TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Front Page RE-Design Contest!

There are still two things that I don't like about Jack's design.

1. The yellow outline on the Theme Park Review.

2. The white background on the Facebook feed.

There is just one thing that I don't care for on David's design right now, and that's the font that the tagline is in. I like the simpler, white font that Jack used for his tagline. Besides that, I like everything about David's. I must say though, I still liked it more when the TPR logo was offset to the left of the page.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still two things that I don't like about Jack's design.

1. The yellow outline on the Theme Park Review.

2. The white background on the Facebook feed.

Make the assumption that 1. we would actually be keeping the same logo as the one you see above, as it matches every other page on the site, and if we change it for the front page, we have to change it for the forum, store, park index, contact us, club tpr, etc, etc, and it's much easier to keep the current one than it is to change it in several places. And 2. if a FB ticker plug-in is actually available in the background color that matches the rest of the page, we'll use it.

There is just one thing that I don't care for on David's design right now, and that's the font that the tagline is in. I like the simpler, white font that Jack used for his tagline. Besides that, I like everything about David's. I must say though, I still liked it more when the TPR logo was offset to the left of the page.

We would be keeping the same tagline we have now. Offsetting the logo to the left on the front page, would mean we'd have to off-set it to the left on all the other pages, and while it's not a huge amount of coding to do, the other pages on TPR aren't set up to have a header offset to the left, and that would require some re-work on every other page. That's why I asked David to put the logo back in the middle.

Just wanted to clear those couple of things up!

ILoveRides... looks good except I still don't like the topic bar under the "main" picture.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I prefer this style:

jacklowerbar.jpg

Where each topic is a separate box, and the topics span across the entire bottom of the photo. I think it would be easier on the eyes this way.

Otherwise, it's great and I'm super excited to see the new main page once it's done!

^ I was thinking it would be easier to add or subtract items the way I did it, but I suppose it could be programmed to have more or less boxes as well if it was done Jack's way. I will look into doing it the other way.

Here's my latest version with several other changes...

tprDesign_v8.thumb.jpg.fe408ce4d593f56f69df6f50cc5037e6.jpg

Version 8

ILoveRides - you keep sweeping over your design making little changes but I think you've finally hit the nail on the head, every revision I've still had comments I could make but with this last one I can say nothing!

Also, thanks for lining up the bottom of the updates with the bottom of the facebook feed, that was my one major problem up until a few revisions ago, this really looks amazing, good work!

Matt

Everything looks great.

The only comment i have is, Wouldn't it be a little better if the YouTube "tab" was on the left side so that when you click on the "tab" you will see the larger preview image of the video(s). Instead of the smaller size that would be dictated by the smaller section on the right.

Ken

^ Not exactly following you here. The YouTube "tab" just brings up TPR's most recent YouTube feed. The "featured video" would bring up a video in the viewing window. Both of those two things live separate from each other.

At this point I'd like to award the "winning prize" to TWO people! David & Jack are our two winners with their final submissions:

IMO, these two designs are equally as good, and there are things I'll pull out of each of them to create what will eventually become TPR's new front page. It may take us a few weeks, but we will keep you all updated on the progress!

Thank you again to everyone who has submitted designs!

If any of you are interested in helping out with other TPR projects like this, please email robbalvey@themeparkreview.com

Congrats you guys!

--Robb

I know I'm a little late here but congrats to the winners, I really like the new front page designs.

I was going to say that one of my favorite websites recently, grantland.com, just re worked their front page a few days ago and I really like the new version. Ironically enough it reminds me quite a bit of the two winning submissions here. Can't wait to see the new page.

• 1 month later...
Do you know when it will be up? Really anxious!

Most likely this fall. It's going to take a while to get this all done, and we start our TPR Tours in about 3 weeks. TPR "works" as it is now, so we aren't really in a hurry to change it over, but we're happy that we have a design that we've locked down.

Edited by robbalvey