TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PETA Cuts The Mustard

LoneRider92

Okay, quick backstory. Located very near me is the National Mustard Museum. It's one of those quirky, unique, and very cool places run by awesome people who take mustard very seriously. Recently, the museum has run into some financial trouble and was looking for help. They got it from a very unlikely source.

A national animal rights organization is offering to help the struggling National Mustard Museum by spreading the message: "Meat doesn't cut the mustard."

After learning the museum was having financial trouble, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, better known as PETA, wrote to museum curator Barry Levenson on Thursday offering to buy an ad featuring a photo of a sexy "Lettuce Lady" that the museum would prominently display.

The woman would be shown eating a veggie dog with mustard and the caption would read: "Meat Doesn't Cut the Mustard. Try Veggie Dogs! PETA."

Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's president, also offered to provide the museum with veggie dogs or cocktail-size samples to give out.

"While your whimsical displays and mouthwatering condiment samples add to a perfect family outing, we hate to see that delicious mustard slathered on waist-expanding, artery-clogging meat," Newkirk wrote.

Levenson was amused by the offer and said he is glad to entertain it.

The Middleton shop and mustard collection sells hot dogs and brats in its gift shop and would be open to offering veggie dogs, too.

Levenson said he doesn't think the group is asking him to stop selling meat. "We don't want to offend anyone, but I look at it as something belonging in the museum," he said.

"A lot of people think of mustard as for hot dogs and don't think of mustard as something to go with vegetables," Levenson said. "And one of the parts of our mission is to educate people as to the many uses of mustard. I don't think that requires us to take sides."

He isn't sure how large PETA's ad would be, but said he likes its design. "It's a really cool, eye-catching ad."

Last week, the museum was given more time to pay off its $200,000 loan from the county. "We're going to make it," Levenson said.

Link host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/peta-offers-a-helping-hand-to-struggling-mustard-museum-with/article_63646f5c-4e0e-11e1-afdf-001871e3ce6c.html

PETA. Y U MESS WITH AWESOME THINGS NEAR ME? The help is appreciated, but the marketing seems rediculous to me.

Thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amusing. I'm vegetarian (or "pescatarian" to be technical). I think vegan/vegetarian can benefit lots of people health-wise, but it's not for everyone. I choose to be vegetarian for personal preference, not because I think I'm going to make a difference for animals in the long run.

I think it's a good idea as long as they don't try to force the museum to stop selling meat. What is always frustrating for me is how many places don't offer vegetarian options, so if PETA can inspire places that normally wouldn't sell vegetarian food to serve it, then I think that's great. But I wouldn't want them to force any place to refuse selling meat, just as I'm unhappy when a place has 0 vegetarian food.

Still... kinda a strange combination.

• 3 weeks later...
Going vegan isn't gonna cut it PETA. Less Plants= Starving Animals= Dead Animals= Meat= PETA Telling People to eat Vegan= Less Plants

Plus 90% of the Hot Dogs I eat are Kosher.

Wow that is an intelligent argument. Couldn't plants just be produced in hoards and hoards like cattle?

And who cares if the majority of the hot dogs you eat are kosher? What the hell is that supposed to mean? They are still animals being killed for consumption.