TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any coaster/attraction that was a mistake from day one?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, for the double post...but does SFA count as a mistake?

Well I wouldnt count SFA as a mistake. They have a pretty diverse collection of coasters and and a good collection of flats. The park is pretty well themed and have some of the best looking tea cups I have seen anywhere! Its a pretty easy navigatiable park and not to mention the kick ass water park thats also included in the admission. Blizzard river is enough to get me back in the park, that is one of the most fun rides I have ever been on. Now what I didn't really care for are SOME of the employees, not all, but some of the employees act like they didnt really care about their job but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch in todays society but overall I liked the park!

There is nothing wrong with SFA; it's the people who live around there. Both the employees and the clintele leave a lot to be dessired.

I can think of sevaral rides that I would consider mistakes:

X- It could've used more time for devolment. It's unreliable and does not have good capacity. Because is not like anything else out there, everybody still rushs out to ride it. That and the capacity makes makes for four hour lines.

Deja Vu- Same

Winnie The Pooh (Disneyland)- It replaced a classic and was done on the cheap.

I'm with Dave and Eric when it comes to Psyclone. It was actually my favorite ride in the park when it came out.

X - Too "Xtreme" for a prototype

WindJammer - I don't know anybody who liked this ride

Silver Bullet - Ruined what "atmosphere" Knott's had left for a ride that, quite frankly, the more I ride it, the less I want to. (does that make sense?)

There is nothing wrong with SFA; it's the people who live around there. Both the employees and the clintele leave a lot to be dessired.

I beg to differ on your post and Jarmor's, as well. Being that I have lived in Northern Virginia for most of my life, I have seen the transition from the pathetic Adventure World to the current SFA. Yes, the employees at SFA really suck, but that is also because Park Management sucks too. I have been to the park repeatedly with my friends to let them ride, for example, Batwing....CLOSED. So we move on to SROS...CLOSED. Then we walk over to JJ....CLOSED. Get the picture? This is not to say that this is the only Six Flags with this issue, but it seems to be a recurring theme for them. For the record, we must not see eye-to-eye on SFA's "well-themed" park. I always found it interesting that Two-Face was placed outside of the Gotham and DC Comics area.

NOTE: Please excuse my bitterness, for still feel violated at the thought of going back to SFA.

The boats and DAK

Actually, from what I've read about those boats, they were going to be pretty darn cool before the higher-ups slashed the budget.

As for that Seuss ride at IOA...well, that shows why you shouldn't START building a ride until you're figured out the MIDDLE and END of it (not to mention the HOW). But what else do you expect from a park controlled by a major film studio? They greenlight unwritten movies all the damn time.

Teddymonster wrote:

Yes, the employees at SFA really suck, but that is also because Park Management sucks too.

The employees attitudes are directly correlated to the guests' behavior. One can only be bullied, threatened, yelled at, and cussed out by the park guests so many times before the smiles start to fade. It's normal to be called names and mocked by the guests. My favorite was when some dude called me a "white bitch" while I was working on Joker's Jinx. I've even seen guests attempt to assault the ride ops (and in some cases, they succeeded - I kid you not). Combine that with the nasty heat and the poor wages, and you honestly expect the employees to be cheerful? I only lasted two seasons at SFA, not even two full seasons. Aside from the horrible clientele, the job can actually be fun, which is why some people go back. Here's a tip: try smiling at and talking to the employees. Most are nice kids.

Also, when I was there, management held a contest where the employee of the year received a Sebring convertible. You gotta give them some credit, they are trying.

Any ideas for other ones or flat rides that never quite worked? There was the one at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Festa Italia. It was kind of like a Top Spin, but it never really worked right. I think it lasted a few years.

The Gladiator's Gauntlet...strangest ride ever! I just found some pics the other day and posted them on my site: http://amusementpics.com/BGWPA.htm

Teddymonster wrote:

Yes, the employees at SFA really suck, but that is also because Park Management sucks too.

The employees attitudes are directly correlated to the guests' behavior. One can only be bullied, threatened, yelled at, and cussed out by the park guests so many times before the smiles start to fade. It's normal to be called names and mocked by the guests. My favorite was when some dude called me a "white bitch" while I was working on Joker's Jinx. I've even seen guests attempt to assault the ride ops (and in some cases, they succeeded - I kid you not). Combine that with the nasty heat and the poor wages, and you honestly expect the employees to be cheerful? I only lasted two seasons at SFA, not even two full seasons. Aside from the horrible clientele, the job can actually be fun, which is why some people go back. Here's a tip: try smiling at and talking to the employees. Most are nice kids.

Also, when I was there, management held a contest where the employee of the year received a Sebring convertible. You gotta give them some credit, they are trying.

Minderaser, please excuse my extremism when I made the generalization that ALL employees and management suck. If I could rephrase my statement, I would state that almost all of the employees and park management that I have dealt with suck, it would probably be more accurate as opposed to plain biting. Hope this helps...

I have been to the park repeatedly with my friends to let them ride, for example, Batwing....CLOSED. So we move on to SROS...CLOSED. Then we walk over to JJ....CLOSED. Get the picture? This is not to say that this is the only Six Flags with this issue, but it seems to be a recurring theme for them. For the record, we must not see eye-to-eye on SFA's "well-themed" park. I always found it interesting that Two-Face was placed outside of the Gotham and DC Comics area.

NOTE: Please excuse my bitterness, for still feel violated at the thought of going back to SFA.

You know what, I went to the park on two consecutive days in the offseason (this may) and every attraction was working. Now should I consider myself lucky? The only attraction that happen to have some downtime was sea coaster and it was posted outside the park that the attraction was not operating (although it was on and off). And I do think SFA is pretty well themed. At the time there was no gotham city or dc comics area but are you gonna let one ride thats "miss placed" make the determination that the park isnt well themed...

Jarvis "not saying the park is perfect, but what park is..." Morant