TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mass ride removal trends

So we've had in the past 10 years or so quite a few Log Flume and shoot-the-chutes removals. Also most Chaos type rides, bayern curves, rotors and Schwarzkopf shuttle loops. I know rides need to be replaced every 10 or 20 years. So what will be the next ride types to go?

I think whitewater rapids type rides will be the next ones to go en mass. They take up huge footprints parks could use for new coasters, so it's sensible, and the last few years, it seems they aren't AS popular as they used to be. Still quite popular, but not as much as, say, the 80s and 90s. Besides, Splash Battle type rides seem to be a much better alternative. People love interactivity these days, and it gives them that.

I gotta say, I wish I had been able to ride a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop though.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past few years, you have also seen the Arrow multi-loopers and suspended coasters becoming quickly instinct. The one that sticks out the most for me are the Intamin 1st Generation Freefalls. They used to be everywhere and now there are only 2-3 left! Of course, Intamin has continued to evolve the free fall and for the most part only gotten better.

As for the next to go, I am not sure. The whitewater rapids type rides I could see sticking around for a while. Yes, they can take up large footprints but they still get LONG waits in the hot summer months and can be people eaters. Plus, most of them have added interactivity with the coin-operated sprayers. The one at Dollywood is a HUGE part of that area of the park and removing would leave a huge void.

Edited by ernierocker

Florida has three log flumes and two shoot-the-chutes, but I don't know if you'd call it "this side of the country" from VA.

I'm thinking the old Arrow loopers. The trend's already begun (GASM, Python). I could see roughly the same space being used for something like a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or Intamin ZacSpin.

Another trend which is in full swing is the removal of Arrow suspended coasters. BBW and Eagle Fortress are examples of this trend. These can take up quite a bit of space, as well.

Finally, while not quite the same thing, I'm really hoping the Iron Horse (New Texas Giant) treatment catches on.

Edit: ^Beat me to it.

I think whitewater rapids type rides will be the next ones to go en mass. They take up huge footprints parks could use for new coasters, so it's sensible, and the last few years, it seems they aren't AS popular as they used to be. Still quite popular, but not as much as, say, the 80s and 90s. Besides, Splash Battle type rides seem to be a much better alternative. People love interactivity these days, and it gives them that.

My home park has both a rapids and a splash battle and on days when the rapids is a full line, the splash battle is a walk on. Rapids are pretty popular, I don't see them leaving soon. Plus, they're low to the ground, so if the park really needed land they could fit coasters over them and still keep the rapids in.

^ Would that be SFGAm? That's good to know for when I go there this coming summer. I've actually never been on a splash battle, as every one I've seen had a huge line, so I skipped them.

I have to agree about Arrow multi-loopers, by the way. I bet Anaconda here at KD gets the axe within the next 10 years.

I think it totally depends on the park and their particular installation. Our double drop large turn table Arrow flume was taken out after 14 years. Our Arrow looper is 31 years old and isn't going anywhere. The Arrow suspended is 21 and not going anywhere and hopefully won't

I hope rapids rides stick around for a long time. It's so nice that there are rides that don't require interaction. As for flumes, maybe more Shoot the Rapids or extensions of Pilgrim's Plunge type rides will take over from the older ones.

In most cases it has to do more with manufacturers than the parks. When a manufacturer goes out of business (like Arrow or Schwarzkopf), the parts become more expensive (if available at all) which usually means the end of the ride. All those Schwarzkopf flats of the 70's were great rides, but when they wear out they just become too expensive to maintain. Same thing with Arrows coasters and flumes. When you combine the scarcity of Arrow parts with the poor design of the rides (the coasters tend to tear themselves apart, especially the suspended coasters) parks have to weigh fixing versus replacing and when ridership has also dropped off with age it's a no brainer to remove and replace in many cases.

These older rapids rides are becoming quite curious to me. I'm really not sure what's going to be happening to them in the near future. They maybe be starting to get old and outdated, but they are very hard from a business standpoint to tear down. From information I've gathered from other parks about these rides, they are going to be extremely expensive to tear down. For what reason? I really don't know. I've also heard that they are VERY expensive to operate. Pumping that many gallons of water each day is definitely not cheap. So will they be the next to go? Again, I'm not very sure, but I'm going to keep an eye on them.

I hope they stick around for as long as possible, but I have to cast a vote for Arrow mega-loopers and suspended coasters. With the removal of Drachen Fire, Shockwave and GASM, I can only think of Viper (MM & DL), Anaconda, and Vortex as the last of that breed.

Also not sure how much time some of the older B&M standups have. Iron Wolf had low ridership at SFGAm and was just shipped off. I haven't visited CGAm or KD to see for myself, but judging by the comments on message boards such as this one, the Vortices aren't too popular. Having greatly enjoyed Iron Wolf, I'm trying to find time to visit CGAm and KD soon just so I don't have any regrets in case their time really is limited.

My vote goes to anything and everything Arrow. They just seem to be too much of maintenance nightmares as time goes on, and aren't necessarily as popular as they used to be. Now, coasters like Magnum, Gemini, and X2 will probably stay for a while, but with coasters like BBW, GASM, and Eagle's Fortress being removed, and Kennywood re-doing phantom's first drop, nothing Arrow is safe, in my opinion.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I don't see rapids rides going anywhere myself... Kennywood's are doing just fine. I absolutely hate the ride experience, but for everyone else, it's a must ride, multiple times in a row. As long as you've got sun, these rides will always be a hit. I imagine ripping apart acres of landscaping, filling in a gigantic void and having to replace it with something equally as large a footprint is quite expensive. I think Intamin had the right idea with these rides. They'll be around a while.

As for what I do think is going, coaster wise I'd bet that Arrow loopers aren't sticking around much longer. I'd give them 5 years, maybe closer to 10. Outdated beasts that were mostly slaves to record breaking. And the ones that weren't... Can't say they had much going for them in the first place. If parks can muster the funds to put in something like a Gerstlauer or a Premier that's going to make the public just as happy, they'd probably go for it. They are just maintenance nightmares really...

Another flat I don't know why it's so popular are those spider, or monster, or whatever incarnation of animal they are, contraptions that give you a relatively boring ride cycle of random spinning,and then suspend you in the air for an extended period of time in the hot sun waiting to unload for longer than the actual ride. I believe they were conceived in the 60's, and I'd really hope they kick the bucket soon.

How about the Vekoma boomerangs? Those started being made in the 80s I think and many are in rough condition these days.

And how about Looping Starships? And most Enterprises, Pirate Ships, and Round-Ups are getting old too. I think removing these is mostly due to operating and repair costs as people have said, but I also think to a degree it's due to an advancement of technology. Inverted coasters succeeded suspended coasters, and there are so many new interesting flat rides that companies are selling these days that some of the older common ones like I've listed will lose their appeal as people come to expect a more dynamic experience. Cookie-cutter coasters like all the old double corkscrews, boomerangs, and slcs are being replaced with new cookie cutter models like the euro fighters, zacspins, and the spinning wild mice.

At least we can take solace that most of the remaining arrow megaloopers will probably only be removed from their parks to be replaced by something equally cool, like how SUF replaced Shockwave and Green Lantern replaced GASM. I just hope when Loch Ness Monster does finally make it to the scrap pile, it will be because its spot is needed for something new and awesome (and that hopefully has a picturesque interlocking loop over the river).

I personally don't see the removal of rapids rides anytime soon. the one at sfstl still draws a large crowd daily with our hot summers, personally I am a fan of the rapids rides just because its a good way to cool off on a Summer day, and I really try to stay out of the water parks so Thunder River works perfect. our Log ride on the other hand doesn't produce the lines it used to in years gone by, and there are plenty of days when they are only running one side of the ride.. have to stand up for the mine train coasters though, think they need to keep them, a mine ride is a perfect introduction to roller coasters for kids growing up, I know it was my first coaster.... and its our parks original coaster...

Vekoma loopers-- can go, and they can start with the Ninja at our park

Larger, more intense Arrow coasters may have been on their way out, but I don't see many more leaving for a while (Anaconda seems like the most likely contender).

I can see older water rides being phased out for newer ones (new boat chutes/splash battles). Log flumes are probably the most likely contender. Water rides in general are difficult to maintain.

Outside of those, I don't see many other rides leaving.

How about the Vekoma boomerangs? Those started being made in the 80s I think and many are in rough condition these days.

I agree with this. The Vekoma boomerang has been around a while, and there are so many flats or some small coasters that can fit in their footprint and be much more enjoyable.

It mostly is Arrow rides/coasters in general being removed and 1st generation freefalls. I don't see log flumes going away since they are still a product that Intamin, Mack, & others still sell to this day, sure the old Arrow flumes are going as with all Arrow rides will be left in the history books.

^ Would that be SFGAm? That's good to know for when I go there this coming summer. I've actually never been on a splash battle, as every one I've seen had a huge line, so I skipped them.

I have to agree about Arrow multi-loopers, by the way. I bet Anaconda here at KD gets the axe within the next 10 years.

It wouldn't suprise me seeing as KD really needs to repaint it but hasn't made any effort to do so in nearly two years since they strted.

One of the reason there has been such a mass removal of old log flumes/shoot the chutes is the fact water rides are generally pretty expensive to run. You consider the amount of water it takes to fill, all the pumps, belts, etc. and then consider many of the older ones have leaks that constantly need repair and you have an easy candidate for removal.

Well, lots of parks are in tight corners. My home park, SFGAm, has to resort to removing/relocating newer rides in order to bring in newer product. For instance, if the park were to remove Demon, they would first receive major rebuttal from nostalgic folk, yet also have a very tough time trying to fit something in without removing massive amounts of things. Same goes for nearly all the other coasters at the park.

As for mass removal, log flumes. Most are far past their life cycles, and require specially made parts.