TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is going on with La Qua?

I have been reading some things on the forum and I was just wondering if anyone would please give some updates and explain what is going on with La Qua. I am very curious as to the current condition of the park as it seemed like a wonderful park.

Edited by SharkTums

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been following the 'situation' at La Qua for about 18 months now and have visited every other year since 2004. Here's the best description I can give:

- Maintenance Worker got hurt by drop tower

- Guest was killed on spinning mouse

- Bolt/screw/something fell off of Thunder Dolphin onto a midway below (no injuries)

All three of these things happened within about a three month period in 2010/2011. Then the large earthquake hit six weeks later.

Japanese are very safety and image conscious, and these incidents were just unacceptable therefore the mouse is gone, tower is being taken down, and Thunder Dolphin sits in limbo. Before all of this happened they had been working on a big redo of the 'towerland' and indoor area of the park. Linear Gale had been taken out along with GeoPanic as part of a refresh. Now those plans seem to be taking a lot longer, if they ever get done at all.

I fear we could be looking at a situation similar to Expoland. I don't think the entire park will disappear, but I could see it being the big ferris wheel and some smaller rides only from now on.

^RCDB is very good, but they make mistakes. Make no mistake about it, Thunder Dolphin has not run with guests since December 2010. Like I had posted. They tested it briefly in April 2011, but it did not run with guests.

The refresh was supposed to have new rides and attractions, but seems to have slowed down and become much more quiet lately.

^You just answered your own question. You haven't been on it, don't judge.

Look, everyone knows I love Intamin rides, but this one is basically a glorified mine train. Much more like a B&M Hyper with gentle turns and floater air time. That's why some people like it, and some people rate it average.

It's in Japan, goes through a Ferris Wheel and over a building, so it's still better than 99% of coasters out there...just not everyone's cup of tea!

^You just answered your own question. You haven't been on it, don't judge.

Look, everyone knows I love Intamin rides, but this one is basically a glorified mine train. Much more like a B&M Hyper with gentle turns and floater air time. That's why some people like it, and some people rate it average.

It's in Japan, goes through a Ferris Wheel and over a building, so it's still better than 99% of coasters out there...just not everyone's cup of tea!

Don't forget the pat down before you ride!

Edited by Jew

- Maintenance Worker got hurt by drop tower

- Guest was killed on spinning mouse

- Bolt/screw/something fell off of Thunder Dolphin onto a midway below (no injuries)

All three of these things happened within about a three month period in 2010/2011. Then the large earthquake hit six weeks later.

Dam that's horrible news for the park. Its always sad to lose a park so i really hope the park can survive all it's gone threw. Did the earthquake cause any major damage to the park?

^I felt the same--a decent, but disappointing coaster. I'm actually sadder that LaQua's Zombie Paradise dark ride is no more--now there was something unique.

Edited by cfc

• 6 months later...

A friend of mine was just there last month., visiting Japan with family, and hitting up a few parks. He said that there were no operating roller coasters. But they have added a ride that's similar to Spider-Man, involving some cat-girl character from manga. I'm tempted to stop by in August just to check it out, if time allows, but my time in Tokyo will be very tight, so I probably won't have time.

^Looking at your signature, don't worry...you got on the MUCH better Intamin coaster in Tokyo!

Yeah. When I went to Tobu Zoo, the park was mostly empty. I got to ride Kawasemi eight times in a row without leaving the station. Absolutely FANTASTIC ride!

While I haven't been on Kawasemi itself, I've been on its clone Piraten in Denmark. And the mega-lite and Thunder Dolphin weren't even close. It's really pretty much as Elissa describes. A nice, fun ride, neatly positioned on and through the building and through the wheel. But nothing terribly special. (Although I do have it on my keychain.)