TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any coaster/attraction that was a mistake from day one?

While KK is an absolute nightmare, especially for the 24-hour maintenance crew that works on it year-round, I wouldn't consider it a mistake, simply because it's held it's tallest coaster record for 10 years now, and with the many delays to Orlando Skyplex's "Polercoaster" might make it to 15 years. That record doesn't seem important to coaster enthusiasts who focus more on airtime (I would guess most people on TPR are more interested in El Toro), but that record sucks in the GP like crazy. While the awful capacity and downtime prevent it from being the most ridden coaster at the park, it is by far the most popular and generates the biggest crowds (however, only about half of them stay in line long enough to ride). Not even going into the quality of the ride experience, the attention it brings to the park alone made it worth the investment. It will still hold the record for tallest drop even when the polercoaster is built. So I have a feeling it will still generate attention up to the 2020's. If anything, Zumanjaro was the mistake (despite loving that ride it hasn't been nearly as successful as it should be, mostly due to a lack of promotion and the deceptively long (in terms of length, not wait time) line. It also all depends on who you ask though. Cost has been unbearable for sure.

Edited by p-sychiatrist

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That butterfly inversion DEFINITELY falls into this category! I'm so glad Vekoma doesn't make them anymore!

I have never been on Goudurix and have only heard terrible things, but I have been on Ninja and find the butterfly loop to be one of the best inversions I've experienced. It is very intense, unique, and disorienting, as is the entire coaster which I think is heavily underrated and overly hated.

Aww you're no fun, just trying to get people to post more as suggested in your newsletter- I think my topic had a much catchier title! Thanks for finding and merging though, if that's what you wish, I didn't see anything on the topic when I searched but I guess I didn't look hard enough

It's painfully obvious that you're trying to just get attention with all the threads you're bumping and creating. Well done.

KK- I mean who's idea was it to take a ride which was already a disaster for CP and make it bigger??

Superman The Escape-Opened a year late and never made it more than 65% up the tower until it was reprofiled in 2011. Not to mention the ride cost about $20 million in 1996, I'm sure thats close to $30 million in 2015..all for a ride that's not that thrilling (especially when it ran forwards).

Intimidator 305-Yes it's a great ride, but the GP isnt a fan of it, the ride cost millions in reprofiles, and it didnt get them the attendance increase they wanted. I'm sure if KD could do it over, they would've installed a cookie-cutter B&M hyper like Carowinds did that same year.

Teddymonster wrote:

Yes, the employees at SFA really suck, but that is also because Park Management sucks too.

The employees attitudes are directly correlated to the guests' behavior. One can only be bullied, threatened, yelled at, and cussed out by the park guests so many times before the smiles start to fade. It's normal to be called names and mocked by the guests. My favorite was when some dude called me a "white bitch" while I was working on Joker's Jinx. I've even seen guests attempt to assault the ride ops (and in some cases, they succeeded - I kid you not). Combine that with the nasty heat and the poor wages, and you honestly expect the employees to be cheerful? I only lasted two seasons at SFA, not even two full seasons. Aside from the horrible clientele, the job can actually be fun, which is why some people go back. Here's a tip: try smiling at and talking to the employees. Most are nice kids.

Also, when I was there, management held a contest where the employee of the year received a Sebring convertible. You gotta give them some credit, they are trying.

Amen to this post. I've been called every name in the book by guest. There are the guest that scream at you when you tell them that their kid did not win a game, they get really pissed. Then there are the awesome guest that you will talk to you for x amount of time and make your job fun. I love my job and love working at DP. Working in games, guest think i know everything and then they get pissed at me for a ride being down....

On the other hand, Stinger at DP was the worst mistake in the world. The coaster has been down more than its been open. The coaster finished its fourth season at the park, and i finished my third this season, and the coaster has been down more than open in my time there. Its every sad actually because i've talked to guest who've come to dorney just to ride stinger.

Aww you're no fun, just trying to get people to post more as suggested in your newsletter- I think my topic had a much catchier title! Thanks for finding and merging though, if that's what you wish, I didn't see anything on the topic when I searched but I guess I didn't look hard enough

Sorry, didn't mean to ruin your fun, but if it means anything, I also like your title better.

KK Superman The Escape[/b]-Opened a year late and never made it more than 65% up the tower until it was reprofiled in 2011. Not to mention the ride cost about $20 million in 1996, I'm sure thats close to $30 million in 2015..all for a ride that's not that thrilling (especially when it ran forwards).

What's the difference between this and you're average B&M hyper? They both cost about $30 million, and both aren't that thrilling

KK- I mean who's idea was it to take a ride which was already a disaster for CP and make it bigger??

Superman The Escape-Opened a year late and never made it more than 65% up the tower until it was reprofiled in 2011. Not to mention the ride cost about $20 million in 1996, I'm sure thats close to $30 million in 2015..all for a ride that's not that thrilling (especially when it ran forwards).

Intimidator 305-Yes it's a great ride, but the GP isnt a fan of it, the ride cost millions in reprofiles, and it didnt get them the attendance increase they wanted. I'm sure if KD could do it over, they would've installed a cookie-cutter B&M hyper like Carowinds did that same year.

Kinda feel like most everything you said right there was hearsay. Superman never got reprofiled, just new trains and started running backwards. When it first opened it was one of the most covered roller coasters in the world because 400 feet/100mph was unheard of back then. The issues started when SFMM got cheap and stopped running it at full speed.

I'm still surprised that I305 doesn't have a longer wait time for KD, it's certainly not the MF homerun in terms of popularity but still a great ride.

Kinda feel like most everything you said right there was hearsay. Superman never got reprofiled, just new trains and started running backwards. When it first opened it was one of the most covered roller coasters in the world because 400 feet/100mph was unheard of back then. The issues started when SFMM got cheap and stopped running it at full speed.

I'm still surprised that I305 doesn't have a longer wait time for KD, it's certainly not the MF homerun in terms of popularity but still a great ride.

Although I'm not a fan of Kingda Ka, I disagree with this list. I305 does, indeed, intimidate many people, but it was still sporting some long lines during Haunt this year.

Pilgrims Plunge: Holiday World needed a Shoot-the-Chutes attraction for the park, but this ride did not live up to expectations. The ride was closed almost as much as it was open, as well as being an overall underwhelming experience. Yes, it had the "record-breaking" marketability and a unique elevator lift. However, the end result was extended downtime and plain disappointment.

Pilgrims Plunge: Holiday World needed a Shoot-the-Chutes attraction for the park, but this ride did not live up to expectations. The ride was closed almost as much as it was open, as well as being an overall underwhelming experience. Yes, it had the "record-breaking" marketability and a unique elevator lift. However, the end result was extended downtime and plain disappointment.

I agree with you. In addition to the downtime, the concept animation for PP's splash never matched reality. The water level/splash didn't feel quite right, with the boats glide-hopping over the water and then suddenly nose-dunking to a sudden crawl. Speaking of PP, I just remembered Perilous Plunge, another non-success story.

All the while, I was actually coming here to post Shoot the Rapids, another Intamin water ride. I could build a case on maintenance/accident/delay issues alone, but my chief disappointment is that the ride is somehow significantly less fun than many older flumes, including the one that left for Maverick. Two average drops, with the second being less climactic than the first, broken up by a multi-minute, 2 mph meandering at ground level. The layout feels backwards and has worse pacing than many Arrow flumes. If it ain't broken, don't fix it: the flume formula got overthought and overcooked here.

The trains and riders get waterlogged, the restraints feel excessive for what the ride is, and it's unfortunately a ride I've come to avoid. I think flumes should be the the light-intermediary amount of wetness alternative to splashdown and rapids rides, but StR can drench like the other two water rides in the same area. I always thought that its real estate in the park should have gone to any number of other attractions.

Chiapas at Phantasialand, a newer Intamin flume, looks impressive and much more refined: a true modern flume. The modernity that went into StR only seems to have made it needlessly complicated and confused its identity.

Let's not forget the S&S Skysling. Maybe i am in the minority here, but every time I visited a park that had one of these (which were very few) the ride was always closed due to "maintenance" issues. Obviously they were not a great product considering all previous installations have been removed, and S&S no longer makes them.

Kinda feel like most everything you said right there was hearsay. Superman never got reprofiled, just new trains and started running backwards.

How is that not a re-profile? It now runs differently than its original design

The issues started when SFMM got cheap and stopped running it at full speed.

If anything, THIS is hearsay

Kinda feel like most everything you said right there was hearsay. Superman never got reprofiled, just new trains and started running backwards.

How is that not a re-profile? It now runs differently than its original design

That is in no way a reprofile. A reprofile would be them changing the track, like the original Rattler or Cyclone at Sfne before rmc came in.

First, how do we know that track work wasnt done on S:TE?? I don't recall Six Flags ever disclosing any information regarding that.

Second, even if there wasnt track work done I still consider it a re-profile same as Rougarou. At the end of the day "re-profile" is a matter of verbiage.

Third, there's no set rule on how much a ride has to change for it to be considered a re-profile vs. a modification vs we got new trains y'all

^ Actually Mean Streak was a lot of fun when it first opened. But once the coaster started tearing itself up and they put the trim on the drop, it went from fun to pretty much awful. Yet, still no where near as awful as Son Of Beast.

I agree with others about Pilgrim's Plunge. I think that I still have a sore in my mouth from where my teeth/cheeks crunched together when we hit the water at the bottom of the drop. The lift up and the drop was very unique, but oh my was that landing brutal!