TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pirate Ships/Swinging Ships

Hi, I was wondering something. Which park model of swinging ships do you like the best? Which do you think are the best overall? Are there any specific ones that are run better by the park that you could mention? Any very well themed ones?

I tend to skip them, to be honest. Something about the motion of them tends to get me.

Sorry if the mods find this topic pointless.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many Swinging Ship afficianados are out there. I never even notice the manufacturers. The one that I thought was run best was at Astroland. The ride operators at Astroland took pride in terrifying and nauseating riders.

Edited by larrygator

For me, I usually only ride pirate ships to kill time, or if it has a short line and on the way to my next attraction.

The best one I can remember was the swinging ship that used to be at Martin's Fantasy Island. When I rode it that thing was haulin'. Almost hanger air in the last rows.

The one in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is probably the best I've been on because it seems to go extremely high.

Also the fact it just barely (seems that way looking at certain angles) misses a beach house close to the ride is always fun.

I have found the Huss brand like Hershey's to have more of a "flat" or "level" set of seats, thus preventing the airtime so to speak. The version that Busch Gardens has is more of an arc in the seating, and when you are in the last row, you really get that falling out of your seat feeling. The carny model that DelGrosso's has is also good for that.

All photos courtesy TPR park index.....

PIRAT.JPG.2a8cefa63feac055a3a641a339acfd79.JPG

Hersheypark Pirat

1349254679_BuschGardens.jpg.ce0a2390554362bc0ec9737bed992408.jpg

Battering Ram BGW

DelGrosso.thumb.jpg.3c5bc09bc514c51d1774306b54846d59.jpg

DelGrosso's

• 2 weeks later...
The one in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is probably the best I've been on because it seems to go extremely high.

Also the fact it just barely (seems that way looking at certain angles) misses a beach house close to the ride is always fun.

I could not agree more.

^^I think Sea Dragon is the model name for the Chance version of swinging ships. Intamin's is the "Bounty". Total geek out here, I love my flats

You're right though, total originality in naming. Love the stand up one! Have to try one of those.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

This is one type of flat that makes me turn all sorts of shades of green. There's something about the motion that makes me quite ill. Oddly enough I can usually do falling stars and magic carpet style rides.

Is anyone else similarly affected?

I really enjoy the Rocket-themed one at SFOT, as it goes completely inverted, and just keeps you hanging there...

I had been told that it came from Astroworld, but I have no way to validate that as fact...

SFOT does have another ship-themed swinging ride, but I've never ridden it, simply cause it doesn't invert, and the rocket one does!

Not really a big fan of the looping variety. I can't stand the restraint systems and how tight they staple you in. It always seems that when it starts falling and you are in the backwards motion, the shoulder harness sucks in so much it hurts to breathe.