TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[NL] Coral Snake

I'm sure most of us are aware that our favorite ride manufacturers design layouts based on what parks want in a coaster in an attempt to get a sale. This makes each manufacturer's individual style of design very recognizable to us as coaster enthusiasts. So much so, that we love most if not all rides made by a manufacturer because they all have the same design style.

The big question is - what if the manufacturer only provided the track and train system, and the park designed the actual layout of the ride?

The specific question is - what would happen if A.J. designed a B&M?

Please welcome the Coral Snake. More to come very soon.

lochness-111104160755000.thumb.jpg.1e2a311b63b3b8eea86fc7f68a24925e.jpg

lochness-111117190925000.thumb.jpg.8bd3f799a25bfd054b69e0ccd9e0022b.jpg

lochness-111129185352000.thumb.jpg.d35938cc8343e66a4c15ec328c2a4d98.jpg

lochness-111130143043000.thumb.jpg.b22682b0a5e292b0175c6c315319725e.jpg

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely looks well built. Hopefully it will have it's own style. If it's handbuilt, it probably will, but if it's Newton it might be a bit hard to make it original in shaping and feel. Looks great either way...love the colors and that roll. I also like the 9 car trains...changes it up.

I await the download!

See, here's the thing - I used Newton's disadvantage to my...advantage. Does that make sense?

I make rides in two distinct styles. My "compact" rides are just that, stuffing as much track into as little space as possible by any means necessary. My "large" rides (like this one and my mega coaster Frenzy) are designed exclusively with straights and curves, much like an electric slot car track.

With this style of design, hills are hills and turns are turns. The style is extremely clean and extremely simplistic (the designs I like most wherever I go are the clean, simple, organic designs).

lochness-111201150118000.thumb.jpg.ab2d0d3eb5d715c897a33494db3cb20b.jpg

The thing with mid-course brake runs is that they control a ride. Just when you think the first half of a ride is fantastic, you end up on a mid-course brake run that seems to slow it down to a screeching halt, and it ruins the rest. What happens if you want to design something that feels out of control all the time?

I designed this ride so the mid-course brake run does not affect what follows it. As such, there is no loss of speed on the mid-course brake section, and hard braking is only applied if an emergency stop is required.

If you've ridden a great deal of roller coasters, you would be riding this coaster and expect the brake run to slow the train - but it doesn't - and an OH SHI--- moment would inevitably occur afterward, especially in the back row of the train.

lochness-111201150224001.thumb.jpg.6ba31b53b2d9c8db80eaf5ad56699cd7.jpg

Edited by A.J.

I really love this coaster. Fantastic layout so far, the track looks incredibly smooth and the colors are perfect. I can't wait to ride this, I'm especially excited for the extreme airtime I am expecting to occur while exiting the mid course not so break run.

When it comes to roller coasters, there's really only one way you can go when you reach the top of a lift hill - and that's down. Usually, roller coasters are designed so that their largest drop happens directly after the lift hill, or with a small slow section in between.

When I designed this ride, I took a little bit of inspiration from Hersheypark's Great Bear. I designed the ride with an intense spiral directly after the lift, and followed it with its largest drop. It makes you focus on the spiral for that split second - "That's pretty intense" - and as soon as you come to grips with the spiral, you're already halfway down the largest drop.

lochness-111202102341000.thumb.jpg.92f46132fd84ed7ac400365466f861b1.jpg

The thing with mid-course brake runs is that they control a ride. Just when you think the first half of a ride is fantastic, you end up on a mid-course brake run that seems to slow it down to a screeching halt, and it ruins the rest. What happens if you want to design something that feels out of control all the time?

I designed this ride so the mid-course brake run does not affect what follows it. As such, there is no loss of speed on the mid-course brake section, and hard braking is only applied if an emergency stop is required.

If you've ridden a great deal of roller coasters, you would be riding this coaster and expect the brake run to slow the train - but it doesn't - and an OH SHI--- moment would inevitably occur afterward, especially in the back row of the train.

That's what I kinda despise about most steelies (minus Intamins of course) as they tend to crawl through the 2nd half of the ride & in general the 2nd half tends to be shorter than the track leading up to the MCBR....Intimidator @ Carowinds is a fine example of this.

Just remember that when you design with trimless MCBRs that you need to still make it work with a dead stop. That's the hardest part about MCBRs that do nothing in normal operation. I like designing coasters that way too, but with such a range of speed from the normal operation to the E-Stop version, your coaster may not make it to the end in an E-Stop situation. Watch out for this...any slower sections or pace breaks in your design may cause problem spots. And even if your train clears them with 5mph to spare or so, that still may not be good because a simple wind could stop it right then and there.

Just something to watch for...so far it looks good.

Oh, for sure. It's been emergency-stop-tested and tunnel-tested everywhere as well. The speed is about 20-or-so miles per hour upon entering the brake run, so it doesn't take a terrible amount of effort to stop it. The trigger is center car, near the beginning of the section, and it stops A-OK.

Release tomorrow.

lochness-111203223350000.thumb.jpg.1de0b02d22dd8298065e2185f9e8c4fc.jpg

Edited by A.J.

You got it! When I was in the early stages of this ride's development, it was supposed to be a replacement for BGW's Loch Ness monster, and it was going to feature interlocking loops. However, I didn't want to restrict myself to the terrain of the Rhine River or face comments such as "the height of that cliff is too high", so I went completely custom.

Remember that the track should be judged on its own merits, and not based upon other rides made by B&M.

2094578928_AJR-CoralSnake(Complete)-111204125118001.thumb.jpg.9d585d7add85a80889ee16c7801debb6.jpg

GAME EXCHANGE LINK

Feel free to download, ride, and RATE it!

NOLIMITS EXCHANGE LINK

If you have an account there, go ahead and RATE it!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Coral_Snake__On-_and_off-ride__Medium__bjwp[/coastertube]

Edited by A.J.

The track is now uploaded on the NoLimits Exchange. Feel free to download it there and rate at as well.

Thanks everyone for your support, I appreciate it. I'm just as proud of this ride as I was of Frenzy when I debuted it.

Awesome. Love the surprise in the second drop. They need to do that in real life. Diabolical and smooth on that element. I REALLY like this coaster. Great job. I downloaded here at TPR and couldn't get the file to open, so went to the other place and didn't have a problem, so you might look into that (now, it *may* be me, but you should look into it just in case so others can download here at the Exchange.) Peace, KC

• 3 weeks later...

Great ride, beautifully landscaped.

My only critisism though is that by adding the one inversion you must have the sitting coaster cars with OTSR's, which kinda kills the hypercoaster element. So to make it perfect, I'd either try to add a couple more inversions or remove the one inversion you have (preferably the first option as I love that barrel roll). One of the hills could make a good Zero G Roll.