TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most. OverRated. Ride. of 2012.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robb, is there any way you or the starter of this thread or a moderator could implement a poll in this thread, or is it just impossible once a thread has been starting

I think it would be a bit impossible (is not silly) to do it after this thread has already gotten so many replies. And really, a poll about rides that haven't opened yet is kind of pointless, especially when there are so many options.

I think I'd be looking forward to SkyRush more if the simulation was a better quality. Once it's built and there's some testing footage I'm sure I'll be more excited for it, and hopefully will make it down for a ride. And that's one of the reasons I'm so excited for Leviathan, it's a gorgeous ride, and I know I'll get to try it out on most likely a few occasions next year.

For overrated, I'll say Verbolten. It looks like it'll be "fun" (which is all I ask of a coaster), but not anything too crazy. And I realize it's not being marketed as that. But still. Even knowing Cheetah Hunt was meant as more a family coaster, I was still surprised by how tame it was.

Honestly, the line up Great Adventure has coming just seems so boring to me. I have a feeling everyone will want to ride Sky Screamer, so the line will be huge, and it doesn't seem that fun. Just a smaller, crappier version of Cedar Fair's Windseeker. Plus they have Flying Elephants? I just wish if they wanted to put flat rides in this season, they should have been something new and amazing.

Levi.

CW already has Behemoth so this won't be all that different. Not bashing B&M as I like them all for the most part, but them putting this coaster in THIS park just seemed to be a very odd decision by CF.

I think it would have been much cooler to see this coaster built somewhere else like Michigan's Adventure. CW needs a good Intamin coaster to add to their line-up & not another B&M sit-down out and back type of coaster.

This just seems silly and yes, definitely over-rated.

^I have to admit that when track parts started to appear at the park, and seeing it was no dive machine gauge, I really expected (hoped ?) to see the park adding a Kumba / Khan killer. In this case, what I still find an attracting project despite being in an obvious minority WOULD have been the "if you can only ride one this year, this is the one" coaster. If I'm not mistaken, all of their loopers are not that impressive, and this would have been the real deal imo

One thing that I am not really sure of is how B&M's number of customers has stayed the same from the late 90's, pretty much until now. In fact, 1999 and 2000 were two of B&M's busiest years, and they decided to go forceless the very next year. What I find to be even more head scratching is that B&M had handled requests for less intense coasters before (SFDK, Hersheypark), but they just abruptly made these two coasters the base for pretty much their entire lineup.

If I had an unlimited amount of money, I would build a park containing B&M designed the way B&M used to design all coasters.

^ this sums it up... I think if someone asked them to build something more intense, I don't see them refusing, as long as they get paid. I still believe Werner Stangel involvement or not, plays a role in the forces generated by a coaster. And we all know he doesn't collaborate with B&M anymore... which I agree is a shame

^^^ I think Levi will be a decent ride, no doubt...but it just seems overrated for that extra 100 feet to put it in the giga category when I don't think it's going to be much different of a ride than Behemoth. Big drop, floaty air hills, a helix or two, more floaty bunny hills, brake run, done.

As stated, it just seems silly that a park would have two similar coasters. Everyone was saying it would have been silly to add a B&M flyer when they already had Time Warp, silly to add a B&M invert when they already had Flight Deck...and it seems just as silly to add another (slightly larger) sit-down B&M.

In my opinion, a B&M wingrider would have made the most sense because the park has nothing like that...or of course, an Intamin Mega-Lite!

I would have to say the whole "wing rider" concept, regardless of the specific coaster or manufacturer. Having ridden the original X when it opened, this idea of sitting off to the sides of the track just doesn't seem that novel or ground-breaking to me. It's IMO rather like an update or upgrade on an older idea, like bringing back the hula-hoop or something. I really liked X, so I think that the likes of Skyrush will be a lot of fun (even without the tumbling and spinning), but still it seems like there is a lot of hype for something that, in principal, has been done before.

As for Verbolten, I really wasn't very happy at all when I first heard about it. But then I got to thinking about it, and it honestly isn't that different, stat-wise, from that which was there before it. At least the park isn't hyping it as some kind of major thrill ride; though I suppose perhaps the GP might be expecting more, not knowing much about coasters and coaster manufacturers. It isn't really over-rated if you see it for what it is, or rather, what it will most likely be. Zierer is, IMO, the Buick of coaster manufacturers, so if you are looking for something extremely thrilling, you probably aren't going to shop around at a Buick dealership, or, likewise, expect a knock-your-socks-off ride from a company that is known for family coasters (at least in so far as every existing coaster and known project goes). I may get down to BGE next spring, and if I do I will be expecting something that is a rough cross between an indoor heavily themed wild mouse and something rather like Jaguar! at KBF (and perhaps a bit of the Mummy at Universal). That way I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.

2. Skyrush: As we all should know ,this is frontrunner for best coaster built in 2012 and most likely to land in top ten lists. I'm sure it will be loved by anyone who loves Intamins and it will probably rank really high. The problem: It doesn't look like an improvement from SROS, Ex. G Force, T-Express, or El Toro.

Why does it need to be an "improvement?" When there are so few rides of this caliber to begin with, isn't just having another one sufficient?

Talk to anyone who's been on a Mega-Lite, and ask them if they wouldn't mind if it became the next "Batman", getting cloned all over the world, and I'm sure they'll say they wouldn't mind at all.

I would MUCH rather ride a B&M Batman clone that ANY of the B&Ms that have been built since 2004.

If a Mega-Lite were built in the USA, and many of you finally got to experience one, I think it would be on the top of most people's best coaster lists.

So going back to the original statement, even if SkyRush turned out to be not quite as good as i305, SROS, or even a Mega-Lite, I still think that means it could end up being one of the top 10 coasters in the world, and I don't see anything else being built this year making that claim.

--Robb

This won't be on topic, but...

I did get the opportunity to ride Kawasemi on a warm summer day back in August, and I kind of thought it was a let down. Yes, it does have THE MOST powerful and awesome airtime of any ride I've ever been on (easily), but besides that: It's a pretty short ride, it's not that fast and not that tall (I really do value these two aspects highly), and (minor criticism) the last curve is out-of-place in it's lameness. And because of my ride standards, I didn't think it was in my top ten. It does airtime but nothing else. The ultra-awesome launch on Dragster and the incredible view from the top make me happier than that airtime. The total ride package on Walibi Goliath does it even better.

I think a Mega-lite would be a much better clone than a lot of other rides, but it also doesn't feature any "ests" for the park to advertise and it is also quite expensive. So I don't see there being a lot of them in the US, maybe none...as we've seen.

Just wondering how anyone can think a ride is over rated befor it even opens?

I completely agree, but I'm the kind of fan that takes every coaster for it's value. I don't make a top 10 list, because I believe most coasters are amazing for what they are. (Call me a coaster hippy if you will). Granted, the rides aren't open yet, but based on layouts, themes, and marketing ploys; I definitely think there are some over-rated ones.

While I really want to ride it, becasue it looks mamoth (dare I use Behemoth), but I think Leviathon looks to be the most over-rated ride. I just don't think it's going to have the (umph) that the park wants. That could change.

I think that B&M are in a funk right now, and in the past couple years haven't released anything game changing. They're sliding into Vekoma boring-ness.

I'm not trying to spark up that debate again, because I LOVE me some B&M, but they peaked years ago. I am very curious though to see how the wing-riders actually ride. New B&M's are very smooth, so if done right, hopefully those outside seats won't be AS bad as the others out there, but I won't put money on it. In terms of the layout for the wing-riders, the three coming out just seem like B&M are playing it safe with their new venture.

I would have to say the whole "wing rider" concept, regardless of the specific coaster or manufacturer. Having ridden the original X when it opened, this idea of sitting off to the sides of the track just doesn't seem that novel or ground-breaking to me. It's IMO rather like an update or upgrade on an older idea, like bringing back the hula-hoop or something. I really liked X, so I think that the likes of Skyrush will be a lot of fun (even without the tumbling and spinning), but still it seems like there is a lot of hype for something that, in principal, has been done before.

As for Verbolten, I really wasn't very happy at all when I first heard about it. But then I got to thinking about it, and it honestly isn't that different, stat-wise, from that which was there before it. At least the park isn't hyping it as some kind of major thrill ride; though I suppose perhaps the GP might be expecting more, not knowing much about coasters and coaster manufacturers. It isn't really over-rated if you see it for what it is, or rather, what it will most likely be. Zierer is, IMO, the Buick of coaster manufacturers, so if you are looking for something extremely thrilling, you probably aren't going to shop around at a Buick dealership, or, likewise, expect a knock-your-socks-off ride from a company that is known for family coasters (at least in so far as every existing coaster and known project goes). I may get down to BGE next spring, and if I do I will be expecting something that is a rough cross between an indoor heavily themed wild mouse and something rather like Jaguar! at KBF (and perhaps a bit of the Mummy at Universal). That way I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.

Verbolten is a family coaster isn't it.

But I would say Leviathon simply because it's just another B&M hyper coaster but 300ft. It's not that I don't think it looks great, it's just that it will probably be another MF.

• 3 weeks later...

DiVertical at Mirabilandia. Its just a big flume ride with a bland coaster section.

Also, I think skyrush will be great. I dont know why people are dissing it. Other than maybe ROS at Darien Lake and SFA, I havent seen one Intamin Hyper/Junior Hyper/Giga that hasnt been great. What makes Skyrush less fantastic than, say, Bizarro, I305 and Expedition Geforce?

Simply because it looks like several different mediocre coasters thrown together under the guise of an expensive price tag: Verbolten. Looks like Italian Job and Cheetah Hunt sans one lame barrel roll. I know the drop element is Alton's 13, but I've never been, so I can't really compare.

Just wondering how anyone can think a ride is over rated befor it even opens?

Exactly. I don't understand this entire thread. ^^^Nobody knows a single thing about DiVertical's coaster section, how can you say it has a lame one? ^^Verbolten has an expensive price tag because it's easily going to be one of the most heavily themed coasters to hit the States in years. And ^Goliath is a used GIB, it hardly counts as a "new ride for 2012."

You can't overrate a ride that was never ridden and rated...

Simply because it looks like several different mediocre coasters thrown together under the guise of an expensive price tag: Verbolten. Looks like Italian Job and Cheetah Hunt sans one lame barrel roll. I know the drop element is Alton's 13, but I've never been, so I can't really compare.

I disagree. Cheetah Hunt, to me, is hardly "mediocre." It's an excellent family coaster that I enjoyed very much back in October. While I agree that Italian Job is a mediocre ride, you're forgetting one point . . .

Busch > Paramount/Cedar Fair.

So, I'm looking forward to Verbolten.