TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM trip - suggestions for a cheap hotel?

Hey guys looks like we are headed to San Diego in July for business so I think we are going to fly into LAX and then spend a day at SFMM since we may never get to the West Coast again (VA guy here).

Looking for a cheap hotel near the park that isn't too filthy.

Probably getting in on Friday 7/13 and will hit the park all day on Sat 7/14. I know it will be busy but we intend to pony up for the Flash pass to maximize our ride time. I hate to spend the $$ on it but when you get one shot at a park I want to make the best of it. We used one at SFNJ and it really made the day with multiple rides on everything.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

EDIT - Also you CA natives what kind of nightmare am I facing for the drive from LA to SD on Sunday after we hit up SFMM?

Edited by GCS

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use Priceline or Hotwire, you can probably find something decent around the $65 - $75 mark. May be a bit more since it's a Friday night during peak season. Any of the hotels at the Lyons Exit or the SFMM Exit are fine. I would NOT recommend going to Castaic (north of the park) or Sylmar (south of the park).

I'm serious about this: Go to the Motel 6 in Valencia, it's actually pretty good for the price you are paying. I always visit Motel 6 for an overnight visit whenever I go to Magic Mountain.

Did they leave the light on for ya? (sorry couldn't resist)

Thanks for the input folks. I'll start checking those places out.

Greg

Sylmar is a worse area (more crime, wouldn't leave my car overnight in some of those hotel parking lots), and farther from the park.

Castaic is better than Sylmar, but North of the park so out of your way and not as nice as Valencia.

Just an FYI - The Motel 6 is in Sylmar, NOT Valencia.

Well, it's close to SFMM, I really don't know what city it is in since I'm not a local resident like you are (at the moment). Though, for cheap rates Motel 6 is good.

^^ I stayed at the Good Nite Inn in Sylmar in June 2010 for a week and had no problem whatsoever. They do have security in the parking lot at night so your car would be safe.

If you don't plan on staying at the hotel that much other than sleep I would recommend the Good Nite Inn. It is right off of I-5 which makes it a quick drive to SFMM (I think about 10 miles).

Well we will be there 2 nights I am sure.

The day we arrive (Fri) and then Sat night after we are done at the park as I see no way in the world we will want to Drive 3+ hours to SD late Sat night.

Greg

I've stayed at the Extended Stay America in Stevenson Ranch (Pico Canyon exit just south of SFMM on I-5), and have had good luck booking it through Hotwire and Orbitz. It's in a pretty nice area with other hotels and restaurants, too.

You might want to check out the Santa Clarita Motel which is 6 miles or so south east of the park.

Alternatively if you are struggling with availability at that time of year and don't mind a little drive either side, look into hotels along your route from LAX off the 405, for example the Valley Inn and Best Value Inn in Granada Hills are around the $75 mark and are good for the price according to reviews. Also the area around Van Nuys airport has some options for your budget. That way you've cut 25 minutes off your sunday drive but are still (what you'd consider in LA) "close" to SFMM.

You might want to check out the Santa Clarita Motel which is 6 miles or so south east of the park.

Alternatively if you are struggling with availability at that time of year and don't mind a little drive either side, look into hotels along your route from LAX off the 405, for example the Valley Inn and Best Value Inn in Granada Hills are around the $75 mark and are good for the price according to reviews. Also the area around Van Nuys airport has some options for your budget. That way you've cut 25 minutes off your sunday drive but are still (what you'd consider in LA) "close" to SFMM.

Hmm interesting.

Would LAX still be the best airport for us to come into then?

We are also tossing around the idea of moving SFMM to the end of our trip so we would drive up from SD on Thursday night and go to SFMM on Friday and then fly back to Richmond, VA on Sat (I guess from LAX)

Greg

The first time I went to SFMM on my own, I too stayed at the Good Nite Inn in Sylmar, first and last time. My door knob to the bathroom came right off and I was locked inside the bathroom for about 45 minutes waiting for maintenance. to get there.

I say, spend a little extra and get a nice, comfortable hotel with nice amenities.

.... Sorry really ROFLMFAO ... you don't want Santa Clarita Motel just trust me. I live in Valencia perhaps 2 miles from this motel as the crow flies..... Its on Railroad st... think about it..... Ok .. The Rail tracks are about 85 feet in front of the motel.... and trust me on this, lots and lots of trains pulling many cars use these tracks from 11pm-6am ... and they just love to blow and blow and blow the horn. Now i have no axe to grind with this motel and its been there for years and just might be a hidden gem if your deaf, but i would consider any hotel off Lyons or right near SFMM at Hilton Gardens or Holiday Inn Express. Or heck do your SFMM and then head south about 60 miles to Long Beach/Orange County and spend night away from Valencia area, all the while munching on your In-N-Out along the way.

Now i have no axe to grind with this motel and its been there for years and just might be a hidden gem if your deaf

LOL!

Edited by ernierocker