TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Front Page RE-Design Contest!

OK. Lets get one thing out of the way first: I am not a web designer. A can design GUI's, but when it comes to being artistic, in terms of making posters, websites, ect... I suck. Badly

There are a few things I would like to see:

--> Keep the dark theme. Its something that actually keeps me coming back and differentiates TPR from others. For example: RCPro is a design that doesn't stick in my head to well

--> Having updates span the page horizontally is better, in my opinion. This is because the page design can span the resolution of end users computers, or width of the web browser giving a more professional look

--> I think the Nav bar should be at the top of the sight, above the TPR logo, thus:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log In | Register | Search:[ text box ] | Store Forum | Park Index | Events and Trips | etc...

...and then the TPR logo goes here

The reason a horizontal navigation for updates works better than vertical is:

--> All previous updates can be displayed in a contiguous way, with the user scrolling across. Don't use buttons: instead use JS, Ajax, etc...

--> Vertical updates limits you to how many updates the end user can see without breaking the design due to a stupid long page

The logo:

Absolutely, definitely, keep the current logo. Its simple, doesn't try to be to clever, and different meaning the end user is more likely to remember it. Again, RCPro's logo might as well be identical to most others - it isn't memorable. However, the "We love theme parks [...] a funny way of showing it!" should be centered against the logo

I really hope people understand this post - like I said, I am no graphic designer/web and this is probably the best input I can give

Also, thanks to Rob and Elissa for keeping the design the same for so long. I like it, a lot, but it is time for an update

Over the coming days I will make a design based on the above comments

-- Matt

Edit: after previewing the message repeated spaces have been truncated - a good thing. Be aware that I don't mean for no space between Shop and Forum links

Edit 2: laughing hard at websitefullofdouchebags. Robb, Elissa: you know exactly who is meant by this! lmfao!

Edited by CocaColaBoy

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask something... Do you want the page to be similar as the current one, or do you want to make it different 100%? I know this was answered before, but since a few pages ago the idea seems to be changing, and while my english comprehension is not too accurate I don't know if I'm getting it... well, I just wanted to know, thanks.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61554&start=150#p1133915

So far, I like Angry_Gumball's one listed here, but I'd like to see AlmereStars drop-down menu as shown here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61554&start=170#p1134029

on Angry_Gumball's layout.

Can anyone try this just to see what it would look like? (using the colors of Angry_Gumballs's nav bar)

It seems like people are just trying to fix their own designs even when it's been suggested to combine some elements from a few designs.

The more I look at Apple's Website the more I'd like to go a bit more minimalistic.

The advantages that Apple has are..

- Their site doesn't change daily, nor have as much content/information to display as we do.

- They have a dedicated team of graphic designers who "design" each update!

So there would be great challenges to have TPR look like Apple...BUT....if you can take some of those design ideas and incorporate them into what you are currently working on...post it and let us see what you come up with.

--Robb "Anything to make TPR look more OSX and less Windows...the BETTER!" Alvey

Yes thats why I mentioned it! I love it! Its so easy and simple with a clean and modern look. I spent a class period drawing a mock up on what I plan to do and I will scan it later and upload it. If you like my ideas ill bring them to the computer, if not ill do some erasing and change it.

What is TPR's design language? What would make you think TPR if you saw a new site but couldn't read any words or make out the pictures?

To me, it's the black background with the RGB colors and gadzoox font logo. That's something most people that have visited the site before would immediately recognize.

But since TPR is known more for the content than the design (pov's, trip reports, the latest news, lively forum discussions, the park index and the game exchange) is the current "design language" (other than the logo) really that important to the site? I'm not sure either way.

-chris "just putting this out there for discussion" connolly

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61554&start=150#p1133915

So far, I like Angry_Gumball's one listed here, but I'd like to see AlmereStars drop-down menu as shown here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61554&start=170#p1134029

on Angry_Gumball's layout.

Can anyone try this just to see what it would look like? (using the colors of Angry_Gumballs's nav bar)

It seems like people are just trying to fix their own designs even when it's been suggested to combine some elements from a few designs.

100% agreed with this idea. I truly am most impressed with Angry_Gumball's design, it looks like something that would fit perfectly on TPR. And that drop-down menu, IMO, would fit better on the homepage and keep it less clustered.

Ok, here's my drawn concept. You will probably have to load the image so you can enlarge it and see some of the stuff I have written down.

A major part of this concept is my idea of "interchangeable parts" meaning anything can be swapped around for Robb and Elissa's liking. This is only my first concept so and feedback would be great so I can draw some more tomorrow in school Also please keep in mind that it looks like a lot of writing but half of the writing is notes from me (i.e. picture here, video, etc...)

001.thumb.jpg.805a54213e8ce5906de001093076bd1e.jpg

Young,

I like the idea of hovering over an image and the description appears, and I like the Facebook feed. Everything else just seems a little unpolished.

First instinct was it's a step back in comparison to some of the other entries that were done today. I see lots of potential with it, but it's not there yet.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh. I just want you to tap into that potential I can see is there.

I think I'm at the point now where I'm only going to comment on things that I *like* as there are just too many similar designs, and many of them aren't taking our comments into consideration.

youngforever, it's all over the place, and it looks like you haven't really paid attention to any of the comments we've made in this thread so far.

Swiminn6 - Sorry, I just cannot make comments by looking at a drawing that's scanned in so light I can't make anything out.

^Robb, do you want me to darken it? I just thought I would put my ideas on paper to see if you thought it was worthy enough to make a computer generated concept. I will put it on the computer this weekend for sure, I just haven't yet because I'm at school all day long.

Alright, I finally decided it was time to turn on the computer and get things rolling again. Looking at Apple's site, I'm liking the 'glossy' nav bar they are using and decided that just maybe this nav bar can use a gloss like that.

One of the other ideas I had in mind, which I'll get uploaded in a bit are individual 'push buttons' sitting on the gradient, much like the blue nav bar portion I made on my work's website with the white strokes outlining them: http://www.denevi.com. So expect to see that version next. I'm not sure if it will work just yet but it's worth a shot.

navbar1.jpg.364ec1992c20a751e3a2d18207b848b7.jpg

Like the slimmer glossy look Angry_Gumballs.

Now if you were to add a drop-down to your design, what would it look like? I mean colors, horizontal/vertical, etc. And for fun, what would the bottom of your page look like with the disclaimer and stuff?

So I was thinking, outside the box, and I figured if Theme Park Review was going to update its page why not add a new feature. Honestly I am not a web designer so not sure if what I am thinking of is possible or feasible but this is what I came up with,

Would it be possible for a members account to learn and remember the way each member uses TPR, Meaning if I visit say a certain park on the Park index, or the six flags magic mountain thread frequently then I figured it could show the new updates to those places on a certain spot on the home page, this is also a perk for people to sign in every time to their account instead of just using a guest account, or create a new account if need be.

I also thought it would be neat if the web designer could add something fun like an Easter egg , you never know what could happen while your browsing TPR,

Just my 2 cents.

I went back to the drawing board, and came up with this. It's based around simplicity. It has big text for those of us less fortunate.

The "Featured Stuff" section would be four frames timed to change every so often automatically. However, when you would click on one of the small pictures, it would move to its corresponding frame and start the cycle over again. Clicking the big picture directs you to the update.

"Featured Stuff" would house the latest TPR Update, the video of the day (linked to Youtube or Coastertube), the random update of the day, and the latest smaller story to be put on the front page (news, photo trip report, game exchange promotion, etc) for a total of four frames.

So the legacy TPR members who like the front page the way it is aren't left out, the two long columns currently on the front page have been consolidated into three menus. When one menu is clicked on and opened, the one that was currently open is then closed. Each menu contains the three latest TPR Updates (green), promoted trip reports (red), and promoted industry news (blue). Each menu has a "More" link.

On the bottom right is an area for a Facebook feed. Above that are the four buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and RSS. There's space for one or two more buttons to be added if need be.

Still to be done - logo, slogan, search bar, menu bar, bottom-of-page disclaimers. EDIT: Announcements too.

Possibilities - latest forum posts, latest game exchange activity.

Click the image and zoom to 100% for the actual size.

test.thumb.png.3036a3fc4a25bb9b7c2ec3758e5b0e64.png

I'm really happy with this so far.

Edited by A.J.