TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

KONY 2012 - Spread The Word

A113

Firstly, I am aware that this is in the wrong thread; however, I firmly believe it is IMPERATIVE that you are all aware of this and share this with your closest friends and family.

In short, Joseph Kony is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government. Kony abducts innocent children of Uganda, brutally forcing them to murder innocent civilians as well as their parents, and for years has been building this LRA.

He is currently not very well known in popular society, and by getting his name out there, the public opinion of the people validates the demand to have Kony arrested. If his name is not spread, the United States government will consider the effort to arrest him trivial.

Again, I sincerely apologize for posting this in the wrong thread, but this is for an important world cause. I am asking that you all ​please spread the word.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is currently not very well known in popular society, and by getting his name out there, the public opinion of the people validates the demand to have Kony arrested. If his name is not spread, the United States government will consider the effort to arrest him trivial.

Why should the US be responsible for his capture when the United Nations has already indicted him? Is Joseph Kony any worse than Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden? There are dozens of Joseph Kony's out there and the humane world should be made known of all them. Wasn't Kony the inspiration for the back story of Mr Eko in LOST?

Whenever the US steps in and tries to be the world's policemen every terrorist organization uses it as further ammunition to recruit. I'm all for capturing, castrating and publicly executing these animals, but the US public needs to be supportive and the US government needs to go after all of these criminals.

I see this topic becoming a hot bed for politics. In my personal opinion I don't believe that the United States should stand alone as the worlds police force. In theory the UN is in place to take that role and therefore any possible arrest should be done through them. I could say a whole lot more on this topic, but I don't want to dive into a political philosophy debate on TPR.

People seem to be in uproar about this. As if it somehow is changing their lives. And that they're amazingly great people for standing up and posting the exact same thing millions of people have likely already done... It's rebellious and individualist. In a conformist sort of way... I can say that there's a baby seal being clubbed somewhere right now, doesn't mean the government is suddenly going to get up and save it.

We are infact asking the country to go to war. Nobody wants that. We complain when we get involved with other countries affairs... and we complain when we don't get involved in country's affairs. I don't find this important at all actually, as all sides know he is evil.

Edited by grrt

Sad to see so many people supporting such a mediocre organization. Don't get me wrong, the message is riveting, but there are tons of other charities out there better than the Invisible Children (AMREF US, Children of our Nations, etc.) that people could be supporting. I'm a junior in high school and the Kony 2012 campaign spread like wildfire on the internet, but honestly, after April 20th, how many of these supporters are going to continue helping the cause?

Remember that nothing is as simple or easy as the movies make it. Also, you are not a social activist or a better human being by sharing the movie.

It really isn't as simple as arresting Kony. Not to say he shouldn't be arrested, but I sincerely encourage people to read more about the issue and learn more about it, other than just watching a piece of propaganda, whose sole purpose is to convince you of something and give the group money.

^ It's not like they haven't lobbied the government to take it into THEIR hands. All they're advocating is that people talk about this, and continue to do so. No one's asking you to grab an AK-47 and fight alongside the National Army (who, yes, is also not perfect in their ways.....I get it). Hell, no one's even demanding that you to give Invisible Children money. If bringing the issue to light sparks debate about how the international community can go about the situation as a whole, then how is this effort bad?

I'm kind of discouraged by the simultaneous dissection of their efforts just as quickly as this message exploded virally. The bottom line is that people are suffering, and someone's trying to do something about it. Just because things aren't 100% perfect on either side of this situation doesn't mean everyone should fold up camp. That's how countries turn to crap in the first place.

It's nice to know many of you support the janitorial approach to the world's humanitarian problems....."eh, we'll just sweep it under the rug, and it'll go away eventually." That's mighty white of you.

I support these guys and their efforts. It's admirable, despite a lot of people's reactions to their over polished campaign for good.

You guys do realize that the whole region is filled with government corruption and human rights violations, right?

So is the UAE....but they have something to offer us.

^I totally get what you are saying and I am definitely not apathetic to the situation.

The thing is there are lots of channels out there for these type of conversations to be discussed. And it is totally fine to share this campaign on here. The problem lies in the fact that anytime something remotely political is discussed on Theme Park Review, it always turns into a flame war. You just can't talk politics and not have it lead to a heated discussion. That is why, political topics are almost always locked on this forum. As long as the purpose/direction of this thread remains on getting awareness out there, then it is perfect fine in my opinion. (I am speaking for myself and not other moderators here)

So, while some of us may appear apathetic about this, it doesn't necessarily mean that is the case. It is just that we don't put our political caps on when we sign on to this forum.

Edited by ernierocker

^ It's not like they haven't lobbied the government to take it into THEIR hands. All they're advocating is that people talk about this, and continue to do so. No one's asking you to grab an AK-47 and fight alongside the National Army (who, yes, is also not perfect in their ways.....I get it). Hell, no one's even demanding that you to give Invisible Children money. If bringing the issue to light sparks debate about how the international community can go about the situation as a whole, then how is this effort bad?

I'm kind of discouraged by the simultaneous dissection of their efforts just as quickly as this message exploded virally. The bottom line is that people are suffering, and someone's trying to do something about it. Just because things aren't 100% perfect on either side of this situation doesn't mean everyone should fold up camp. That's how countries turn to crap in the first place.

It's nice to know many of you support the janitorial approach to the world's humanitarian problems....."eh, we'll just sweep it under the rug, and it'll go away eventually." That's mighty white of you.

I support these guys and their efforts. It's admirable, despite a lot of people's reactions to their over polished campaign for good.

I have not always agreed with things you have posted on here, but seriously, thank you for this.

I don't think it's the fact their promoting the message, but HOW. They don't really seem to be doing a thing, yet they're still squandering donations. I'm all for getting rid of Kony, but by saying, let's all talk about him, that'll get him captured, isn't much better than, let's just forget about him, he'll go away. Plus, I don't think America in particular is in the position to help anyways. The organization is advocating violent means, and I certainly don't want a war just because some people who suddenly think they're activists posted a video, or hashtagged a crap ton. I think if Invisible Children were to hand over their donations to a charity willing to actually do something, it wouldn't be so bad, but they're likely not going to do that, and will use a lot of the money on themselves, or more propaganda. I find them overall to be a rather mediocre charity.

It's great they are trying to increase awareness of just how f*cked up things are in the region, but the problem is that video is designed to stir up your emotions and only support their cause. The majority of the people watching the video aren't going to take the time to do more research and discover the whole region is f*cked and that supporting the Ugandian army (and a charity with questionable finances) might not be the best solution...

I'm still baffled by the masses of people who feel that a Tumblr written by a sophomore in college is more empirically substantive, unbiasedly objective or factually supported than the main video in question (although I'm not suggesting that's what was being done in this thread). I've seen many people link to it as a sort of "IC sucks, see? He says so. Check, and mate!" type of thing. I appreciate as a sort of "reality check" on Invisible Children, but I think more and more lemmings are using it as blindly as the original video. As I see it, it's advocating more complete awareness on the issue, not refuting the overall mission. And it's doing so with its own fault, much like the original impetus. But at least it was done with fewer donation dollars, so that's good.

I'm not financially supporting Invisible Children, but I fully support their cause. There are other causes and charities/NGOs I've been vested in longer and to a greater degree, but to me, that doesn't devalue the objective here.

I'm still baffled by the masses of people who feel that a Tumblr written by a sophomore in college is more empirically substantive, unbiasedly objective or factually supported than the main video in question (although I'm not suggesting that's what was being done in this thread).

Of note is that none of the members of the Board of Directors have any diplomatic background or related degrees (CLICKY). The staff is primarily businessmen and filmmakers.

A few thoughts considering I've already thrown myself into the flames: I believe those involved have good consciences and do believe in their cause. I believe that they are not even slightly versed well enough in international relations considering the depth of their involvement and time committed, which tells a lot about them. I believe that their answer is not the right answer, which is unfortunate because they have made a great film with a good intentions. Ostracizing and spewing bad recommendations to the youth population sure as hell isn't going to help our government start functioning well or the International Criminal Court bring Kody to justice any sooner.

This is simply what I believe (note emphasis), take it or leave it.

EDIT: Read this, it frames my mindset and the mindset of diplomatically conscious people darn well: http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2012/03/08/why-you-should-feel-awkward-about-the-kony2012-video/