TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is going on with La Qua?

That overbanked netting in the overbanked turn officially makes no sense at all

That's what I was thinking. Seriously, if something falls out of your pocket on an over banked turn, it's not going to fall into a net that extends 2 feet out from the track and is 3 feet tall.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Pretty sure the nets are to catch random tiny bolts that fall off rides from time to time. As that's part of what got it shut down in the first place.

I mean this isn't the smiler or anything.. The nets are definitely a bit of an overcompensation in my opinion.

You obviously know nothing about Japan or how crazy they are about safety.

If someone even remotely gets slightly hurt on a ride, it gets shut down for YEARS. And a death? The ride would most likely get removed immediately, and the park even possibly would be shut down.

Those nets might be an overcompensation, but Japan probably has the best safety record when it comes to... everything... so is it really THAT big of a deal?

If the Texas Giant accident had happened in Japan, that ride would have already been removed and sent to the scrap yard. Seriously.

Edited by robbalvey

Can I ask an honest question and I don't mean to be insulting so sorry if it sounds that way, but why do people use filters like this on perfectly good photos to make them look awful?

I wonder the same thing. Reminds me of seeing people wear skimpy summer clothes (which is good, if it's summer) but then have a winter-like skull cap on? Like shorts, a tank-top and then the winter hat. I don't get it. I've got my curious things as well, so...

But with the pictures - I think it may be an artsy-fartsy sort of thing, to make the colors stand out, to give the picture mystery? But every time I see a picture heavily touched-up like that, I always want to see the original. I'm glad I got to see the original of this picture, it's good

I'm glad this coaster is back open. As someone else mentioned, a meh Intamin has gotta be better than a same-y B&M.

Those nets might be an overcompensation, but Japan probably has the best safety record when it comes to... everything... so is it really THAT big of a deal?

If the Texas Giant accident had happened in Japan, that ride would have already been removed and sent to the scrap yard. Seriously.

So you're saying after almost giving me a concussion, Spin Bullet got exactly what it had coming to it.

Thunder Dolphin is still very high on my "to ride" list, and I'm very glad to see it's back up and running! I kinda like how the nets curve along with the track. Not sure if it adds to the aesthetics of the coaster to the point it makes it look better, but I don't think it detracts from it either.

Curious - is it a thing with "perceived" safety as well? We go on and on about catwalks along the length of the track that really don't do anything - are the catwalks (and Thunder Dolphin's nets as well) there to give riders that perceived feeling of safety even though layouts of modern coasters in Japan aren't really designed differently from other parts of the world?

Curious - is it a thing with "perceived" safety as well? We go on and on about catwalks along the length of the track that really don't do anything - are the catwalks (and Thunder Dolphin's nets as well) there to give riders that perceived feeling of safety even though layouts of modern coasters in Japan aren't really designed differently from other parts of the world?

We also don't hear about accidents there unless they're particularly nasty. Even then, some of it is stuff I can't even Google up easily. I remember hearing about a cylinder failure on an S&S Tower over there from back in the 90s and I can't find any reference to it on the net, so it may be imagined. Meanwhile, someone definitely got decapitated at Expoland when the stand-up fell apart, and the now defunct Birdmen at Fuji-Q almost killed a couple people too, and those can easily be confirmed doing searches. One thing is that when incidents happen at these parks, often times the ride will be closed for years before reopening. Remember Steel Dragon 2000?

Wasn't it the Catwalks that killed that girl on Fujin Raijin II?

I would expect that the catwalks along a good number of coaster tracks in Japan may have to do with specific municipality requirements for track inspection and, more important, emergency evacuation of riders if a train valleys due to weather and or mechanical failure

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been answered, but can you buy a individual tix for the coaster? I went to the website, and it doesn't say. Also, we are staying at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. What is the best order to hit all the local theme parks in downtown Tokyo in one day?

^First off, lovely hotel choice! Make sure you watch Lost in Translation before you go!

Yes, you can buy individual tickets for the rides at La Qua. I believe Thunder Dolphin is at least 1000 Yen per person per ride.

How do you define 'local' theme parks in downtown Tokyo? Tokyo is GIANT, and with limited park opening hours it will be really hard to hit 2 or 3 in a day and practically impossible to hit more than 3. Perhaps think about Yomiuriland, Toshimaen, Hanayashiki, La Qua, Joypolis? (As La Qua and Joypolis are at least open later)

Keep in mind you will be credit whoring only if you try to do this and that's really a shame as all of these parks have AMAZING hidden non coaster attractions.

Edited by SharkTums