TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most. OverRated. Ride. of 2012.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excluding relocations, although I don't think any of the major coaster installations for 2012 look bad, I certainly think X-Flight looks like it is the most overrated. Although the wing trains may make it a bit interesting, it really doesn't look like that great of a layout in the first place. Wild Eagle could be in a similar vein, but I think that looks like a fun ride regardless and the setting definitely is more interesting.

I think the location will be Wild Eagle's saving grace.

Honestly for me (for the ones I actually care about), the least exciting one to me is Hershey's... I mean it looks fun and all, but I much look more forward to the other rides (Leviathan, Wild Eagle & X-Flight). I am sure I will enjoy them all though. I don't really like to judge before I ride, it's kind of silly.

Everyone bitched up a shitfit when Big Bad Wolf was removed, and guess what? Big Bad Wolf was a family coaster that went 45MPH. And what are they replacing it with? Another family coaster!

OMG GIV ME MOAR BBW PLZ!!!!1!1

Verbolten is actually one of the rides I'm most looking forward to, even more so because I can actually go ride it without going halfway across the country.

Anyway, if I absolutely had to pick one, I'd say Superman Ultimate Flight.

I'll never stop making fun of Leviathan's brake run though.

Most Overrated

Lex Luthor Drop of Doom- Im just not impressed with this ride at all. Im not a huge fan of drop rides to begin with, but i feel like they havent done anything new with it. This ride is too similar to the drop tower on Tower of Terror II.

Stinger and Apocalypse dont really count in my mind, they arent new rides.

Rides I question the hate for

Verbolten- Honestly I dont understand the hate for this ride. Its not super intense, but it looks amazing at what it does. Ill admit the first time I saw Cheetah Hunt I was unimpressed. Over time the idea grew on me and im willing to admit from what ive seen its probably a good ride. The thing is Verbolten looks even better. The ride seems to do a great job with the terrain, which is one of the things that I love on coasters. The building that it dives into looks absolutely amazing. It may not be fast, but it looks like it will be exciting.

Leviathan- I think that this could be a great ride. I like B&M hypers personally. From my limited experience, Diamondback at KI, i find these rides very fast and very smooth. I have a hard time believing that this ride wont be an amazing ride.

I don't understand all the hatred for Verbolten?

I mean, it's not like they're acting like Alton Towers telling you how the ride will kill you and eat your soul. It seems like an awesome replacement to an awesome ride. It's also completely new and interesting looking. Can't really say that about the vast majority of 2012 B&Ms.

Family coasters certainly have their place in theme parks. A good theme park has a selection of rides for everyone. This is why Verbolten is a great choice for BGW as it rounds out their coaster line up with something a little more "family friendly".. That being said, I expect the enthusiast community to be disappointed with "mine train in box + drop" compared to the derivative (but 50 percent taller for our pleasure) Leviathan. For the record. Skyrush is still my number 1 next year followed by Wild Seagull.

Overrated? I honestly don't think there's a major ride this year that's getting hype it doesn't deserve. They all look like pretty solid installations, and the rides that don't deserve any mention...aren't really being talked about.

If there had to be a candidate, I'd have to (unfortunately, since it's my most looked-forward-to ride next year) say Leviathan, since it seems like some people are hailing it as the second coming of B&M, when in reality what it probably will be is just a big, fast, fun coaster as opposed to something built for the sole purpose of ripping your face off. A second Millenium of sorts. And I'm totally down with that.

Now that I looked back on the topic I would have to say that I feel Leviathan is the ride I feel is most overrated. Mainly its just a B&M mega with a bigger first hill and a layout that doesn't look all that impressive. Of course I have been on rides that I thought I wouldn't care for but ended up liking. And rides that I thought I would love but didn't really care for.

And in regards to my early post. I wasn't referring that I don't care for Verboten. I just feel that won't like it as much I hope I will (I should have thought about the topic more). It is afterall the roller coaster that I am most excited for next year. Like how this pass year I was really excited for Little Mermaid but then I found to it to be a disappointment when I rode it.

Edited by gforce532

Just as I cannot the "hatred" against Verbolten, I can also not understand the (let's choose our words carefully, and please keep in mind I'm writing in a foreign language right now, be indulgent before you throw stones at me/ delete my post) amount of criticism about the incredible (yep, I said it, and I'm not even ashamed of being in love with B&M) Leviathan either. I have always wanted to be out of this stupid battle the fans have launched between both Swiss manufacturers. Why am I mentionning this ? Just because I think it has become "fashionable" to "almost flame" B&M in favour of the wonderful Intamin goodness... which I appreciate AS MUCH as other enthusiasts, but which I appreciate as much as B&M goodness too. I think Robb was really right saying all coasters don't have to be the next TTD or KK... just the same for new tall coasters (be they hyper or giga)... they do NOT all have to be the next Bizarro (which incidentally I found poor, and utterly overrated, but don't kill me yet...it's just PERSONAL opinion) Some will prefer ejector, some will prefer floater, some will prefer loops, some will prefer roughness...Another thing about B&M and their "forcelessness"... I DO agree some of the most recent I have ridden were just "meh" Patriot, Hydra, ... could go on a lot with B&M's that did NOT impress me. It's not a bad coaster manufacturer though: I really think they build what their customers want them to build. Ride Khan, Kumba, Nemesis, Batman the Ride among others... they can't be considered lame, I think.

I'm aware I will definitely appear as someone who wants to defend a tribe... then this may surprise you: I WANTED Port Aventura's new coaster to be an Intamin (Goliath and Expedition Geforce are my favourite non looping coasters... WAY above Nitro, Appollo's Charriot, Silverstar... So am I biased ? I honestly do not think so... I just think B&M's are best at some stuff (I guess everyone knows what my favourite coaster / looper is, by now), just as Intamin are the best at other stuff. They compliment each other nicely imho. Back on topic: I would love to ride Verbolten too, even if it's more family oriented (I got 2 kids and enjoy anything, now) and I am curious to see bigger badder Zierer coasters being built, but this wouldn' make me cross the Atlantic, whereas Levi WOULD (and definitely WILL in the future) I wonder how many of those people "unimpressed with overrated Leviathan" will flock to the park for the Bash which is more than likely to be organized on Leviathon tour... a bit paradoxical, isn't it ?

PS: you'll notice I criticise NO manufacturer, and criticise no fan of either company... just expressing a point of view about the topic. I also thought a ride could be (over/under) rated after it had been ridden... Overhyped, that's something else. Don't forget the appearance of a coaster has NOTHING to do with how it rides... that's how Mean Streak < Blue Streak, Nemesis > Alpengeist, Dutch Goliath > Bizarro (I hear teeth grinding already, but keep in mind it's my dorky opinion only) No one can tell if Levi will be lame/tame or if will turn out better than you thought

Just as I cannot the "hatred" against Verbolten, I can also not understand the (let's choose our words carefully, and please keep in mind I'm writing in a foreign language right now, be indulgent before you throw stones at me/ delete my post) amount of criticism about the incredible (yep, I said it, and I'm not even ashamed of being in love with B&M) Leviathan either.

I haven't been on a B&M that was built after, let's say 2004 that wasn't boring as f**k. Sure, I know people love them, whatever. They are boring to me. Seriously, absolutely uninteresting, not thrilling at all, completely and totally boring. In fact, riding Intimidator, Diamondback, and LaRonde's Goliath, I thought I was going to fall asleep. I found myself actually thinking about other things while on the course of the ride.

There will be plenty of fanboys, yourself included, who will love Leviathan and think it's the next coming of Christ. That's fine. I'm happy that you guys exist, and I'm very happy to take a tour group to the ride. It should be a fun day filled with awesomeness. But the ride itself looks like B&Ms answer to Steel Dragon 2000.

And there were plenty of people on our Japan trip who loved that coaster...I just happened to not be one of them.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Excluding relocated coasters, I would have to go with Leviathan. While I am happy to see B&M trying something new with a giga coaster, it looks fun, but not amazing. It looks too short and too similar to the other B&M Hypers, including Behemoth which is in the same park. But who knows. I haven't ridden it yet. And maybe it'll really surprise me when I get back to Canada's Wonderland.

I absolutely got your point, Robb. I mean, I included could be disappointed by Leviathan if I had the opportunity to ride it, but this could as well be considered as B&M's answer to Millennium Force too ! (playing the 's advocate here, admittedly, though not in love with this coaster, nightrides are sooo much fun) Really Robb, I think you know me enough to know I'm quite peaceful (lol) and not into "conflicts"... Moreover I am quite in agreement with the general opinion on the lack of forces of more recent Beemers... general in the meaning there have been exception,s and there probably will be again in the future.( if those happen to be the Inverter at Asterix and Shambhala, I'm more than content, they're closer ) Now, it may be interesting to see, independant of the manufacturer, if the involvement of Werner Stengel is not more of a criterion as to which ride is boring or not... which seem to coincide with the date you mentionned about B&M's recent boredom... opinion that I respect, of course (even if not shared... Black Mamba is quite recent and even if not extreme, I wouldn't say it's boring...)

^ I found Black Mamba to be VERY boring. What a forceless snoozer. Ok, sure, it had an "ok" helix, but really? Meh. Give me a coaster where the ENTIRE ride packs a punch...

I mean, give me Kumba, Montu, Batman, Ice, Fire, Pyrenees, Katun, Nemesis, Raptor, Top Gun, and Dragon Khan anyday.... but the round of B&Ms in the past 10 years? It's like, they *look* like they should be "OMFG Blow me away!" coasters...but really, they're just tame and un-interesting.

^ Actually, the B&M at Asterix is the only B&M I'm even remotely excited about... "remotely" being a key word there....

--Robb "New age B&Ms make me tired..." Alvey

What's wrong with Diamondback? That is a top notch stellar ride.

And as far as BGW, wouldn't a GCI be a great family addition instead?

Edited by djw44

^ I found Black Mamba to be VERY boring. What a forceless snoozer. Ok, sure, it had an "ok" helix, but really? Meh. Give me a coaster where the ENTIRE ride packs a punch...

I mean, give me Kumba, Montu, Batman, Ice, Fire, Pyrenees, Katun, Nemesis, Raptor, Top Gun, and Dragon Khan anyday.... but the round of B&Ms in the past 10 years? It's like, they *look* like they should be "OMFG Blow me away!" coasters...but really, they're just tame and un-interesting.

This is something I've found comparing say, Geist Almighty to the recent round of B&Ms- It's like they have decided to eliminate some of the reason B&M coasters were great in the first place: FORCE.

Schwarzkopf's coasters, no matter when they were created, had FORCE in them- right up to the last handful built. B&M, however, has erased the force out, and started to trim-up the wazoo with their coasters. They have lost the spirit that makes them thrilling to me. Don't get me wrong, fun and full of laughs and smiles. But nothing like the when you would get a good-for-you dose of 4.5gs or more, or a nice snap into and out of elements making it thrilling.

Sadly, I'm going to vote Leviathan into this mix. I'm actually more inspired and excited by a 200 foot Intamin coaster over a 305 foot B&M coaster. Why? The B&M will be fast and fun. And FORCELESS.

The newest B&M I've been on is SheiKra (unless SFGAdv. Green Lantern counts?) so I haven't been on any of these "new and boring B&Ms" so I really can't judge the Wing-Riders or Leviathan/Shambhala (This probably explains why I am a B&M fanboy). Though I do think Levi is a bit overrated by the GP's responses to CW's updates.

I think Verbolten is my biggest interest for 2012 simply because of how unique it appears. From SkycoastinSteve's update, it looked like it interacted with its surroundings more than Wild Eagle has been said to do, which supposedly makes Wild Eagle rather overrated too. And knowing how much I adore Cheetah Hunt and its little pops of airtime, I'm sure this coaster won't disappoint either

Skyrush also seems overrated by this site simply because it's an Intamin. BUT I can't really judge this one since I'm not experienced with the company's airtime abilities.