. You can tell that the steaks in the MDR are flash frozen and individually shrink wrapped. They aren't even the color of steak. I know I could take the $60 a day and move up to another line but did I mention we love the Aft-Wraps?

3. I would never sail on any cruise less than 7 days. I've sailed four day cruises on RCCL that were not that great. I think what happens is the clientele on the short cruises tends to dictate the behavior of everyone aboard. I'll never forget the time we sailed the Ecstasy to Nassau on a 3 day cruise. The first night the 3 of us went to dinner we were seated with an African-American family. The waiter came to take our drink orders and he asked my daughter what she wanted to drink. The mother of the other family said, "Why did you take her order first? Is it because she's white you racist mother f-er?" We just left and went to the buffet. We swore off short cruises for good after that.

Robb got a survey emailed to him from Carnival today. I went and filled it out as honestly and constructively as I could. There wasn't a place to put your contact information or anything, but hopefully it was in the link and they can figure out what went wrong with our waitstaff and food on the sailing!

hopefully it was in the link and they can figure out what went wrong with our waitstaff and food on the sailing!
At first I read that as "food on the ceiling," and thought there must be another good story that we hadn't heard yet!

^^I have been seeing a bunch of Carnival ads, some of them on TPR videos I believe. Heck, one of them even shows an Arrow coaster that appears to be stuck in an inversion, followed by the usual "everyone deserves a better vacation" slogan.

Carnival wants to make themselves appear superior to an amusment park. Well, with worse food, employees, and fewer activites, how are they any better than a Six Flags? What park are they comparing themselves to, Fuji Q?

I loved your report on the Karnival Krusty Klown Krooze. We just returned from an Ecstasy funfest.

Your picture of the meatloaf had me gagging on a flashback.

Cruising around in circles between Nassau and Freeport seemed ridiculous.

Coming home from Freeport to Port Canaveral the winds were broadside from the east gusting to 40 mph. My wife almost slept with her life jacket on as we rolled around in bed...not in a good way.

It was indeed our first and last cruise. There were two highlights, the comedian Jim McCue was hilarious ripping on a drunk guy in the front row and the fact that we turned the clocks ahead so we spent one less hour on the scow.

^ Welcome to TPR and thanks for posting! I beg of you to not let your cruise on the Ecstasy ruin you for cruising forever... as they say - "It gets better". Not only is Carnival the bottom of the barrel of major lines - you sailed on the bottom of the barrel of its ships. I urge you to try an RCCL cruise - even a cheap 3 or 4 day one for a contrasting experience. I have a feeling you will not only change your mind, but love it!

What park are they comparing themselves to, Fuji Q?

Though I really hate to admit it,

after going to Fuji-Q last summer with TPR,

and now after reading this tour report...

I think Fuji-Q is the better deal, than Carnival.

^ It was pretty gross. I mean, they were really hyping up the deck party with the "anniversary cake" and I was expecting it would be like one of those giant table cakes or something, as we've seen them on other ships as part of just a regular midnight buffet, but it really just looked like someone picked up a normal sheet cake from Publix about an hour before the party.

Again, just one more little thing we shook our heads at.... Oh, Carnival!

What a disgusting ship! How did you guys survive?! Now I would never go on that ship for free.

But why would you go on one of their oldest, ugliest ships out there? Your bound to get that terrible service on that piece of junk! Should've tried a dream class ship if you dared to enter a Carnival ship. They are the only Carnival ships I'll ever even think about going on.

When's the TPR cruise on Allure of the Seas again?!

But why would you go on one of their oldest, ugliest ships out there? Your bound to get that terrible service on that piece of junk!

It really should not be that way, if you're selling a product you don't give up on it because it is old and unattractive, just ask Julia Roberts.

But why would you go on one of their oldest, ugliest ships out there? Your bound to get that terrible service on that piece of junk! Should've tried a dream class ship if you dared to enter a Carnival ship. They are the only Carnival ships I'll ever even think about going on.

But that's a terrible way to operate a company! We went on this ship to see what the level of service and guest satisfaction that Carnival offers. We didn't want to spend a lot of money to get terrible service.

We just recently cruised on Jewel of the Seas, which does shorter cheaper trips for the same price as the Carnival Ecstasy. That ship and crew maintained the same expected level of quality as Royal Caribbean's top of the line ships. Sure, the amenities weren't the same, but the level of guest satisfaction is equal.

If Royal Caribbean can pull off doing a $300, 4-day cruise with great service, high quality food, and a top level of guest satisfaction, there is simply no excuse why Carnival, or any other cruise line shouldn't be able to do this same.

I'm not wrong am I?

We gave Carnival a chance, and they completely impressed us with their ability to blow right past all preconceived notions and establish all new lows in Guest Service and Satisfaction. I will never sail them again, and I would not recommend anyone else does either.

If you're a fan of Wal-Mart clientele and Golden Corral quality food, knock yourself out! (literally!)

--Robb "We are doing the Allure again in 2013!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

If Royal Caribbean can pull off doing a $300, 4-day cruise with great service, high quality food, and a top level of guest satisfaction, there is simply no excuse why Carnival, or any other cruise line shouldn't be able to do this same.

I'm not wrong am I?

No you are not wrong. It doesn't matter if the ship is 60 years old, the quality of service and food shouldn't depend on the ship. What they served you on this ship should be illegal. I am surprised none of you are in a hospital with food poisoning. I have never cruised before this January, so we tried a 4 day on the Liberty of the Seas to see if we would like it. Totally loved the experience. Now i would never set foot on a carnival ship thanks to you guys.

BTW when you are doing your Dubai-India cruise do take an excursion on the houseboats in the Backwaters of Allapuzha if you get the chance. It is a relaxing way to see the real beauty of God's Own Country (which is what the state of Kerala is called by BTW).

But that's a terrible way to operate a company! We went on this ship to see what the level of service and guest satisfaction that Carnival offers. We didn't want to spend a lot of money to get terrible service.

We just recently cruised on Jewel of the Seas, which does shorter cheaper trips for the same price as the Carnival Ecstasy. That ship and crew maintained the same expected level of quality as Royal Caribbean's top of the line ships. Sure, the amenities weren't the same, but the level of guest satisfaction is equal.

I'm not wrong am I?

We gave Carnival a chance, and they completely impressed us with their ability to blow right past all preconceived notions and establish all new lows in Guest Service and Satisfaction. I will never sail them again, and I would not recommend anyone else does either.

If you're a fan of Wal-Mart clientele and Golden Corral quality food, knock yourself out! (literally!)

--Robb "We are doing the Allure again in 2013!" Alvey

Heck no! You're totally right, Carnival sucks! I don't even know if they are comparable to Wal-Mart lol! Maybe K-Mart! It's too bad they have these ships still, I mean really, that picture of the stairwell you posted is such a disgrace to their company!

I'll take a RCCL ship any day!

I just got an email from a radio station about the band 311 doing a cruise in May. I thought that would be a very interesting and fun first cruise. I looked into it some more, and they'll be sailing on a Carnival ship. Even though a band is sponsoring the cruise and I'm sure they'll be on one of the nicer ships, I just can't let my first cruise ever be on a Carnival ship. I'm going to look into some RCCL options now.