TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever feel like you had a near death experience on a coaster?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I wouldn't recommend trying that on Tatsu. That very same thing happened to my Dad on Manta at Sea World. Lost the keys to the motor home and if you have ever ridden it, you know that most of the ride is either over water, shrubs, or rocks!

I lost my iPhone on Tatsu, in the pretzel loop. Strangely it was after countless times riding it and X2 without losing anything. Find my iPhone showed it by the loop and Revolution but they were never able to find it...

I was REALLY freaked the first time I rode Tatsu; the scary part was going up that lift hill for the first time. I seriously thought the restraints were going to open up. I've gotten over heights after my trip to the Stratosphere though.

• 1 month later...

When I was probably about 12 or 13 my friend and I had went on Viper at Darien Lake. I don't remember details but somehow the ride started without the restraints being locked. I'm freaking out thinking it was just mine but it was the whole train so everyone started screaming and they didn't stop the ride and roll it back till we were almost to the top of the hill. I was terrified and was planning out how I'd hold onto the car if they didn't stop it and if you've been on Viper you'd know there weren't a lot of options. I don't know if things changed but then as I recall we didn't even have a seatbelt, just the otsr's that once you pull down are supposed to lock. To top it off also I remember the ride ops not apologizing for what happened or really saying anything to us about it at all because I was kind of waiting for an explanation. At least that incident didn't scar me and make me never want to go on another coaster, but I always give myself a tug and make sure everything is in working order now!

Jack Rabbit, Kennywood, every dang time.. If that seatbelt's loose it seems like you're done for. Went a little past the comfort zone a few times on that one!

That and Teh Big Dipper back when it was still open. I was fairly small, and I rode that alone. No problem, until the seatbelt came undone going up the lift and I struggled to get it back on in time before the first drop. Hung on for dear life the rest of the ride! Looking back I was probably fine, but as a kid, really freaked me out!

About five years ago I got on big thunder mountain railroad (DLR)... that ride scares the mess out of me... after the accidents.

The ride was kinda fun! It was my second time on so I knew what to expect... What I didn't count on was the ride feeling like I was riding a jackhammer. WOW. Then after lift 3 we went into that turn... we could hear what sounded like a motorcycle engine. It got faster as we raced around the turn and slower as we reached the "brakes" and in to the final turn. It sounded like the wheels... on the right side. I was so scared for my life right then. I thought "Oh no... not here and now?!!"

I remember feeling like I'd been bashed nearly to death after riding Predator at Darien Lake a few years ago.

I also have vague memories of riding Raging Wolf Bobs at GL when it was brand new, and I was a kid. I don't know how it really might have gone, but I felt like I was about to fly out of my seat if I didn't hold on tight enough at one of the turns.

I was 11 on Iron Wolf and I was playing with the seat.( like jumping up and down) And it locked when I was in the air. And for some reason the operation crew didn't see it was a problem. So my feet were dangling and the ride was extremely rough and I was being thrown around alot ....But I thought I was going to die when we went through the corkscrew because I leaned my body out the side to avoid the head banging. ( I know what a dumb thing to do but it seamed like a smart idea at the time) and my whole body was being pushed out the side. It was the only time I thought I was going to die on a roller coaster .... And I stayed away from Iron Wolf for a while lol.

• 3 months later...

When I first started riding coasters about 7 years ago and had only about 70 credits to my name. Was at Fuji-Q on Fujiyama when it stalled just before the top of the lift hill. Everytime they tried to restart the ride it would stall and the whole hill would sway back and forth a little. I was on the outside and could lean over and look close to 200 feet straight down. A little unnerving until we got evacuated.

I don't recall having one on a coaster but one particular flat ride I will not ride anymore. The Topscan. Years ago at the State Fair of Texas I thought it looked so fun...a tad bit intimidating too. I am short and a plump ass so I have a hard time getting into rides or coasters with the hanging seats. First off the operator fumbled with my seat a bit, I should have gotten off then. As the ride started I some how got really lopsided in the seat. One leg hanging down farther than the other. I got stuck that way the entire ride cycle, and slipped more and more the faster it went.Needless to say I was terrified and it was an extreme white knuckle ride for me. Years later I attempted to conquer my fear of it. It did not go to well. Needless to say as fun as it looks, now I just sit back and watch.

Not really deathly, but...

X - The first time I rode it I seriously thought the ride was going to break my back. I felt like a human pinball in a steel cage.

Alabama Adventure StratosFear Screamer - It looked so old and ready to break, then on our drop the tower started shaking, there was a band and the ride shuddered and one of the rubber wheels went flying off.

• 2 years later...

thankfully not. Though last sunday at SFDK I was able to lift roar's lapbar a inch off my waist/thighs. The first ride I still had my hands up on the first drop but had my butt and feet firmly planted. After the drop I soon realized it would be 100% fine and it was.

When I was a noob and just starting steelcoasters at 15-16ish I almost cried in medusa's station thinking my harness was going to pop-open.

Not really a near-death experience, but at Kings Dominion (ECB was my first time there) I kept graying out on I-305 on that turn that's right after the first drop. First coaster I ever grayed out on.

The same thing happened to me! I rode Volcano prior to that and I think I may have blacked out on the launch for a second or two.

thankfully not. Though last sunday at SFDK I was able to lift roar's lapbar a inch off my waist/thighs. The first ride I still had my hands up on the first drop but had my butt and feet firmly planted. After the drop I soon realized it would be 100% fine and it was.

When I was a noob and just starting steelcoasters at 15-16ish I almost cried in medusa's station thinking my harness was going to pop-open.

Just FYI, Roar has ratchet lap bars that are designed to do that.

I remember on my first ride on Phoenix (I was probably 15-16 at the time) I was in the very back row, and on the second half of the double down I lifted out of my seat as usual, but also sort of fell backwards. The way I remember it I ended up basically sitting on the back of the seat with my legs locked against the top of the bar until I was able to slide back down into my seat. I have no idea how close I actually was to falling out, and it really didn't faze me too much considering, but it sure felt like I might slide out the back that train.