TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mass ride removal trends

Arrow Mega-loopers, suspended, and corkscrew coasters. The corkscrew coasters may start leaving next year. I talked to a Ride OP at Cedar Point and he said there were talks of removing corkscrew. Small portable coasters(galaxi) models are becoming extinct.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrow Mega-loopers, suspended, and corkscrew coasters. The corkscrew coasters may start leaving next year. I talked to a Ride OP at Cedar Point and he said there were talks of removing corkscrew. Small portable coasters(galaxi) models are becoming extinct.

If they remove Corkscrew and NOT replace it, they better keep the actual corkscrews over the midway intact, like they did with Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

If they remove Corkscrew and NOT replace it, they better keep the actual corkscrews over the midway intact, like they did with Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

Personally, I think that that is kinda sad just to keep the corkscrews in place with no trains, and just dead ends. Now, here is another pipe dream, but what if whatever company that build Corkscrew's successor could build track to match the Arrow track and build the corkscrews into the new ride?

Now, here is another pipe dream, but what if whatever company that build Corkscrew's successor could build track to match the Arrow track and build the corkscrews into the new ride?

I was seriously thinking about doing this before and while I read your comment.

Arrow Forever

• 1 year later...

Arrows particularly the looping and suspended coasters (both due to lack of parts and the other not being to great. [Arrow Loopers] Oh well, at least we still have the Chinese Knockoffs)

TOGOs (uncomfortable and lack of parts)

Old Intamins (Bobsleds, Stand Ups, 1st Gen Drop Towers [Demon Drop], ect) same reasons as above.

Tall Dinn coasters (rough, boring, & maintenance nightmares due to how often the track needs to be replaced)

Huss rides (no parts due the company's inability to make them)

Anaconda's getting repainted this offseason and is featured in the marketing for next season's season pass. it's staying for the foreseeable future, as is Shockwave apparently, as it was also recently the recipient of some very spiffy new paint. that leaves Hurler as the most likely candidate for the scrap heap as far as KD is concerned.

^Can you confirm? If so I might have to change my theory to something like Cedar Creek Mine Ride. Something wicked cool could go in its place knowing Cedar Point.

Of course I dont know for certain, but I would expect CP to remove Iron Dragon before they remove Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

I don't think we'll see a mass removal of the larger Arrows, certainly if a park wants to keep one it'll find a way (custom trains, produce their own parts etc). Some of the are actually pretty good (e.g. Loch Ness Monster, Vortex) so it'd be good to see them stick around a little longer. I can definitely see the loopscrews being gradually removed though; they have aged poorly.

Perhaps not as much of a trend as a coincidence, but: classic wild mice. The Miler at Adventure City and the Herschell Monster Mouse at Washington State Fair were intentionally closed recently, and the Miler at Funtown Pier in New Jersey was destroyed. Also, the Herschell Monster Mouse at Amusement Park Drive In has yet to open. Currently, there are only two classic Miler Mice operating, two Herschell Mad Mouses, and no Monster Mouses. Save the mousies!

If a park wants to keep their Arrow Looper or Suspended they can always knock at Vekoma's door for parts or trains - think they are happy to deliver. The same is - gladly - true for Schwarzkopf Loopers were a park has multiple companies to choose from like Gerstlauer, Maurer-Söhne or SAT-Rides.

I am personally more concerned about Schwarzkopf flats like Monster, Enterprise, Calypso or Orbiter - only very few numbers around except for the Monster were there are still some on the German carnivals. But overall I think the clock for Schwarzkopf flats is ticking down fast...

If a park wants to keep their Arrow Looper or Suspended they can always knock at Vekoma's door for parts or trains - think they are happy to deliver. The same is - gladly - true for Schwarzkopf Loopers were a park has multiple companies to choose from like Gerstlauer, Maurer-Söhne or SAT-Rides.

I am personally more concerned about Schwarzkopf flats like Monster, Enterprise, Calypso or Orbiter - only very few numbers around except for the Monster were there are still some on the German carnivals. But overall I think the clock for Schwarzkopf flats is ticking down fast...

I would not be surprised if the Enterprise at SFStL is removed in the not so distant future. It is one of the oldest operating rides at SFStL and I rarely see it have a line.

^Most Schwarzkopf flats proved to be very reliable in the long run but most are now 30+ years old - some even around 40 years now. I did not know that SF has another Enterprise after they sold the Wheelie to Fun Spot. The only one I know near me is the Enterprise at Slagharen in the Netherlands.

Hansa-Park removed the Dschunke - which was rarely found to begin with - this season. As of last notice there is only one around on the France/Benelux carnival circuit.

^Most Schwarzkopf flats proved to be very reliable in the long run but most are now 30+ years old - some even around 40 years now. I did not know that SF has another Enterprise after they sold the Wheelie to Fun Spot. The only one I know near me is the Enterprise at Slagharen in the Netherlands.

SFGAm still has their Schwarzkopf Enterprise, Monster and Calypso. Not sure if there is a market for them but they would be fine additions to Gerstlauer's lineup if they created newer models of these rides. They already offer a Polyp.

• 10 months later...

I think that stand-up coasters as a whole might be the next rides types to get removed in masses. With Canada's Wonderland taking out Skyrider, it wouldn't surprise me if Shockwave at Kings Dominion goes on the chopping block soon. Now that we know that it's possible to turn B&M stand-ups into floorless coasters, that could be the new trend for those rides. I don't think that stand-up coasters will be going extinct anytime soon, they just probably won't be as common as they are now.

Don't forget Premier Rides. They say they build parts for all-rides. They gave Big Apple Coaster new trains and magnetic brakes.