TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any coaster/attraction that was a mistake from day one?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun reminiscing about posters from TPR past during the first half of this thread.

I'm going to bring up Hypersonic XLC again. I think the day the park announced this ride I swore off PKD. I didn't go back for another 6 years. When I finally did ride it (6 or 7 years later) it was worse than I imagined. It starts off with horrible restraints, a pretty impressive launch, pain, more pain, and clamoring for the jaws of life to get off the ride.

Thank you, Cedar Fair!

Fun reminiscing about posters from TPR past during the first half of this thread.

I'm going to bring up Hypersonic XLC again. I think the day the park announced this ride I swore off PKD. I didn't go back for another 6 years. When I finally did ride it (6 or 7 years later) it was worse than I imagined. It starts off with horrible restraints, a pretty impressive launch, pain, more pain, and clamoring for the jaws of life to get off the ride.

Thank you, Cedar Fair!

What about Hypersonic made you swear off KD?

The Dark Knights. Let's theme a Family coaster to a PG-13 Movie and advertise it as a thrill coaster for families.

Thank you, Cedar Fair!

What about Hypersonic made you swear off KD?

At the time I was sick of the park getting short gimmicky thrills like Flight of Fear and Volcano (not that I don't enjoy those rides, although this was pre-lapbars on FoF). I wanted something like a hyper or a steel coaster that broke 3,000 feet in length. I think this was also during the height of Paramount's mismanagement. The park had lost a lot of its original charm and it just didn't feel like the park I grew up with. In particular, I had just had the worst ride on Grizzly (my favorite ride in the park at the time). That ride on Grizzly was slow and meandering and makes me think about how the one at CGA must run.

Anyway, the Hypersonic announcement was just the capper to how I felt the park was going down hill.

Edit to add:

I think I had recently been watching those Discovery-Travel channel specials where they had been covering new rides opening in 2000--Goliath at SFMM, MF at CP and other recent ones like Medusa at SFGAdv. They actually showed the Thrust Air 2000 prototype in Utah and I remember thinking "Looks like something KD would get"

Meanwhile, down the road in Williamsburg, Busch Gardens was getting pretty lengthy rides like Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot.

Hypersonic might have been terrible, but (at the very least indirectly) because of it and Dodonpa, S&S has been fairly successful in the launched coaster business with Powder Keg and those coasters in China that use compressed air launches.

Hypersonic might have been terrible, but (at the very least indirectly) because of it and Dodonpa, S&S has been fairly successful in the launched coaster business with Powder Keg and those coasters in China that use compressed air launches.

Yeah. On the flipside, I loved the hell out of Powder Keg.

Timber Tower at Dollywood was a mistake from day 1. It was really well themed but the ride was very "meh." Also it kept breaking down and was eventually removed a couple seasons later. Now all we have to remember it by is a patio...

IMG_1041.thumb.JPG.97258c25418b7246edba09bde6f8d521.JPG

Surprised no one has mentioned this epic flop - Moonsault Scramble at Fuji Q.

Certainly looked cool the first time that I saw it in the Guinness Book Of World Records as the tallest coaster at over 200 feet. But just think about a 200+ ft high Boomerang and what it might do to your body....OMG OUCH!!!!!

Capture.JPG.134fc32546bdb88ea35c89fbacf45751.JPG

Courtesy Panoramio (Google)

^^The train takes forever to go to the top and to stop. But given that FujiQ bought Dodompa and Eejanaika, they might not concern about capacity as much. I don't know how that tiny station can hold the 10 hours line.

The ride pulls 6.2 G's and it exceeded Japan's safety regulation's limit which I think is 4.8 so that might be what caused the removal. Meisho coasters are generally not as rough as TOGO coasters from what I know.

I was lucky to ride Moonsault Scramble in the late 80's. It wasn't really rough. However, the g-forces WERE extremely high. I greyed out and really almost blacked out.

I remember almost passing out and falling to the ground as I was getting off, but I definitely did enjoy it !

Green Lantern at SFMM.

Crappy ride (or at least how SF runs it) + crappy capacity = extreme disappointment.

Need I say more?

You don't need to say more, but you should try to get to Sweden to experience how the ride was meant to run.

I wouldn't really call Magic Mountain's Green Lantern a mistake from day one since I heard that it wasn't massively trimmed and had its shurikens for its first few months instead of being a slower ride with elephant ears. The big mistake from day one for the ride is the crappy capacity. Scream! on the other hand is a coaster that really fits the category because SFMM is like "We need another coaster for the thrills! Time to build it on top of a parking lot and watch the ride run for the next few years" and then the ride gets rattly and its ugly paint is very faded and did I mention that it's placed in one of the most unknown places in the park?

^I don't think that the problem was the height, or even the loop, really. From what I've heard it was one of the smoothest parts of the ride. The problem was the manufacturer. If you look at their coasters they're all very rough (with quite a few being among the roughest out there). I've only ridden one RCCA and it was the bumpiest and worst coaster I've been on.

I was lucky to ride Moonsault Scramble in the late 80's. It wasn't really rough. However, the g-forces WERE extremely high. I greyed out and really almost blacked out.

I remember almost passing out and falling to the ground as I was getting off, but I definitely did enjoy it !

Oh, that's something I wouldn't mind experiencing. 6.2 Gs is a lot!

Surprised no one has mentioned this epic flop - Moonsault Scramble at Fuji Q.

Certainly looked cool the first time that I saw it in the Guinness Book Of World Records as the tallest coaster at over 200 feet. But just think about a 200+ ft high Boomerang and what it might do to your body....OMG OUCH!!!!!

Deja Vu/Stunt Fall/Goliath are almost 200ft and don't have OUCH Headbanging.

Screaming Squirrel

Seems to be a recurring theme with S&S coasters... Again, I don't think we would have gotten those cool new El Locos had the Screaming Squirrel not existed beforehand.