TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fear of Rollercoasters

Hello all lovely TPR-members !!

I've got a problem! My lovely girlfriend have some serious fear of rollercoasters...

That's a pitty and made me first really sad.. But I love rollercoaster so much, that I started something like a "rehab" for her

First I showed her some Pov-videos on youtube or coastertube, than we rode some tiny fair coasters like a wild mouse..

Then I took her to DisneylandParis ! It was the first themepark, which was enjoyable for her!

She usually don't ride any rollercoaster or thrilling flats..

BUT: We even rode Tower of Terror and Big Thunder Mountain (which is pretty awesome in france )!! (and of course all the other disneylike attractions!!).. She enjoyed it, but cried during the TOT

I know that she wants to ride the big coasters, she even started to play RollercoasterTycoon 3!

Her problem is that she's starting to panic during the ride like breathing to fast or crying out loud! She hates straight and high drops..

I want to take her on a more thrilling coaster like a batman-clone or something,.. but I am afraid and worried that she get some injuries or other lacks! I could never be happy any more..

I found an interesting guide called "How to Overcome Your Fear of Roller Coasters" on the internet, you can find it here (It's not mine): www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Your-Fear-of-Roller-Coasters

I don't know exactly what to do next, should I follow the guide or just let her sit in front of the queue during my ride (That's no problem for her)?

Do you have some ideas, cheats or what's your personal opinion to my problem?

I am sorry for my bad english, I am not a native speaker

I also used the search function, but didn't find a topic like this.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If she starts playing RCT3 and No Limits, then you might suggest to her to go on some of the rides that as on that game. I know that when I saw a top spin in RCT3 that made me want to try one out even though at the time I was terrorfied, one thing not to do is try to get her to go on intense or painful rides first. If those are her first experience on rollercoaster, then she might think that they all ride like that.

I hope that helped.

I've helped a number of people overcome a fear of roller coasters. The key to helping people do it is to work your way up. Take her to a park that has a coaster selection that has a mix of family and extreme rides. Europa Park seems like a good place to go, but I am only going by what I've seen on this site. Start with a less intense ride like the Mack Bobsled they have (I can't remember the name) and work your way up all the way to Blue Fire or Silver Star. While this worked really well for the people I worked with, I don't know if it will work for everyone.

Well, I think it's quiet difficult.. If she doesn't try some coasters with more height, more speed, more forces, then she can't get an own opinion about them..

But I'll try to get her (of course with her permission) on some more "familybased" coasters Like @imawesome1124 said maybe she gets bored of family coasters and want more thrills!

There was another post (it's now deleted?), which advised me to teach her to scream all of her fears out during the ride! I think that's a really good idea! Some screaming or behaving like, you won't do or act in normal life during a ride, could even lead her interests to the ridetime on a rollercoaster

If motion sickness is the problem, I would advise watching a pov of the ride before riding it, and, when ridden, should be done in the front row. I once knew someone who would get sick on rides all the time, and decided to ride Batman: The Ride (a ride known for making people sick). However, while standing in line, she was able to memorize the whole ride, and did not get sick. Riding in the front is also a good option, as your eyes can better see the moving track, and your brain can better detect that you are moving. Also, you have some time to brace yourself for the rides' elements.

As for fear of heights, start small and go a little higher each ride. Try riding inverted coasters, as they are not half as terrifying as the concept sounds. Avoid B&M flyers, as the lift hills on these things still scare me. Vekomas might be OK, as the lifts to these are done on your back. However, with some people, I have found the opposite strategy works, to take a giant step from small to large coasters, to know you can handle anything in between.

A strategy for pretty much any fear is to ride as many coasters as possible, at any opportunity. If it is a ride that gave fear, ride again. Ride as many different rides as possible to get one's body used to the sensation of being up high, and traveling at high speeds. If possible, ride "extreme family coasters" like Cheetah Hunt, Maverick, and California Screamin.

I used to be terrified of coasters, so my friends dragged me, kicking and screaming , onto what they thought was the most intimidating coaster at my home park. I was freaking out the entirety of the lift hill, but once i got past the first drop i fell in love. Its certainly possible to help someone no longer be afraid of coasters even though i cant suggest what my friends did for everyone. If its the initial drop that scares the person it could be helpful to find a ride that looks rather scary, but isnt really all that bad. This requires the person to trust your judgment and your knowledge of the coaster in question, but it can help give them some confidence in riding bigger rides.

We did something different with my cousin and had her work her way up to the big rides. It worked for her too, so that is definitely an option as well. It depends really on how willing they are to dive in and what they are afraid of.

-kafka-

How I got over it was having a bf who explained it then got me on it. If your going to go on a high drop ride do a sit down non inversion ride. It will get her used to the height and speed. The front helps but can also make it scarier. I personally get more motion sickness in front on inversion rides because the back has to "catch up" to the front which creates a push pull sensation.

Now personally, my thought process was "I'm not going to wait in an hour line and not go on". Screaming helps a lot because it releases nerves and emotions. Let her know that she is not alone about being scared and don't force her on anything because that will ruin the experience. I was scared of coasters for 16 years and I got over my fear by riding intimidator at carowinds. Oh and if there are test seats let her sit in it because that's what sold me. If there isn't ask a ride op if she can try it (by going up the exit). At Disney world I saw someone do that and they let them. That's all I can think of at the moment.

The one thing I didn't see in your post is if she wanted to get over this fear of riding roller coasters. It seems like it is more you wanting her to get over it than her. Why should she have to change for you? Why don't you change for her and give up riding big coasters?

The one thing I didn't see in your post is if she wanted to get over this fear of riding roller coasters. It seems like it is more you wanting her to get over it than her. Why should she have to change for you? Why don't you change for her and give up riding big coasters?

In my opinion, if you are forced to completely drop something you love doing and change your entire lifestyle, then that person was never meant for you. If someone doesn't like you for who you are then it's time to move on. In which case I agree about the first part, but disagree about the second.

Regarding the topic's original question, I think there is no better way than just facing your fear and doing it. You can watch all the Youtube videos and play all the games, but none of them are going to have as big of an impact than simply just riding the ride, instead of forever cowering in fear over it. I had a friend that would not ride ANYTHING, but I was persistent and kept telling him how much he would like the rides. In short, now there isn't a ride that he WON'T ride.