TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone else pick up the new Studio Ghibli DVD's today?

kenshinmac

Did you grab any?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Did you grab any?

• Nausicaa
    • Porco Rosso
    • The Cat Returns
    • Nausicaa + Porco Rosso
    • Nausicaa + The Cat Returns
    • Porco Rosso + The Cat Returns
    • All
    • None
    • Who is Miyazaki / What is Studio Ghibli?

Well I know I am a big fan of Miyazaki's work so I had to run out and get Nausicaa and Porco Rosso today. I passed on The Cat Returns because it just wasn't as exciting. The Poll is above... Did you grab any of the other DVD's from them? Princess Mononoke, My Neighboor Totoro (Fox release. Disney's is still coming), Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky. All of them are amazing. There is also the Grave of Fireflies which is by a different director but the same studio and is honestly one of the most heartbreaking movies I have ever seen.

These are real masterpieces. If you can't buy them please at least rent some and get the experience.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Buy

BTW the person who put who is Miyazaki/ What is Studio Ghibli check this site. It has all sorts of info on what they have done in the past and are working on now. Honestly if you haven't seen any of their movies before Princess Mononoke is probably the best started as it is just beautiful and has a adult type story (don't show this to kids it has dismemberment (a few arms and legs removed) and decapitation although it isn't really a violent/gory anime. Just keep it in mind when selecting which movie to watch). Although Castle in the Sky, Kiki, and Nausicaa are great starters as well and are good for all ages the little ones included.[/url]

Honestly Spirited Away is my least favorite of Miyazaki's works. It is just a little too far removed from american mythos to really work here. Apparently much of it is derived from asian mythologies and therefore makes more sense to those cultures.

Honestly give some of the others a chance because they are far more understandable and a lot more fun in almost every way. Try out Princess Mononoke and all the parts you didn't like in Spirited Away should be forgiven.

Lets face it every director makes a movie that isn't the greatest(Uwe Boll might one day make a good movie... Who knows lol). Miyazaki made a movie that just didn't click in the american audiences... I was bummed by it but I loved the animation so I still bought it. I still didn't feel it had the magic of his others.

Grave of the Fireflies can be bought through Central park media. Or My local target actually has a huge selection of Anime and they actually sell a few Studio Ghibli films.

My Neighbor Totoro is Hayao Miyazaki and was released in the US through Fox.

I have three so far. Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and My Neighbor Totoro. Eventually, I'll get more of them, it just comes down to money and availability. I'm hoping to see Howl's Moving Castle this summer in a theatre.

• 1 year later...

Miyazaki is amazing! I love his films, and my personal favorites are:

1. My Neighbor Totoro (This is the first film by him that I saw, when I was about 4 years old. I am emotionally attached to this movie!)

2. Spirited Away (What can I say, it's amazing!)

3. Nausicaa (I saw this on Cartoon Network, and I was blow away. I had never heard of this, and I loved it!)

4. Castle in the Sky (Interesting and very good, but not my favorite. )

Spirited Away is the movie that introduced me to Miyazaki. I absolutely love it. I don't watch a lot of anime, but his stuff really has heart. I purchased Nausicaa back last year and recently watched it. I found it enchanting. Since then, I've purchased Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle, but haven't seen them yet.