TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain or Knott's?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SFMM: Plenty of coasters, few flats, meh food, controversial mandatory $1 l0ckers by certain coasters.

Knott's: A fair balance of flats and coasters, can't remember their food quality, bad music but otherwise good atmosphere.

Your decision, not mine.

^^L0ckers at SFMM are not mandatory anymore. Food still sucks though, but I'd factor in what attractions are in both parks before letting the food dictate your decision.

[Edit]: Unless said park was Dollywood...

I'd base my decision based on which one I'd be closer to.

They are an hour apart.. Is there a particular place you are staying? With careful planning, you could technically visit both parks.

If it's all about coasters (thrill factor/number/record-breaking/etc) = SFMM

If it's all about visiting 'America's First Theme Park' (isn't that the logo?), with a few 'decent' coasters, then Knott's.

But remember, just going to one will be like a gateway drug - at Knott's, you're about ten minutes (or less) from Disneyland.

Before any of us can really give you an answer, can you please respond to Elissa's questions? For example, if you tell us that you've been to SFMM 10 times, but never been to Knott's, I'd tell you to go to Knott's.

Having more information would help us help you.

You can fire through all or most the rides at Knotts in a matter of a couple hours, (considering the day and time you go) I'd recommend going to both, if you have the time.

Both parks have great rides you shouldn't miss if your in the area. (X2, Xcelerator, Montezuma, Tatsu, Apocalypse, etc.) So if you have the time, do both. If not, I'd pick SFMM just because the amount of quality coasters to choose from. Enjoy.

^ Considering that the original posters age is only 11, it might be an issue of the parents only want to drive to one or the other, and have told him he has to choose. If a parent isn't really interested in parks, asking them to do two big So Cal parks could be asking quite a lot.

Again, like I said, giving us more information will most certainly help us help you!

Coasters or overall atmosphere are your choice.

However, if you are selecting a day you know will be crowded, go to SFMM. Otherwise, go to Knott's for less crowds. The reason for this is Knott's generally receieved shorter lines for its coasters, but SFMM has better operations. Over Christmas, the wait for Xcelerator was 2 hours, with very dispatches and 1 train operations. The previous day, X2 had about a 90 minute wait, with little stacking of two trains.

If you only really want to ride coasters, go to SFMM.

I'll echo what most here are saying. If you want roller coasters, then go to SFMM. If you want a more thorough "theme park" experience, then go to Knott's. Xcelerator is indeed awesome (the launch is very intense), but I'd take Tatsu over Xcelerator any day. Also, if crowds are a concern for you (and if spending a significant chunk of extra cash isn't), SFMM has the FlashPass. But, keep in mind that it's rather pricey. Still, honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

I was there last June during my holiday so my observations are one-time only:

SFMM: Very good operations, all coasters with two trains - but I suspect it was due to summer-holiday crew training as I was there the week before Memorial Day, nearly no flats, meh food, depending on were you live count in some time to get there - I stayed in Long Beach and it took nearly 3 hours by car

Knotts: very slow operations, many ride-breakdowns, okay flat-selection - nothing compared to euro parks or fairs, okay food, nice western-town, if you're a Schwarzkopf fan visit for the Shuttle-Loop - better than Revolution as this has no OTSRs.

If you've only time for one choose the one closer to you, as I said the daily "carmageddon" on I-405 can get on your nerves...

If you've never been to either go the Magic Mountain. Hour drive from Knott's on the 5, (DON'T take the 405) less if you avoid traffic (I've done 45 min). The park has some of the best rides in the country in a pretty sweet environment. Don't worry about food, just leave the park for an hour and go to Claim Jumper, Panda Express or In N Out.

Knott's is okay but is a 1/2 day and limited. Except for Xcelerator (or Monte) the coasters are not even comparable.

I would suggest hitting up Disneyland for a day before going to Knott's. Want a coaster rush? Hit the Flags.

I personally think that Xcelerator is the best coaster in CA (not like that's really saying much) so I'd take Knott's.

I would agree with this. And if you like both "flats and coasters", well, SFMM doesn't have any notable flat rides to speak of, and Knott's at least has the top spin, Frisbee, and Windseeker.

If you've been to SFMM three times, and Knott's twice, I'd say why not tie up that count? Get on Xcelerator, and then next time go back to SFMM again?

That would be my suggestion...

I would look at park's websites and do a ride by ride comparison. It's all about what is appealing to you. If this is your first visit to SFMM where your'e tall enough to ride Tatsu - over the 54 inch limit, I would say head to SFMM. My niece just crossed that height limit, loved Tatsu. SFMM isn't an amazing place for those under 54 inches (compared to the local competition), but over, it's great for a coaster fan who wants to experience diversity. I would recommend checking the parks' sites to see what rides (some water rides?) and entertainment will be not operating at the time of your visit as well. SFMM's Superman is likely to be not operating due to construction for example.