TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Angry Birds Land Coming to Särkänniemi

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=299896&site=AM&dom=N

Särkänniemi theme park in Tampere, Finland will house the world's first Angry Birds-themed visitor attraction later this year.

The Angry Birds Land will be based on the popular mobile game which was developed by Finnish gaming company Rovio Entertainment.

Miikka Seppälä, chief executive of Särkänniemi said: "We wanted to create a unique themed area and associate it with a strong and well-known brand.

"The Angry Birds characters were born in Finland but known worldwide by people of all ages. This is a perfect fit for our Adventure Park."

No details were revealed on the exact content of the new attraction, but Seppälä confirmed that it would mix a number of elements, including rides, a gaming area and a 'Magic Place' where the physical and virtual worlds would "combine to create an interactive entertainment experience."

The attraction will be designed in collaboration between Särkänniemi, Rovio Entertainment and exhibition and attractions design company BDR Design.

The Angry Birds zone will open to the public on 28 April.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any idea on what ride you could theme to the Angry Birds though?

Well, I hope they'll come up with something more elaborate

than a spinner flat ride - each vehicle being one of The A Birds, lol.

But - they could have this too - and something else more...

elaborate? How about an enclosed mouse coaster,

themed to AB? Possible.

Sorry to break this to you all, but I don't really see this as such big or great news at all. You see, the area that's currently being "refurbished" is very minimal, I'd say about five kiddie rides, max. They have indeed something already going on: they have removed the park's dark ride (and as far as I know, it's not coming back) and dismantled the kiddie coaster Vauhtimato as well as a couple of kiddie rides in the nearby area. The park's management says all the rides will stay, but some will be relocated. And the thing about interactivity... well, you can check this link and see for yourselves...

As much as I, too, would LOVE to have something even better than Tornado at Särkänniemi, this news actually made me a bit sad. All this mega-hype for an Angry Birds -themed swingset.

They have indeed something already going on: they have removed the park's dark ride (and as far as I know, it's not coming back)

Was Torni Orlochlessin removed, or was there another dark ride in the park? I think this dark ride was located in the kiddie area, but I'm not 100% certain.

• 1 month later...

Särkänniemi is still doing their best to keep details and pictures of their Angry Birds area a secret until it opens.

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Angry+Birds+Land+hoped+to+become+Tampere+amusement+park%E2%80%99s+new+hit+attraction+/1329103839251

Angry Birds Land hoped to become Tampere amusement park’s new hit attraction

There is apparently no end to journalists' appetite for Angry Birds.

No less than 1,700 media outlets around the globe have already written about what can be seen from the Näsinneula observation tower in Tampere, Finland.

At the foot of the tower, in the Särkänniemi Amusement Park, there is a small area housing a gigantic wooden climbing frame surrounded by smaller familiar amusement park rides and attractions. What combines all of them is Finland’s latest export craze: green pigs and furious psychotic avians.

The launch of the world’s first official Angry Birds Land will take place on Saturday of next week, when the amusement park opens its doors for the summer season.

For now, Särkänniemi still wants to keep its avian wonderland as a secret, which means that the attraction must not be photographed up close before next week’s official launch.

There has been a lot of interest towards Angry Birds Land. In the coming weeks dozens of media folks from around the world are expected to visit Tampere.

The builders are already in a hurry. The area should be totally ready by June 8th.

“We are working in three shifts. Almost day and night”, says Särkänniemi managing director Miikka Seppälä.

“For example today (Wednesday) we were supposed to lay stamped concrete [dyed concrete cast in place and

stamped with different moulds to impress patterns on the surface] on some of the area, but the weather did not permit this”, Seppälä says.

They laying of such concrete would have required dry weather and a minimum temperature of +5 degrees Celsius around the clock.

In recent days there has been sleet coming down in Tampere and the night-time temperatures have dropped below freezing.

“Every morning and throughout each day we have had to change our minute-by-minute schedules because of the weather.”

The February announcement by Särkänniemi and the games developer Rovio of the coming Angry Birds Land attraction took many people by surprise.

Seppälä says that this is a million-euro investment, which will pay itself back to the Tampere taxpayers.

“Last summer we had 500,000 visitors. I believe that this will add another 100,000 to that figure. “

To give way to the suicidal avians, an old ghost-train ride had to be demolished, but this attraction was more or less past by its use-by-date anyway.

So what can we expect?

“It is not just one ride or adventure attraction, but an entire park inside of a park for the whole family. There will be physical, visual, and virtual attractions there”, Seppälä explains.

What distinguishes the Angry Birds Land from many traditional amusement park attractions is that the adventure course is not powered by electricity. One has to use his own muscles.

The park guest himself is the angry bird.

Seppälä also envisions that in the near future the Särkänniemi Angry Birds attraction would have totally unique features, unavailable anywhere else.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 weeks later...
This is my son's favorite game right now. Assuming this park is on the next Scandi tour, we owe it to him to go on the trip just for the Angry Birds Land! That will slide with my wife, right?

You don't even need to ask her Eric, just book the trip. I'm sure she will be thrilled!

I hope they have something like that sling shot they showed in China!

• 6 months later...