TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most. OverRated. Ride. of 2012.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of get the whole "B&M got predictable" thing, but actually - some of their very recent installations have shown a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Asterix's Invert and Sky Scrapper (the flying coaster) for example both have fairly special layouts and don't continue that tick box routine we have come to associate of B&M.

But, in truth, we all know why parks buy B&M. They are reliable, operate well and make very comfortable trains. This cannot be said for all Intamin coasters etc.

As for next year, it's a brilliant year. I don't think Europe has ever had a better year, at least not recently. I can't really pick which one is least appealing, but i'll force myself to say: Skyrush. A lack of theming and experience instantly loses a ride brownie points, I am a bit of a sucker for theming!

This Verbolten disliking continually reminds me of how many people whined before AND after HRRR opened. Not sure why people dislike it, because that thing has some really great and forceful move and some fantastic pops of airtime.

I'm going to update my list a bit: Keep in mind I'm still looking forward to these, I just think people are going a little crazy over some...

Wild Eagel: Besides the view, the ride itself looks very tame and rather short.

7 Dwarves Mine Train: The rocking just seems really gimicky...

Ones I'm Iffy On:

Carsland: I think people are going to expect a little too much from Radiator Springs Racer, and will endlessly compare it with both Journey to the Center of the Earth and Test Track

Superman SFDK: The ride itself looks stellar, but the capacity looks obscene...

Wild Eagle

We'll see how it turns out, I know the location is going to be beautiful and all, but i think Wild Eagle will be a really big forceless floating smooth fun coaster, but not thrilling at all.

Not that it won't be a good coaster, I'm sure it will be perfect for Dollywood, but I got a feeling that when 2012 is over everyone will be raving about Verbolten, Skyrush, and my dark horse contender Manta, but not Wild Eagle.

I kind of feel that Skyrush is a little over hyped. Don't get me wrong, I really want to ride this because it does look fun and it's an intamin, but I feel they could have done more. I think Leviathan is getting the right amount of hype. It's a slightly different direction for B&M in my opinion. Yes I think they are tacking an extra height for more appeal, but they are also trying to concentrate on speed and less hills, which is much different for them. I have a lot of hope for both and cannot wait to ride them, but I think overall Skyrush is the most over hyped...

Leviathan. It's not going to be amazing, it's not going to be an "airtime machine" (B&M DOES NOT MAKE THESE), it's not going to be any different than the other coaster at the front of the park THAT IS EXACTLY LIKE IT, except taller. I still find this a mind-boggling decision to even install this ride where it is. Easily the most overhyped and overrated attraction of 2012.

dt

Call me crazy, but I actually do have hope for Leviathan.

You know everyone still goes ga-ga over Millennium Force? That ride actually has just as much, if not less, airtime than most B&M hypers. It was the sensation of speed that everyone seems to love.

Leviathan appears that it will be like Millennium Force, just with more 'floaty' moments.

Currently, the only 'top ten' rides B&M currently makes are their flyers. Let's face it: nearly everyone loves Tatsu. It is forceless in all parts other than the pretzel loop, but the sensation of flying high in the air just made everyone love it. Many agreed that Manta was just as good.

^ Actually, the B&M at Asterix is the only B&M I'm even remotely excited about... "remotely" being a key word there....

--Robb "New age B&Ms make me tired..." Alvey

What's wrong with Diamondback? That is a top notch stellar ride

Sure, if you think a boring, repetitive, cookie cutter, and forceless ride = "top notch."

Tell ya what, you go ride Expedition G-Force, Walibi's Goliath, T Express, Balder, Kawasemi, Colossos, and El Toro, and then come back and tell me how top notch Diamondback is, ok?

Edited by robbalvey

^Word. B&M hasn't come close to anything remotely like the coasters you just listed in YEARS. Why everyone thinks that suddenly they re-discovered the "forces" button in their design software is beyond me.

And the Earth will explode if Flying Turns opens next year. Or in the next decade...

dt

I'm by NO MEANS saying Leviathan is going to change the world and I'm definitely not a B&M fanboy, but higher drop+ larger parabolic curves means a lot of air time... B&M is always the company that plays it safe and with the advancement of CAD design they seem to play it even SAFER, but this ride will be chock full of floater airtime. That's, just science.......

How about this.. Only two coasters exist in the world- Verbolten and Leviathan. Which one are you riding?

Chris "just playing devils advocate as always " Connolly

Chris "prefers ejector air anyways" Connolly

Diamondback is great for Kings Island: it has a huge capacity, it's a huge signature ride, it's reliable and rerideable, and it's a huge hit with anyone who hasn't been on a ton of similar coasters.

I feel like Leviathan is going to be the same thing... except that's not what Canada's Wonderland needs, because they already have that. I feel like the B&M mega coasters get worse the bigger they get. Personally, my two favorite B&M mega coasters are SFOG's Goliath and Hollywood Dream... after that, they just get... big, forceless, trimmed down, and bland. And it's probably gonna be the same thing with Leviathan.

And honestly... the more construction I see of Verbolten, the more I think "hey, this could actually be a pretty cool ride". The more I see of Leviathan, I go... meh...

I just want B&M to start making Kumba and Nemesis clones...Then I'll be excited for their projects!!

^^Yeah, I have a modicum of hope for Leviathan. I know it's not going to be nearly as good as Expedition GeForce, but it just might be worth the drive to Toronto for me. I actually preferred the Carowinds Intimidator over i305, which was just too much for me. Call me a girl, I don't enjoy graying out like that.

I expect Leviathan to be my favorite 300 foot coaster. Though probably not in my top 10 either.

I do agree that old school B&Ms do crap all over the new ones. I wish they'd make 200 more Katuns.

As for B&M playing it safe now and not innovating as they have in the past, I expect for this to continue until their orders start to fall off.

Edited by ginzo

I can see why people are saying Wild Eagle because of the cookie cutter elements that are involved with its layout. It is my most anticipated coaster for the obvious reason that is is a brand new coaster at my local park. Add to that, I'm an interested in experiencing how these wing riders will ride especially one on top of a freakin mountain!

I guess for the sake of answering the question I will say Leviathan is the most overhyped. They could of done so much more to differentiate this ride from what they have done in the past. Not to say if I got the chance the ride I wouldn't jump at the opportunity.

^I think both posts above are a lot more balanced... I agree with Eric on the fact proximity / distance play a huge role in interest (call that hype). That's probably why I'm most definitely looking at rides opening closer to my area. Incidentally they're B&M's (Asterix / Port Aventura) but I'd be as excited if Turbine finally opened again (won't happen till 2013)

Another thing about B&M's is how they are not only cookie-cutter, but also tend to develop a rattle. My ride on Diamondback was in row 2, and that was literally one of the worst roller coaster rides I have ever had. I should never have put my head against the headrest. The rattle gave me a headache, ans was about on par with Kingda Ka's rattle. The philosophy of making great looking rides that are forceless really seems odd to me; if you put a forceless B&M next to an old B&M of the same height, I believe they would generate the same revenue back overall. Plus, the second would have the small added bonus of coaster enthusiasts. The general public don't really care if G forces are strong of weak, unless they are talking about Goliath of I305. I do know someone who has gotten sick on Medusa West, one of B&M's most forceless rides. Do you really think anyone gets off an old B&M and says, "gee, I really wouldn't get sick on that if the G-forces weren't as strong"?

B&M really needs to offer requests of more or less intense rides. Instead, they just go with less intense for everything.

The funny thing about B&M's it seems is how they seem to appeal to people over time. Most of the more experienced coaster enthusiasts I know tend to find them boring and forceless, while newer enthusiasts tend to think of them more highly. But I honestly am surprised at how much some enthusiasts seem to put them down. I get that it's a matter of opinion, and that, having ridden assuredly more intense and interesting rides (usually Intamin), they probably are nothing by comparison, but there's no denying that they're better than a lot of other coasters out there. I've never managed to actually be bored by a ride (sans Millenium Force) and I'm surprised that B&M's will do that to people.

But hey, what do I know, I'm a stupid kid from Vegas whose favorite respective coasters are built by Arrow and GCI and who grays out on Silver Bullet and SFMM's Goliath.

^ Actually, the B&M at Asterix is the only B&M I'm even remotely excited about... "remotely" being a key word there....

--Robb "New age B&Ms make me tired..." Alvey

What's wrong with Diamondback? That is a top notch stellar ride

Sure, if you think a boring, repetitive, cookie cutter, and forceless ride = "top notch."

Tell ya what, you go ride Expedition G-Force, Walibi's Goliath, T Express, Balder, Kawasemi, Colossos, and El Toro, and then come back and tell me how top notch Diamondback is, ok?

That is like comparing apples and oranges. Diamondback is all about relaxing floater air, as opposed to violent ejector air (which I enjoy equally). It feels like you are flying smoothly on Diamondback and I enjoy that. I like the B&M Hyper Genre.

Manta was a huge disappointment to me. I guess I'm just waiting for seaworld to get a thrilling coaster.

Really? I was actually the opposite, I was really happy to here about this ride and the theming looks great. Also, the launches look quite fun and from the animation it looks like there will be some great airtime on some of those hills. But the super sexy Mack trains are what really got me!