TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever feel like you had a near death experience on a coaster?

Wow, a thnderstorm while sitting on a huge peice of metal that practically says electrify me all over it during a thunderstorm....that would be scary.

Anyway, I've been scared multiple times.

1. On the lift on Viper at SFMM

2. On the lift on Ghostrider

3. Waiting in line for, and sitting, waiting to leave the station on my first ride on Tatsu.

4. Waiting to go on Deja vu at SFMM.

that's about it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to go with Deja Vu and X.

I was not scared before riding Deja Vu, but I found the first spike to be one of the most intense elements on a coaster.

In regards to X, it felt as though I was going to fall out. I have yet to lift my hands on that ride. Not to mention out of the five times I have ridden it, I have pulled a muscle twice.

• 5 years later...

Have you ever felt like you had a near death experience on a coaster? The only time I literally felt unsafe on a coaster was on the turn around on the Conneaut Blue Streak. I rode it the second weekend it was open last year. That has to be my least favorite classic coaster.

When my family and I went to Six Flags over Georgia (along with the other major parks of the Southeast) my step-brother and I went on Georgia Cyclone. Our seat belt was not buckled, and the lap bars were very high for scrawny 10 year olds. We felt like we were falling out. The random guy behind us actually put his hands over us to stop us from falling out.

Not a coaster, but on Catapult at SFNE, I had the lapbar pulled down extremely tight (for obvious reasons), and while we were inverted, the bar popped up a notch. Fortunately it was still locked, but in that split second, I thought I was going to fall out.

I know I was never in any real danger, but I was riding Apollo's Chariot once and I (as usual) tried to keep my restraint up as high as possible while the ride ops were checking the train. I was pretty surprised when the op didn't lower it at all, he only pulled up to make sure it was locked, and when I went down over the first drop, I flew SO high up out of my seat, I was actually worried. That was the only time I ever purposefully pushed my restraint down into a tighter position!

This isn’t technically a “roller coaster”; it happened on a Zipper at the Arizona State Fair. Anyway, my brother and I sat down and the operators slammed the door closed on the car. …But, as the ride started to pick up speed, we noticed that the door wasn’t completely closed! It had flapped open slightly a couple of times and was banging really noisily. We both noticed this and right before performing a flip, we slammed it completely closed!

It turns out, there was a secondary lock which would have probably saved us anyway, but it was still quite a scare!

The ride operators must have seen, or heard, what had happened because they stopped the ride and asked us if we were OK. I replied, “The door wasn’t completely closed, so we slammed it closed. You might want to double-check it.” They then offered to let us out (probably assuming we were scared out of our wits). I replied, “It’s all locked up now, so let’s finish the ride!”

It turned out to be a pretty lame ride since it was stopped mid-ride, and I guess never got to full speed. Oh well, it makes for a great story!

Probably the first time I rode El Toro. I was sitting in the back car with my hands up, (before the drop, that is). When we started going down, I had the biggest heart attack feeling that lasted the entire ride. I know it's a safe coaster and all, but I was pretty young and didn't know what airtime truly was up until that moment. It was pretty terrifying for an 11-year-old. But at least now I'm fearless on other coasters

Another experience was on River Adventure at IOA. I was sitting next to a massive individual and the lap bar was more than a foot away from comfort. The entire ride I was apprehensive about the big drop because I thought I was definitely gonna fall out. Luckily, and obviously, I didn't!

^^^^I had almost the exact same experience in the back row of Apollo's Chariot the last day of Howl-O-Scream this year. I had a water bottle in my coat pocket that kept the bar from ratcheting down all the way; the red line was barely showing. But I moved the bottle going up the lift so there was a ridiculous amount of space between the bar and my lap. Going down the first drop I flew up so high but held the lap bar up so it wouldn't go down, but over the second hill. I had my legs straight and could feel myself slipping up and backwards. I pushed the bar down after that.

^ Pretty much the same thing happened to me last summer on NTAG. I purposefully kept my knees up so the ride op didn't staple me in, then as soon as we were tearing down the first drop I realized how stupid of an idea it was. I really thought I was going to die. And on NTAG, the restraints are really heavy and you can't really pull them down like on a B&M. It was terrifying.

Not a coaster, but at the fair there's this ride called Tango (

), and I'm a pretty big guy (6'2, 250 pounds at the time, now 230 ), and the restraint, which is sort of like a sliver of metal that shoots through under you to lock connected to metal shoulder restraints, started notching outward DURING the ride. I kept pulling it in as I was flipping but it kept coming out. By the time the ride was ending, it was at the last notch outward. I really think I would have fallen out and died if the ride was not over. RCS basically shut me up with 30 free ride passes, and the next time I was at the fair two days later, the ride was closed and they were re-bolting all of the seat restraints. This was at the OC Fair (who uses RCS for rides).

No, but I haven't been to China yet.

Speaking of that...the shuttle loop at Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park is seriously terrifying. Not a good sound to hear the upstops crashing against the track to keep you in place.

^^^I totally felt that way on the exact same ride at the OC Fair. It was really the only time I felt unsafe on a ride. Well, that time and SPEED (RCS's booster). Not really related, but a guys phone fell out of his pocket on Tango, and it landed in the trash can . On SPEED, one of my friend's restraints wasn't closed properly, and she, too, only got the free credits or whatever. The year before, I took my sister in one of the funhouses (the one with the 3 story enclosed spiral slide), and the carnie at the top of the slide was DRUNK (or high). He was actually yelling at people to hurry and go down the slide, when it was crowded. The man before us going down the slide was old, and got stuck halfway through because the turn was so tight. People were piling up behind us in the slide, and it was a mess.

First time I rode Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm. I rode the back seat, and even though the lap bars were pretty tight,the ejector air made me feel like I was slipping out from the lapbar. On top of that I felt like my spine was cracking.

1st time was on Rush at Thorpe Park. The seatbelt loosened a notch when we were hanging facing down.

2nd time was on Detonator at Thorpe Park. It got to the top and didn't move. I thought it was broken down. It then dropped, and for a second I thought "Oh God, I'm going to die...)

3rd was on Tonner ee Zeus at Parc Asterix. Scary ride...