TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Disney Cruise Line (DCL) Discussion Thread

Although the pricing is going to be very scary. The 10+ year old Disney ships still get a giant premium over the other lines, I can't imagine how expensive these new ones will be!

I'm fearing those prices!

RCCL is charging a pretty hefty amount for the Oasis. I'm waiting to see if those prices come down, when they can't fill the ship.

We were a bit disappointed with our last DCL cruise. The first one was great, but the second one, we noticed a lot of wear and tear on the Wonder, and that was just a couple of months after dry dock.

In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big a deal, but for the prices they charge, I didn't appreciate mold in the bathroom, broken veneer all over the cabinetry, and stained sheets with holes. Honestly, I'm not very picky, but I expect better than that from DCL.

I didn't really see a point wasting my time complaining. I don't believe these were isolated incidents, but an indication of overall decline in quality. You could see it all over the ship. Just little things.

Like I said, I'm not really picky. We still had a great cruise, regardless of the conditions, but it definitely made us question the value of the premium pricing that DCL charges. That's why we're trying RCCL, this time.

Even if the ship had been in pristine condition, I think we would still be trying RCCL for this cruise. We've heard a lot of great things about RCCL, and want to compare for ourselves.

We just don't see the value of the premium pricing, for us. Similarly, we don't find value in staying onsite at WDW, for us. We've stayed onsite many times, but find we are happier pricelining a 2.5 star offsite hotel, so we can save a lot of money and go more often.

I'm not saying it's finicky, if someone wants to complain. It just wasn't worth it, for me.

^She's right though. These are little isolated things that I guarantee you the cruise line knows about, just can do very little about. The Wonder does 3/4 day cruises (more turnaround, more wear and tear) it has drydock more often than most ships, but attracts kids and can get a little worn.

The problem is, if she chooses not to cruise DCL, there are people lining up to take her cabin! DCL pretty much sails full every sailing, and rarely if ever discounts at the last minute to try and fill empty rooms (cause they just don't have them!) They only have two ships, and limited itineraries so people just grab them no matter what. At least I have a feeling that when the new ships come out perhaps there will be some better prices for the old ships, which I will happily still cruise!

And Maureen, have fun on Royal Caribbean, I think you and the kids will LOVE it! They've become our recent favorite for sure!

Thanks! Your cruise trip reports had a big influence on our decision to try RCCL. I also have several good friends who are cruise junkies, and they have been encouraging us to try RCCL.

I know that we'll probably want to try one of the new DCL ships, eventually, when Charlotte is a bit older (she's a DCL baby, actually! )

but before Christian gets too old for it.

Maybe we'll make it a graduation present, when I get my MSN degree.

Moinab, You will love RCCL!! My families first cruise was on DCL, we chose DCL because they offered a 4 day cruise and we were familiar with Disney. We ended up loving cruising but wanted to explore more! My mom went to the travel agency and they recommended RCCL, so we booked a cruise on Navigator of the Seas. The ship was spectacular! They have the most amazing ships ever! The next one we went on was Freedom of the Seas and let me tell you, I have never had a better vacation..! My brother and I got our own room this time so we weren't cramped with our parents and our room happened to look out to the Royal Promenade and I loved it! All in all, RCCL has top service and I honestly can say I have never had a problem on their cruises and there is so much to do you really can't do everything in only one week!

Also, for the kid who asked about my age, I am 14 it just says 19 because my brother created this account and never got on and gave it to me and I just never changed it.

Also, for the kid who asked about my age, I am 14 it just says 19 because my brother created this account and never got on and gave it to me and I just never changed it.

Ermm the 'kid' that asked about your age is hardly a kid like you. He's 35 and the resident monorail wizard. Scott aka Beemerboy is a quality poster.

The return looks a little dull, but this is just an animation so maybe it'll get revised. Still awesome though.

Probably not, but I think the mentality is to have people enjoy the view of sliding high above the ship as opposed to having a bunch of dips.

The return looks a little dull, but this is just an animation so maybe it'll get revised. Still awesome though.

Probably not, but I think the mentality is to have people enjoy the view of sliding high above the ship as opposed to having a bunch of dips.

I didn't even think of that. Good possibility of that being it.

I just looked at like every section on the site and I was literally impressed with everything. I am assuming the pov of the slide was slowed down a little, but just the fact that its on a ship is awesome, and theres a star screen on the slide. The resturaunts all look awesome, and if animators palate is anything like the one on the wonder then the black and white color changing walls are stunning. I honestly think that Disney is being extremely smart as the kid as well as night clubs look to be awesome, and everything looks so well done. This is impressive.

Looks really cool . The water coater looks great (though it lack speed towards the end). Though the ship doesn't look as good as the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas which just looks awesome (IT HAS A FREAKING ON BOARD ZIP LINE ). Still really cool though. Don't think a water coaster and a lounge with a dance floor (can't believe I'm about to say this ) with a few computers (probably costs anyway) is enough to keep us teens entertained though . WE NEED ROCK CLIMBING, ZIP LINES, SURF MACHINES etc. Oh and no curfews (shame that Royal Caribbean does. REALLY IRRITATING ). This cruise, I think is more family/child friendly. Not for teens 15 - 17. If Disney want more teens, then they should start to follow Royal Caribbean's, Princess's example. Seriously .

Wow, those ships sure are top-of-the-line! I've never liked the idea of a cruise though. Not because I get seasick, I actually like boats, but because I don't want to be stranded in the Atlantic. If ships keep developing like this, I may just change my mind.

The Aquaduck is a great idea for a cruise ship. A mostly slow ride is good so you can take in the view. It's quite an impressive ship.

I did see the Oasis today for the first time, they have a great website, and man, that is stunning. A zip line, carousel, rock wall, surfing...heading towards an eventual floating theme park someday.

^^^^

Keep in mind the ship really won't (and shouldn't) appeal to teenage boys.

On the other hand I was showing KT the renderings of the Kids Club which has four different rooms: Andy's Room, Laugh Floor, Nemo, Pixie Hollow, and she was very impressed and asked to go right now.

I went on the Disney Magic when I was 19 and even though I love Disney, it was not for that age group at all. It really is more for families or HARD CORE disney fans.