TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Thrill Dragster Down again?

From Screamscape:

Park News - (9/8/05) reports that Top Thrill Dragster has been closed indefinitely due to a maintenance problem after closing last Friday evening. At this point, the park does not know when or if it will reopen before the end of the season on October 30th.

Wow, parks really need to stop building rides bigger and taller!

--Robb

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Point is owned by Cedar Fair, and Six Flags Great Adventure is owned by Six Flags.

But with essentially the same bit of kit, and both seemingly as unreliable as each other, it doesn't surprise me too much. Although I had thought that TTD's problems were all but ironed out for a while.

Man that sucks. I'm in cleveland until octber 14th, and was going to hit up CP before I left. Already hit up Geauga lake (so that the others in my party could do the water park before it closed) and now it looks like TTD will be closed when I go visit CP. Oh well, maybe KK will be open before I go to SFGadv again when I get back home... Besides, what kind of coaster enthusiast doesnt make random road trips to ride coasters anyway? I'll just have to do it some other time...

Rob "Maybe they get it fixed faster than anticipated" Doughty

This is the firt major problem Dragtser has had in about 2 seasons now.

It was runnign really reliably.

AFAIK Ka is down as well.

Well, how reliable it's been running is a bit debatable. It has been running better than it was, but it's still no where near as reliable as a coaster should be. Almost every week there is at least one given day where the thing never opens. It also had a major breakdown this summer the lasted a week while they waited for the parts to get shipped in. Nevertheless, I'll hand it to you, it has been a bit more reliable than past years.

On a separate note, though I thoroughly enjoy the two giant rocket coasters, I really hope that isn't completely where this genre of coaster is headed. I really hope more parks start investing in these and making custom rides much like Superman Australia, Speed Coaster, Kanonen, and Storm Runner. I would love to see another massive looper like SR, while at the same time I'd love to see a full-sized hypercoaster that pretty much just has the lift hill replaced with a launch followed by a top hat.

ok, first of all having know ridden TTD i can now say it is DEFINETLY worth it. second this could be a big problem, i know everyone is mad because the ride will be closed but this could be really bad for the park. if they get a reputation for there biggest atraction being shut down they are going top lose business, and if they lose money they wont be able to build kick-ass $25000000 coasters. P.S. millenium force is the best coaster in the world, no matter what

Humm thats really too bad as last week when I was there TTD was running really well. I do remember that every time it would break down its because only one break fin only raised halfway, and it was always the same fin. I have some video of it so lll try to get some pics of it.

Colin C

If the ride can be reopened even for the last day of the year CP will do it, it being closed for the rest of the year is definitely not a forgone conclusion.

So true.. One night when I was there in August, the park didnt close until 10. Dragster was down pretty much all day. Then at like.. 8:45-9PM they got it running and were letting a lot of people in line. So I doubt Cedar Point is not using weekend only opearation as an excuse to forget about Dragster just so they dont have to worry about getting it running. That's not how you treat an investment of THAT size. I'm sure something decently major happened.

Eric

if they used LIMs over hydraulic launches it seems that would be a lot more reliable. it seems like they could just do that. but then again that is a lot more expensive...
No it would be impossible... You couldn't get that much energy out of a linear motor(at least I don't think you can consistently yet)... It would have to have a longer launch area... Seriously don't you guys think that the engineers there know what they are doing?

I'm sure they would have gone with something else if they could affordably do it but it just doesn't make sense when a ride already is running as much as TTD did. I mean I know the military is working on linear motors for launching airplanes off of carriers but if they don't have it working yet why should civilians?