TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever feel like you had a near death experience on a coaster?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah hah - good one Phishy.

My scare involves any time a coaster stops on a hill-climb-chainy-thingy. My worst happened at (believe it or not) The Beast, on it's second hill. We were stopped several feet before the top, and the announcement came on about a train needing extra loading time.

THEN my agoraphobia kicked in Big Time, and I thought the whole train I was on was slowly going to tip off the track! Or fall backwards, into an eventual wreck, hee hee.

Isn't it great how the mind works?

My first ride on S:ROS was scary because it was the first time id been on a coaster thats over 200ft...

Oh ya also my Magnum ride was scary... Going up the lift, the train seemed to like... wobble from side to side and It was like it was going to go over the edge... and the view of the ground wasnt helping.. oh and the wind wasnt helping either...

Oh and ive always had this fear of impulse coasters... I was on Wicked Twister and I thought we were going to hit the top... and the view from the back seat... looking down.. not knowing how much track is left above you... oh my god I was freaking out..

Oblivion at Alton Towers scared me half to death. I'd been on it when I was younger. But I went last year and my first ride on it that year was the seat on very far side and it really looks like your not going to fit in the hole and just smash into the concrete. I remember just shouting 'FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK' all the way down the drop and then more repeated swearing as I entered the break run.

A few years ago I went to the Hempstead Fair or carnival or something out at the Nassau Colliseum. They had a coaster there that me and my friend went on. There weren't any seatbelts, any lap bars, or for that matter, any restraints at all. We thought nothing of it since it was such a small ride. Wowee, were we wrong. From off the ride, you don't really grasp the elements of the ride so well. The lift hill was hidden by a wall that had the name of the ride and all that good stuff.

As soon as we turned the corner and started to drop, I saw up ahead of us a fairly banked turn of roughly 90 degrees. Now, remember that there are no restraints on this ride. I quickly look around the car and see this little thin bar on either side of the car. I grab each tightly, more tightly than a woman giving birth squeezes the hand of the person standing next to her (hopefully that didn't come off too bad). I am screaming very loudly by this time. As we enter the turn, I just start screaming, Holy F*ck, Holy F*ck, repeatedly. In the turn, I feel my ass slowly peel away from the seat beneath me. I was scared as all hell by that time. Luckily, the damn coaster gained enough speed to get the heck out of that turn quickly.

The rest of the ride, I have no clue what transpired because all I could think about was that ~90 degree bank. Maybe I wasn't scared to death but I surely was scared that I wasn't going to make it back to the station. Phew, what a ride. I went on it again.

I was a bit freaked the first time getting on Millenium Force only because of the height and the lack of restraint. That little of a restraint scares the crap out of me. Once I rode it though, I was fine.

Also I was a bit nervous to go on Sheikra. Once again, once I did it, I was fine.

Now I am a bit nervous to get on Storm Runner. It will be a first of its kind for me, and also plan to make it my 100th coaster. I am sure once its over though I will ride it again and again though.

Me and my gf went on one of those flying carpet rides at some cheap fun fair. So we were going around and the restraints were really loose then the ride got going proper and the restraints completely went! The attendant didn't notice so the only thing holding us in through out the entire ride was me pushing the bar down. Luckly we lived lol.

When I went to IOA it was my first time in a American theme park our host told us to go on the Hulk first since we were first in. I never been on a proper Roller Coaster before this so I got straight on it no queue first row. Were going up the lift nice and slow but my host failed to mention the sudden blast off half way up and the loop as you exit the lift! Needless to say the picture of me on the ride was of me with my eyes closed and open mouthed.

The Mystery Castle I went on at Phantasialand, Germany was pretty scary too pitch black power tower drop I couldnt see anything but felt it all!

2 years ago I was in Six Flafs Holland and were heading to Goliath. This was the biggest highest coaster I ever did and though I loved it the moments before riding it were real hell for me. I was weaiting in line and got so afraid to ride it that I actually got onto panic attack including black and sweating. It felt like I am about to have an heart attack. 5 minutes later I felt a bit better and things got back to the right proportions : it suppose to be fun ! . 30 minuts later I was inside. I was horoffied but enjoyed it. Still jusr waiting in line and looking at the lift hill made me so nervous I really felt that was the end of the world.

Pretty much any time I ride a new kind of coaster, I get fairly nervous. The first time I went up the first hill of Millenium Force, I had to keep myself from hyperventilating, but it was love at first drop after that.

I was also nervous when I first went on the old Steel Phantom at Kennywood, because that was my first steel looping coaster, back when the concept of going upside down still freaked me out.

X scared the crap outta me the first 4 times I went on it (mostly in the front-what a view on the drop!), but then i was like, wtf, i've been on this 4 times, and it's been the same. Thus ending my fear of X. Goliath the first time on it.

Now, MF, was probably the scariest. I decided that, as i wouldn't get on this ride again for a few years, why not go for the front? Oh man, that lift was absolutely TERRIFYING. tje view didn't help either. Nor the 80 degree drop. That was probably the most i've ever cussed on a lift hill. That's for sure. TTD my 1 time was freaky too. We went for the back of that one, and I was terrified of rolling back.

Deja Vu scared me after the first hill, because of the amazing air I got in the back. I was so surprised. Plus, all vekoma's scare me. Space Mountain freaked me out too. i kept thinki9ng a beam would fall and cut off my head,lol.

Oh, and when I was 4, my family went to BGW, and I went on BBW, and loved it. But when we went to the dragon land thing, I refused point blank to go on that tiny flume thing, though i would've had no problem with escape from pompeii.

All drop towers scare me, except the space shot side of the CP one. Talk about a lame launch. Maliboomer kicks its ass. The intamin drop tower at SFGAm. scared me, as well as the big shot fair drop rides. Those are surprisingly high when on them, and the drop is great, and unexpected.

Thats basically it

Oh, and perilous plunge, cause i couldn't breath on the drop

Oblivion really did freak me out the first time I went on it. Mainly because I was at the edge of the train and the hole is Very small that you go through.

It's not a ride but.. Lost Dinosaurs of the Sahara is a boat ride at Southport Pleasure Land. And in our big group the boat kept on rocking side to side and it so nearly came close to capsizing at times! It was pulling one side of the bat completely out of the water.. We later found out it was someone at the back of the boat rocking it! Dam southern rowing people!

I'm not really scared to death on rides. Although the Big One at the back did take my breath away over the drop. Sitting at the back left really hurts..

• 3 months later...
Although the Big One at the back did take my breath away over the drop. Sitting at the back left really hurts..
Exactly where I was "sitting" when I had my only real coaster scare.

I honestly thought I was out of the train for a second. The combination of the neg and lateral G's in that one seat as you simultaneously accelerate over the lift hill and twist 90 degrees to the right have to be experienced to be believed.

Of course I rode there again for confirmation...

The first time I was on TTD, my glasses nearly flew out of my pocket. That scared the crap out of me.

But uh the ride didn't.

Edit: And uh, does anyone know why my sig won't show up?

I put a 300x106 picture in it, and one line of text.. but it won't show up.

What's up with that? I'm sad

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with TTD as well. Were there for 5 days and it was closed for the first four. On our last day it opened and since we were staying at the Breakers Resort we got in early. Yeah, ummm... my first ride on TTD was the scariest damn thing I've ever done. We got first train, front row (after it had been broken down for 5 days), and after all the tests had been nothing but roll-backs. Ummmm, yeah... they rolled us out there and those first few moments where you're waiting for the stoplight to go... Shall I reinact those moments for you?

"(yellow light)... oh my god..... (yellow light).... crap...... (yellow light) ..... damnit..... (green light) OOOoooohhhhh SHHHHHH........"

I'm going with dragster also.

My first ride was the only ride I'd been on that year, so I hadn't really "readied" myself for something like that. The scarry parts on a first ride are when you are in the 2nd train and you see the lights go and then you get the feeling that your train is going to launch (if you're watching the lights), then the part where they just sit you there while the catchcar creeps under the train painfully slowly, at this point it is really cool to look through the seats(see my avatar), then right as the hook drops you really freak out and the next five seconds seem like 20, then when you see the first yellow lights, your face gets all hot and you take a big deep breath because if you don't you wont be able to breathe during the launch, then everything just goes blank and somehow you are going 120 MPH and shoothing straight up, then the twists are just frikin' awesome.

That's the Dragster experience for a lifetime!

Like many people that have replied, Top Thrill Dragster scared the bejeezus out of me. I was on the second train and I saw the first one get shot out and I was thinking "OK...gonna die". When we were waiting in the launch area, it felt like forever just looking at the stoplights, waiting...just waiting for that green light to go. I had never been so nervous on a ride in my entire life.

when I was riding S:ROS at SFA in the first helix I was leaning out in the direction of the bank and right as we were exiting the helix I came about 2 inches from being decapated :shock: (anyone who's been on it knows how close the supports are) and when I was on American Eagle (backwards) in the helix I was trying to get handslaps and at the exit of the helix there is a wall right in the middle of the two tracks, well obviously we were going backwards and I forgot this wall was there...I heard a loud "SLAM!!!!!!!" and a few seconds later I felt the most intense pain I've ever experienced...Intamin loves me.

I live in Northern Cali, about 15 minutes from PGA. I went to the park, rode a lot of the rides just fine, and then I landed myself in front of grizzly. I looked up and watched the train fly by, and then as it passed, the structure would literally shake back and forth a couple feet. My parents reassured me it was fine and the reason it does that is to give it flexibility, so it won't snap. I rode it, and it was the worst experience of my life, I walked off the ride holding my back. I was so scared riding it that one single beam would break and the whole ride would come crashing down while I was on it. I told myself I'd never ride it, and sure enough, today I am 5 years Grizzly-free.