TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Giant Slides

I saw this on the Cedar Point facebook page posted and wondered about these giant slides. The only one I have ever seen and rode is the one at Dutch Wonderland. Where else do these still exist? Does anyone know who the manufacturer was?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closest thing I can relate to with these slides are the so-called "Potato Sack" Super Slides. Once you got to the last couple humps, your butt would be thumping. The one I used to ride all the time at a local festival I think had 3 lanes so it was probably a bit smaller but when hitting the runoff, occasionally I'd just make it to the grass. Good times riding those!

Now remembering it, what we had was known as a "Teaco Slide" that looked like this:

I think there is/was one at the Sant aMonica Pier in Los Angeles but I'm not sure.

And I rode a carnival version (like the small one pictured above) at Coney Island Ohio during the Midwest trip in 2007. It's probbaly still there.

I rode many others like it in water parks, but those ende up in apool so they're probably not exactly the sort of ride you meant.

The slide at Erlebnispark Strasswalchen tried to kill most of us and was simply amazing!!!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=571&linkid=9681&pageno=2

I can also think of Bobbejaanland, Tivoli and some other parks that have awesome big slides like that.

Oh, and more locally...The INSECT-O-SLIDE!!!! Wild Adventures' best named ride ever!!!

Yeah the one at Hershey though is definitely smaller than the one at Dutch Wonderland or the one in this photo. These look like the new mat racers. There had to be a bunch of these style because both Cedar Point and Dutch Wonderland had them. Some of my favorite memories early in life were riding that giant slide at Dutch Wonderland. Yuck it looks like the replaced the one at Dutch Wonderland with a 3 lane smaller slide. The original looked like this http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=LNfZ9Qb1gZ9zSM:&imgrefurl=http://janeqb.tripod.com/our_family_photos/index.album/with-the-dw-gang%3Fi%3D1%26s%3D&docid=QX2G56nj-qKV2M&itg=1&imgurl=http://janeqb.tripod.com/our_family_photos/slide.jpg&w=714&h=800&ei=-HnfTpbKJanX0QHcusXIBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=301&vpy=133&dur=643&hovh=238&hovw=212&tx=91&ty=139&sig=107066123316645215893&page=1&tbnh=146&tbnw=130&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0 . Probably about 6 lanes and huge. Good times.

I think there is/was one at the Sant aMonica Pier in Los Angeles but I'm not sure.

I've never seen one of those slides at the Santa Monica Pier.

The only park I've been to that I can remember having one of those slides would be Quassy. It's a bummer since they really are fun.

I've seen the three lane slides at almost every fair and carnival I've been to, but the only permanent parks I've seen them at were smaller places like Palace Playland, Quassy Amusement Park and Scandia Amusement Park. They're fun, but my favorite giant slide is the Euroslide that appears at my local fair every year. Seven lanes across and about sixty feet tall. It's owned by RCS so I'm guessing it appears at the other fairs they do as well.

My "home" park - Midway State Park has a fun slide although I do not have a pic of it (will try and snap one next summer).

However, they used to have one of the mammoth 8 or 10 laners with the burlap sacks and I still remember to this day getting crazy airtime on the 2nd hill and burning your skin on it if touched the hot sheet metal (yep, it wasn't plastic or fiberglass)! I think it finally had rusted to the point where they had to tear it down despite numerous repairs to it over the years. Couldn't believe that Google results couldn't find a match photo.

One time when I was in my wild teenage years, me and a couple of my friends went there in the winter with snow sleds and scaled the fence after drinking a bottle of whiskey - bad idea. Not only did I get airtime off the second hill, I crashed into the side of the slide and smashed my face into it and then hit the fence at the bottom making me see stars and giving me a bloody nose.

Glad I've grown up since then.

I remember there being yellow one in Playland when I was a kid. I think it was beside the log flume, but I can't really remember very well. But I do remember going down it with my mom, and watching my dad and his friend race. I wonder why they got rid of it? I mean not like a slide takes much up keep or staff.

The one at Dutch Wonderland was awesome. It was a lot more fun that the smaller 3 lane slides they have now. Playland's Castway Cove in Ocean City, NJ also has a 3 lane slide. Morey's had one of the larger models but didn't seem as good as the one at Dutch Wonderland. The other problem with the one at Morey's was that they only ran 1 lane at a time despite it having around 12 lanes so it was a long wait even when there weren't a lot of people in line.

• 1 month later...