TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: USF/IOA- Rock The Universe Weekend- September 9-10

To describe Rock The Universe to you, basically its the weekend of Jesus in Orlando. Basically, I was there with the church and the two main reasons of going; 1. Mummy, 2. Relient K. There, now on to the report, and pics will be up later.

PART 1 OF 3: Mummeh and its a small world on acid

I first arrived at the park with my youth leader Gary and I. Got our tickets and wristbands into the park and said I could go to ROTM bymyself. So, eager anticipation made me rush over to ROTM and got into the single riders line. Yes, since the park was crowded, the wait was 45 minutes, but Single Riders was 10 minutes. I entered and got Row 2 for my first ride on ROTM.

This is my first time on a Premier coaster and my first launched coaster in a while. Anyways, I missed Kongfrontation (in which its closing date was last Thursday three years ago ). On ROTM, you go through a little dark rideish introduction where some kid mummy tells you to turn around. Then Imhotep sucks his soul out and does the usual villain thing. After a few special effects such as the beetles, you then roll back. It wasnt much though, then after that, the track turns towards the launch track and you incline up toward the launch.

The launch was decent, but not as intense as I expected, after the launch, twist turns and various other Imhotep thingys blur by. And there was a crapload of airtime on this baby. After the first half, you stop and it looks just like a station until Imhotep again launches you. The second drop kicked ass and had more sweet airtime. After a few more jerks and twists, its over. It felt short to me, but then again, you SoCal'ers have the even shorter version. Overall, ROTM gets an 8.5/10 from me.

After ROTM, I then went over to Shrek 4D where it had a short line of 15 minutes. I waited and got on. The ride had a nice little presentation before the main show and this movie perfectly bridges Shrek 1 and 2. Of course, family friendly and the like, it was great fun. Shrek gets a 8/10 for me.

After Shrek, I then met up with Chris and Kevin. When they came, we decided to ride ROTM. I know this may peeve some users, but yes, we abused the single rider line *expects gunshot from members*. After another kickass ride on Mummy, we then went over to MIB: Alien Attack.

Ahh, I love Sally Dark Rides. After waiting in line for a half hour, I liked this ride A LOT. Of course, it involves shooting aliens and such... and then being eaten. I got a score of around 37,000 the first time, I don't get how to score extremely high on Sally Rides though... But I still thought MIB was great and it gets a 7.5/10.

After MIB, we decided to head over to the park's other alien related ride... ET. With a 10 minute wait, we felt like we wasted our time. Of course, I haven't ridden this since I was little, so... Of course, this is the ride where you board bikes and such and that you could fake your name. So for the first night, I decided to fake as Bill Gates, of course, the op only typed in Bill . Oh well, who cares, on to the ride. Of course, you begin off into the woods where the feds are trying to arrest you for possession and having an alien. The only part that peeved me out was the part where you are on top of the police car. Felt so unrealistic when the bike "jumped". After that, your bikes rise up over the city, etc. Then your still rising into space and here comes the cheesiest special effect. A wall light that looks like something you could buy at Spencers before you turn down on to ET's home planet. Now this is the part where it seems like its a small world on acid. All of the creatures before AND after ET healed them, they still had this "JUST SHOOT ME!" look. After the ride, my friends and I made wisecracks about the ride. My friend Chris said,"If you want a place to practice for MIB, this is it." ET gets a 4/10 from me, I think its time has come and I wouldn't mind it being removed. Heck, I wish this was removed instead of Kongfrontation for ROTM... Oh well...

After the acid trippin MIB training session ride. We then walked over to an attraction that actually kicks ass, despite a 20 min wait. Yep, Terminator 2 3D, you know a show kicks ass when it has an Arnold wannabe actor and stuff blowing up and portals and that kind of stuff. T2:3D of course gets a 7/10.

After T2, we then went over to the "So outdated, this is a flashback to 1990!" ride, BTTF. Anyways, we all know the plot for BTTF, and we all know what 88 MPH is. Of course, this ride was exactly what I remembered it to be from when I was younger. Biff steals the car, yatta yatta... Bop him, yatta yatta, the Professor is crazy. Yes, this ride is dated, a LOT, and it seems like the film for the ride was getting fuzzier. Also, the ride was rougher and made my head slam against the dash in some of the sequences. If you want to lower your IQ a few points or be inspired to invent a time travelling car, this attraction gets a 6/10 from me.

After BTTF, it was around midnight, and most of the rides began to close. Good thing though, Mummy was still running! So, we got back into the 20 minute line and rode ROTM again. Of course, it kicked ass... and this time I had the front row. But one thing arose, my friend Chris was a dumbass (pardon me French) for losing his cellphone out of a loose pocket. He lost it, and we had to spend the last half hour at Guest Services...

The first night of Rock The Universe was great, ROTM rocked, etc. Expect pics and Part 2: Dr. Snooze and Stray Cats at IOA later. This night got an 8.5/10, despite crowds, at least ROTM made up for it. I didn't take any pics of Mummy since that shot of the entry would be so generic...

PICT0017a.jpg.dc77123fc387c2136d5e8859f1919c83.jpg

Holy Themeparks Batman! We are at Universal, not Six Flags! WTF? (Sorry for the blurriness)

PICT0014a.jpg.3b75abd958aa9fe40c393aceac5b5a67.jpg

GRR... I'm Shrek in soundstage 4D!

PICT0011a.jpg.41e77e4efbbcc824a37c346ac8307fa7.jpg

The entrance, Jesus loves Universal.

Edited by Homer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What no Jimmy Neutron? Oh well. I am glad you liked The Mummy. Yeah its on the short side but like you said you do get some crazy airtime on it. The 2nd drop always gets me. I have not been on E.T. in at least over 10 years, and Im not planning on going on it anytime soon. Unless R & E force us on it in October. Beh! Anyways, looking forward to your pictures.

I have to confess being both puzzled and put off by Christian days at themeparks. I'm sure that blood-sacrifice spirituality and "Blessed are the peacemakers" has something to do with shooting MIB aliens and enjoying the obviously pagan hoop-de-doo of ROTM, but for the life of me, I can't imagine what it is. (Aside, that is, from competing definitions of "airtime.") I mean, if you guys were really putting "faith 'n action," wouldn't you have canceled the trip and sent the money to New Orleans? Oh well, I'm sure your youth leader loves the references to LSD in your TR.

Going to SFGAdv to ride KK - now that's an act of faith.

They're just a demographic to make money off of. Especially since it's the most prevalent religion. Disney holds Gay Days for the same reason. I don't really like the idea of events designated for a single demographic being held in a public theme park.

Why don't they sell the idea to The Holy Land Experience? No evil mummies there.

They're just a demographic to make money off of. Especially since it's the most prevalent religion. Disney holds Gay Days for the same reason. I don't really like the idea of events designated for a single demographic being held in a public theme park.

Why don't they sell the idea to The Holy Land Experience? No evil mummies there.

No major thrills either .

That is until the build the Holy Roller Coaster. I don't think thats going to happen though.

I mean, if you guys were really putting "faith 'n action," wouldn't you have canceled the trip and sent the money to New Orleans?

You first Shepp. Cancel your plans. Be the model human being that you are. My gawd you're baggin on someone half your age but won't put up and lead by example

This year it looked like Universal had a solid line up. When I was at GF the other night, you could hear the music well across the lake. A friend of mine vip toured mercy me around the parks (last year was Stryper).

I mean, if you guys were really putting "faith 'n action," wouldn't you have canceled the trip and sent the money to New Orleans?

You first Shepp. Cancel your plans. Be the model human being that you are. My gawd you're baggin on someone half your age but won't put up and lead by example

Well, a) we're talking about a gathering of people who adhere to a faith in which charity is the ultimate good. Therefore, one would expect that they would above all Do Good Works, even if it meant giving up a ride on Jaws. I'm quite aware, though, that many (not all) Theme Park Christians are part of the fundy-ish Salvation By Faith crowd, and they figure what they ride or don't ride doesn't affect their chances of salvation, just what they believe while they ride it.

and b) With all due respect, you have no idea what I do or don't do. I'm not a Christian, though, and so feel as de facto exempt from Christian do's and don'ts as Christians do from Levitical dietary laws. I will say, though, since I done been challenged, that in my life I've put in literally thousands of hours of volunteer work for organizations I've believed in. And I didn't vote for the ostentatiously Christian fellow in the White House who put waging war over building levees.

Also, c) As I've said before, folks: please keep it in church. Christians who insist on wearing "You're going to Hell unless you believe in Him"-type T-shirts - complete with gory pix of the crucifiction - to theme parks are making themselves every bit as pushily offensive as I'd be if I wore my "Jesus Lives - Vampires Never Die" T for a day of coastering.

"Jesus Lives - Vampires Never Die" T for a day of coastering.

Well, there is more to faith in Christ or spirituality than good works or self discipline -- there are other core ways to look at faith. There is a mystical spirituality, devotional spirituality, the spirituality of the loving community, and the ethical spirituality. So, I don't agree with you -- do good works isn't the ultimate good nor is that ever solely preached about in New Testament texts -- there is no ultimate good, just different forms of good (depending on your emphasis) with downsides. The ultimate good is love -- and that's a lot of different things: not doing volunteering only (although it is a part).

The downside to your lens of 'charity as the ultimate good' to me is obvious. You automatically pre judge people as being withholding, and if they don't pass the bill (which they invariably don't) you shame those who don't discipline themselves as much as you do because you broadly paint humanity (outside of yourself) as being withholding. Which is a curious thing -- because its a vicious catch 22 that perspective/assumption.

What's sad is that your faith in good works or charity is actually so extreme, its unkind (to those who you deem inadequate) -- which isn't love.

So, I question your faith (in good works as being the ultimate good).

Now, every perspective on spirituality has its flaws -- that's why its best to present the whole package....and that's why I was holding you to your own standard -- of charity. That's great that you pass your own bill, but your standards should only apply to you, because they are your standards.

You also aren't aware of maybe the extent of this kids spirituality that might be on a different plane from yours. What if he's more concerned with creating and maintaining or being a part of a loving community? Then he would be darn right obligated to do this group activity regardless of where it was heading. Community might be more important to him (a loving one) than self discipline. WHICH IS O.K.

My point is; everybody, everything has their pro/s and cons, including you and me. So why judge a person? We are all equal...so why treat yourselves any differently.

On the flip side, if we are all unequal, are you sure its charity that separates us all? I can think of at least 4 other things.

Are you seeing how your attitude keeps you in a loosing streak?

enough preaching --

Rant Off.

Back on topic ...

PART 2: Dr. Snooze and Stray Cats and Draggins.

Part two began as my group entered the park at around 10 AM. First things first, I went over to the one ride I haven't rode at IOA. I was going to go to the Incredible Hulk first, but lack of single rider and an hour wait turned me away...

What was that one ride you ask? Dr. Doom's Fearfall, or as I like to call it, Dr. Snooze.

So, I went to the single rider line, and waited... and waited... and waited. The line was slow moving since one of the towers were broken down. But after an hour of waiting... I finally went on my first S&S Tower. I was expecting a fast launch, but instead, it felt like a high speed elevator. I at least got the seats with the good view of IOA ("Dungeon" 3). After the first launch, the ride was... zzz... Yep, this tower wasn't as insane as I expected, hence why I calls it Dr. Snooze. Uber waste of time, 5/10.

After Dr. Snooze, I decided to go to a ride that didn't have a long wait and is the most insane water ride on the planet. Yep, Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls. Midway through the line, I felt like this was my worst day at IOA. Suddenly the ride breaks down, and extends the wait from a 1/2 hour to 65 minutes. Peeved even more, at least this ride was thrilling. I always liked that insane last drop into the dynamite shack and the airtime. This ride scares the crap out of me, 8.5/10.

After Dudely Do Right's, I went over to the only coaster of the day. Dueling Dragons Fire, but this ride had probably the shortest wait of the day at only 20 minutes. Took two snapshots of Draggin's and then boarded the second to last row for an insane ride. This ride is CRAZY! The ride never loses the crazy G's or the speed throughout the course and the interaction with Ice was great. DD:F gets a 9/10 from me, now this is what Montu SHOULD be.

After a kickass ride on Fire, I went over to Toon Lagoon to meet up with the others and had lunch at Dagwood's. During my meal, just about everybody spotted a stray kitten inside the fenced off area around Bilge Rat Barges. I was like "WTF? Since when did people bring cats to theme parks?". I then asked a worker and said the cats were wild, yadda yadda... After a great lunch, I then went over to the last ride of the day since we had to leave the park at 4 to meet up with another group at the hotel. The last ride, Jurassic Park.

I haven't rode this ride in a while and it always intimidated me. The wait wasn't bad, with only a 1/2 hour wait, and then we were on the boat. This ride was alright with the usual kickass theming. And of course, you can never forget the B&M Invert in a cage that drops down on you . After that, you know the ending, T-rex, yadda yadda. Nice drop and huge splash and thats the end. JP:RA gets a 7.5/10 from me.

After JP, we were heading back to the hotel and I saw Posucksion's Fury. Again, the ride was down for "rehab", I thought to myself. "Change that sign to "We are currently including less special effects and sh*ttier scripts for your enjoyment!"

After a mediocre day at IOA, I hoped USO the second night would be better. Guess not...

LoL, Posuckson's Fury (Posideon's Fury) is closed right because because they are transforming it into a Haunted House for HHN. I guess I am the only person on the planet who seems to enjoy Dr. Snooze (Dr Doom). Yet again, I never wait for than 5 mins for it. Funny how the single rider's line seemed to go real slow. Actually it sounded like the park was pretty crowded the day you went with Dueling Dragons being 20mins and The Hulk being 60. I guess it's because of Rock the Universe that weekend. Good TR btw, just waiting for more pictures

Edited by Erik Johnson

"Jesus Lives - Vampires Never Die" T for a day of coastering.

The downside to your lens of 'charity as the ultimate good' to me is obvious. You automatically pre judge people as being withholding, and if they don't pass the bill (which they invariably don't) you shame those who don't discipline themselves as much as you do because you broadly paint humanity (outside of yourself) as being withholding. Which is a curious thing -- because its a vicious catch 22 that perspective/assumption.

What's sad is that your faith in good works or charity is actually so extreme, its unkind (to those who you deem inadequate) -- which isn't love.

So, I question your faith (in good works as being the ultimate good).

Are you seeing how your attitude keeps you in a loosing streak?

enough preaching --

Rant Off.

Well, yeah...like I said, you don't know me, so it's really the height of presumption to assume I'm on a losing streak. Neither did I say I had "faith" that charity was some sort of ultimate good. I'll leave it to the Catholics and Protestants to argue whether salvation by works trumps salvation by faith - if memory serves, they've even killed one another over such arcane issues.

But y'see, I made a few off-hand comments about faith-based park events, and you, in good Christian fashion, put words in my mouth and decided I'm a loser. I happen to know quite a bit about religious faith and spiritualty: I majored in philosophy in college, did meditation, and am pretty widely read. (Including the works of the Jesus Seminar, which in its scholarly way points out how much of the NT is Just Made Up.) I've also traveled in Moslem, Jewish, Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist cultures, and have read many of their respective texts. I have nothing at all against sprituality, buit when it comes to organized religion, I'm considerably closer to Bill Maher than Pope Benedict Whatever.

However, this is all way off-topic.

Veering back on topic, I reiterate: it's hard to imagine wizened ol' Saint Paul getting excited about seeing T23D, and I really find it offensive when (as often, often happens) I see some guy in a park wearing a shirt that reminds me I'm damned to eternal hellfire and he's not, nyah nyah nyah. And I still don't get what the connection between the Beatitudes and Six Flags might be. But I've gassed on more than enough, I guess. If you'll pardon me, I'm going to go sacrifice a virgin to Satan...

My opinion, Jesus is anything... for all I know, he could become cheese and become known as Cheesus!

-Carl "Trying to end controversey here, with CHEESE!" F.

And now onto something completely different, PICS!:

PICT0031a.jpg.8053ac045bcac6c6bcdc780f4339b011.jpg

Posucksons Fury... being rehashed... again...

PICT0024a.jpg.34b04384dd88a5b7daf29056ada30185.jpg

Draggin's... Yes, youve seen this shot a zillion times on rcdb...

PICT0020a.jpg.bbf0b2d7afc078036d038503f6f15fc8.jpg

The Hulk... didn't ride thanks to no Single Rider =(

Edited by Homer

Can we talk about cheesus though? I actually have devoted myself to cheese (both in consumption and humor) from a very young age.

Really, it's a meta-joke if you think about it.

Oh, and the pics are pretty--keep the trip reports coming

***edit***

Maybe they should create little animatronic dogs to keep the kitties from going feral?

Can we talk about cheesus though? I actually have devoted myself to cheese (both in consumption and humor) from a very young age.

Really, it's a meta-joke if you think about it.

Oh, and the pics are pretty--keep the trip reports coming

***edit***

Maybe they should create little animatronic dogs to keep the kitties from going feral?

This is actually very funny.

I do get heated when I see criticism -- and I do get angry at people when they get critical at others. It really bothers me because its incredibly unkind and hypocritical to critisize. I for one would love to see coaster pictures regardless of what religion a person belongs to (cheese or otherwise) or what they do in their spare time, or behind their bedroom door. And I won't be so insecure as to use a coaster forum as a spring board for attacking someone's religious beliefs or calling them into question.

But attacking people who criticize? I'll take that opportunity any day any forum