TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kia Sportage vs. Nissan Rogue

Sue

So, I'm looking at possibly getting a new car and I've narrowed it down to either the '12 Kia Sportage or '12 Nissan Rogue. Every day I keep going back and forth as far as which one I want more.

Does anyone have experience with owning either 1 of these that might be able to give me some feedback on your experiences with them to help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Sue

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the Nissan Rogue from the exterior, but as far as the drive and the interior, it was a big fail for me. Honestly, my favorite at that price point is the Hyundai Santa Fe. I had one for a week as a rental car, and it was great. It drove and handled well, had nice features, etc...

My partner has a 2007 Kia Sportage and with over 70k on it now has given him very little problems. There is a slight noise in the driver rear tire area that popped up recently that makes me wonder if his spring is going, but engine wise it's been a very nice, reliable travel vehicle. Handles good in rough weather and gets pretty good gas mileage for an SUV.

Only problem is that the newer Sportage's are much smaller than their older counterparts. My friend and his wife both bought new one's last year and I was disappointed at how much room was lost in the newer version - seemed very cramped to me compared to the roomier older versions. From my understanding, they really like it though and that's all that matters!

Can't help you on the Nissan other than you'll probably pay a lot more for a Nissan than you will a Kia. I was pricing Nissan's before I bought my Civic and couldn't believe the price tags on them...couldn't justify the increase based on reviews I hade read about them.

I just got a Sportage SX (w/ Turbo)

It is a great car... the only issues I have had with it is the awkwardly low back window (you cant see the face of someone in a taller truck or suv behind you at a stop light) and the thick pillars due to the angle of the windshield. Other than that, I just wasn't impressed with the Rouge, it felt disconnected from the road where the Sportage was a bit crisper in transmission (CVT=yuck) and handling. I was originally going to get a basic Sportage but the Turbo in the SX kind of sealed the deal for me.

And hey, it is all designed by the guy that brought Audi to be the design icon it is today... amazing how far Kia has gone.

Go with the Sportage!! Kia has come a LONG way in the past 5-10 years. Car makers know now that they can not just be mediocre anymore - they have to make good quality cars if they want to succeed. Kia/Hyundai (they are the same company) has really stepped up their game recently. Last year Hyundai was the top selling brand in America. Nissan's are good cars but the Rogue just looks like a prototype to me. It looks like they are not trying to hard with it.

We've had 4 KIA's over the years.

1999 Sephia

2003 Spectra

2007 Sportage (still have)

2010 Forte (still have)

We have never had ANY problems with any KIA we've had. On the two earlier ones, I put 80k+ on the cars within 3 years and never had any major mechanical issues.

I couldn't recommend them more. Go with the Sportage.

Nissan has had a lot of issues with overall quality perception of late..you can tell they've cheapened the interior and the tuning is a bit lackluster. The do look good on the outside in comparison.

For that price range, I think Kia is excellent value.

Really like the Kia Soul. Read a review about it and the 2012 model is a good improvement in terms of ride and engine updgrades over the outgoing model. Interior has been improved as well.

I also want to mention that with our Sportage we had kind of an "accident" about 6 months after getting it. (A big trash bin flew out of a truck and we hit it).

We were right at the 405/10 interchange and we were able to drive all the way down to Disneyland (30-40 miles), spend the weekend, then drive home (90 miles) because we had minimal body damage. The thing held up quite well.

Heard lots of great things about the Sportage too for years now.

For small 'utes, Sportage and Soul are definitely worth a look. The Forte is a great car too. Got to drive one in October - Thanks Jay!

On the Hyundai side:

The Tuscon is similar in size to the Sportage I think.

My aunt and uncle just got a Veloster and it is the coolest economy car that I've seen, but the style is totally take it or leave it.

Heard lots of great things about the Sportage too for years now.

For small 'utes, Sportage and Soul are definitely worth a look. The Forte is a great car too. Got to drive one in October - Thanks Jay!

On the Hyundai side:

The Tuscon is similar in size to the Sportage I think.

My aunt and uncle just got a Veloster and it is the coolest economy car that I've seen, but the style is totally take it or leave it.

I LOVE the Forte!!! I test drove two the family and sport version and I loved both!!

I don't quite know if it's in the same size or price range, but the Mazda CX-5 (which should start showing up in the next month or so) has been getting some pretty solid reviews. Unlike the Tribute, it's an all-Mazda design from the ground up.

Being a new model, there may be potential for some teething issues, but you might want to check it out.

^He has a very good point. If I could of counted on my old BMW getting me through to its production I would of waited to at least test drive the . Although it sure was nice being able to handle the few mornings of snow/ice MD has delivered this year!

get-attachment_aspx.jpeg.dcadc70e705f0061b2d777efeb8a9a3c.jpeg