What is going on with La Qua?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...
^I felt the same--a decent, but disappointing coaster. I'm actually sadder that LaQua's Zombie Paradise dark ride is no more--now there was something unique.

I was really bummed when they took that out. It really was a good and morbid dark ride.

• 2 months later...

A friend and I were visiting Tokyo last week and stopped by La Qua to check out Thunder Dolphin since we'd never been before. There were a bunch of guys working on installing what looks to be structural supports for some type of protection screen. So, it's obviously still closed. Here are some pics.

DSC_4147.JPG

DSC_4153.JPG

DSC_4154.JPG

DSC_4159.JPG

DSC_4161.JPG

DSC_4180.JPG

DSC_4179.JPG

Hmm--interesting. At least they're making some sort of progress.

Now if they could only bring back Zombie Paradise.

Edited by cfc

Great pictures of the coaster. That red on top of the rails in the 6th photo looks pretty bad. Hope they get it running eventually instead of taking it down, looks like a decent coaster despite it being tame.

^I doubt they would go to all the trouble of installing whatever it is they're installing just to take it down. The ride is interesting, mainly for its location and views.

Edited by cfc

I should have been more specific. I meant if they decided to take it down in the long run, as in they run it, find more problems, and eventually just decide to remove it. I'm hoping none of that happens.

It is nice to see them at least attempting to add some safety netting to the ride as opposed to outright removing the coaster. I wasn't able to ride it during my visit to La Qua in 2006 due to heavy rain, but it is good to know that there's at least the possibility that the ride will still be around when I return in 2016.

Thunder Dolphin is an awesome ride, imho. Yeah, it's not Intimidator 305, but it's not supposed to be. The views are amazing, the track path is very unique, and the queue is filled with Japanese babes.

The old parachute drop tower provided unbelievable Tokyo views at night. I was blown away.

-R

Hmm--interesting. At least they're making some sort of progress.

Now if they could only bring back Zombie Paradise.

Zombie Paradise is more of a loss then Thunder Dolphin!

The old parachute drop tower provided unbelievable Tokyo views at night. I was blown away.

-R

Unfortunately, I missed out on the parachute drop tower due to wind back in 2007. Looked like fun (and it has a great location).

^I agree completely, Bob!

Thanks for the update! We'll have to keep a close eye on this project and see if they get it reopened by the time we're over there.

Nice to see that they're doing something and not just closing it forever.

• 3 months later...
Glad to see it has reopened but what is left there to do? It doesn't seem like a lot is left from what there was 5 years ago.

For a "roller coaster enthusiast" they only have one credit left, but for a family attraction in the middle of Tokyo, there is still a decent amount to do there: http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/attractions/