TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Launched Coaster opinions

Which of these 3 would you prefer for your local park if they didn't already have a launch coaster:

S&S El Loco (but with a launch)

or

Launched Vekoma

or

Maurer Söhne Launched X-Car

Which is best?

Smoothest?

Biggest appeal?

Most fun?

Obviously the El Loco doesn't exist with launch, but if you have tried the 'normal' El Loco, try to imagine it with a launch...

If you were to choose your favourite launch coaster from ANY manufacturer which would it be?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to choose one of those three, I would probably choose the Maurer Sohne, just because they are actually really fun rides. The Vekoma launches are fun, but the launch system is very impractical and the rides themselves aren't a whole lot of fun. I have't been on an El Loco yet so I can't judge, but I would most closely compare it to a kind of Eurofighter-y design if I were to imagine what it would be like.

Like previously stated, I would probably choose an Intamin launched coaster if I had a choice of anything. Maybe not an LSM launch because they go down quite often, but maybe an accelerator? My ideal coaster would be a Storm Runner-esque type ride that has a couple airtime hills and is maybe 800-1000 feet longer than Storm Runner. Just thinking out loud...

Thanks...

I have never been on a Launched X-Car (Maurer Söhne) so I couldn't say for myself,

but have heard lots of bad things about 'Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit'... (although not launched, it should be VERY rough).

Anyone got any views on that?

And what is the difference between 'Formule X' and 'Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit' in terms of roughness?

I hate rough rides and I don't understand the people that say HRRR is rough. I've been on it at least five times now and it has not been rough for me. I'm assuming what people mean is the transitions it makes are tight (and probably would have been better with a single car) but it's lap bar only and super comfortable. The ride is also very smooth, not vibrating or anything like that.

All that being said, I prefer Formule X to HRRR. I should ride two more launched X-Cars this summer so we'll see.

^Agree, I don't really understand the HRRR criticisms either, I've been on it at least 10 times on 3 different trips and sat in all kinds of different seats and have never had a rough ride. It's not my favorite coaster in the world but it's far from rough.

As far as the topic question goes, Vekoma meh, I've heard great things about the Mauer launch coasters but a launched S&S El Loco would be pretty cool. I'd go with an El Loco if they existed.

Formule X is an excellent ride. I'm a big fan of Premier launched shuttles, too (the two Mr. Freeze rides are great).

I haven't been on enough Mauer Shone launched coasters to have a strong opinion about them, so I think I'll go with Intamin LIM rides (particularly Cheetah Hunt and California Screamin') as my favorites overall.

It'll be interesting to see how Zirer fares with Verbolten this year.

Edited by cfc

I hate rough rides and I don't understand the people that say HRRR is rough. I've been on it at least five times now and it has not been rough for me. ... The ride is also very smooth, not vibrating or anything like that.

The rockit has been quite smooth for me, save for one ride. It was in the very back, right seat, but I don't remember the train number. It felt like riding in a car over pebbles at 45. Very vibrating and jittery for the duration of the ride, save for the MCBRs, and it turned me off of the idea of reriding that day. Since then, I've always requested the front when it looked like I would be in the back two rows. The ride ops seem to be quite accommodating, as long as I'm willing to wait an extra train.

I would love a Vekoma LSM with the new generation trains. Rockin' Roller Coaster was sweet and I can't imagine how awesome it would be with just lap bars. I also would like a Maurer but definitely not a Premier Spaghetti bowl. When I was on Joker's Jinx over the summer it lagged through the course. I felt like it would roll back both times I was on it. An Binyamin would be nice too.

Intamin is easily my favorite, but I'd like to throw Schwarzkopf out on the table. Nothing like a good shuttle loop launch.

*And somewhere in Arizona, R.D.'s Schwarzkopf radar alert goes off*

You rang?

And yes, I agree completely with 'powered' launches being Intamin... They re-wrote the book on how to do LSM right.

However, as many will now groan about: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats a good ol' fashioned Flywheel or Weight drop Schwarzkopf Shuttle loop launch. Graceful, smooth, a nice strong force; they are to me the vintage Rolls Royce of launch coasters: Sure, others are faster, and just as smooth, but nothing beats the feel of the "click... thump BWOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHHH" of a fine Schwarzkopf Shuttle coaster...

(Five weeks, Monte, just five weeks...)

R.D.

Praise be to Anton.

While the Intamin launched coasters are good the best IMO is the LSM Launched Eurofighter by Gerstelauer - love the Fluch launch. Mostly that the car is after a small drop already at about 7-10mph and gets "picked up" by the launch system - this offers new future possibilities. Like having a coaster with a convetional lift that gets "picked up" when the ride would normally be over and the LSM sends it into a second...thrid... frenzy. One could built incredibly long coasters with this system...

Hope to see such coasters soon....

@QueerRudie: Yes, after visiting Knotts I also love the oldie but goldie shuttle loops!

The rockit has been quite smooth for me, save for one ride. It was in the very back, right seat, but I don't remember the train number. It felt like riding in a car over pebbles at 45. Very vibrating and jittery for the duration of the ride, save for the MCBRs, and it turned me off of the idea of reriding that day. Since then, I've always requested the front when it looked like I would be in the back two rows. The ride ops seem to be quite accommodating, as long as I'm willing to wait an extra train.

I agree. I had one great ride in the front car but every time I got the back car it felt like being on a jackhammer. I tried the single rider line so i didn't ask to where to sit which was in a mistake thanks to having the slowest coaster operation ever but that's another subject.

• 1 year later...