TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2011 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

LoQ for iPhone seems kind of difficult to implement at SF parks with their loose item policy. If you 'check-in' at the gate via your iPhone for say, Tatsu, how do you then store the device in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo?

Just put it with the bunny stuffed with medicine And Goo!

Yes, that would work real well when you reach the person checking your Lo-Q device.

The correct answer is zippered pockets.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Thank you, Captain Obvious. Anybody who realizes that a phone in the pocket is a loose item that needs to be secured (especially on a flyer!) can perhaps provide more insight. Maybe the parks will have a drop off area for iPhones used to check in. I do not ride coasters with ANYTHING in my pockets anymore. It's a much more enjoyable experience.

Thanks for a reply with dignity, Larry, however zippered pockets are really not the norm for your typical park visitor. I still see this idea as fairly contradictory toward park policies.

The LoQ for phones is already being used at Lake Compounce. I used it last year and it was great. You buy credits for $1.00 each and each ride takes a certain number of credits, 1 - 3 depending on the ride and crowds that day. When I was there the coasters were 2 credits each, everything else was 1 credit. It was well worth $1.00 per person to skip a 30 minute line at Ghost Hunt and the Log Flume.

The LoQ for phones is already being used at Lake Compounce. I used it last year and it was great. You buy credits for $1.00 each and each ride takes a certain number of credits, 1 - 3 depending on the ride and crowds that day. When I was there the coasters were 2 credits each, everything else was 1 credit. It was well worth $1.00 per person to skip a 30 minute line at Ghost Hunt and the Log Flume.

Pretty sure are talking their texting service which is different than a dedicated app. Cool that you mentioned this though as I had forgetten that Lake Compounce offered that service.

My highlights -

First off, upon entering the hall, I was completely floored. COMPLETELY. I have never been to an exposition that has so many different fields that are completely relevant together.

My buddies seemed to like the Moser Gyro Loop. They got the hang of it after a few rides and then were subsequently doing six to eight flips in a row.

A lot of the manufacturers represented at the show are very pleasant and happy to answer questions (such as GCI, TGG, and Proslide to name a few). This was great for our group, because we were here to learn about how all these different fields come together to form the industry we love so much.

The guys from Mack were especially nice to us. They let us climb aboard the Manta train and get a picture! Then they joked about leaving myself and one of my buddies locked in the restraints until Friday. Honestly, they're a great bunch of people.

This ended up being one of the most productive and most fun days of my life, and I'm looking forward to combing through more of the show tomorrow. I'm so happy that the people in this industry are willing to pass on some of their knowledge to those who aspire to one day be at their level. It really makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.

One more thing - photo with Robb - off the unofficial TPR bucket list! Hopefully I won't be hunted down.

^^Thank you, Captain Obvious. Anybody who realizes that a phone in the pocket is a loose item that needs to be secured (especially on a flyer!) can perhaps provide more insight. Maybe the parks will have a drop off area for iPhones used to check in. I do not ride coasters with ANYTHING in my pockets anymore. It's a much more enjoyable experience.

Thanks for a reply with dignity, Larry, however zippered pockets are really not the norm for your typical park visitor. I still see this idea as fairly contradictory toward park policies.

Wow, no need to be rude. I keep my phone in my pocket on every coaster and flat, and have never had a problem. Jean pockets when it's cold and cargo short velcro or button pockets when it's warm. And I'm never worried about it. So you're welcome.

Wow, no need to be rude. I keep my phone in my pocket on every coaster and flat, and have never had a problem. Jean pockets when it's cold and cargo short velcro or button pockets when it's warm. And I'm never worried about it. So you're welcome.

Guys, let's concentrate on IAAPA and not on each other's posts. Please get back on subject.

Edited by ernierocker

REEEEEEAALLLLY jealous. It looks like a really great event, and an amazing opportunity to meet some of the men and women behind these things.

I agree there are a lot of "smaller" rides that could prove great, affordable additions for smaller parks. Real "bang for the buck". The High Five is pretty damn sexy, though...

Does anyone know if there is a Skyrush car down there? If so, I hope they're able to grab a pic or two!

We've already posted pics of all the major new coaster trains that were at the show. Other than the Green Lantern and Manta car, there wasn't much else in the way of vehicle hardware, other than for rides that already have been built, on display.

- The Big Fun concept from GCI is an awesome deal. Basically $3 Million gets you a kick A$$ compact coaster with EVERYTHING included. All the park/operator needs to do is a build a path up to it. The guys seemed really excited about this.

For $3 Mil, how much height, length and speed do you get?

Seems like great value for money, and could well turn out to be the 'SLC of wooden coasters', with respect to the number built.

TPR Video Coverage Part 2 - GCI, ProSlide, Gerstlauer, Zierer -

TPR Video Coverage Part 1 - Gravity Group, Wave Loch, Intamin, S&S -

Re-cap of our first day of photo coverage:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=189&linkid=11285

More photos & videos coming today!

--Robb

Our first IAAPA Bag-O-Crap contest will be starting soon! If you win the contest, you will be winning an "IAAPA Bag-O-Crap", meaning lots of AWESOME STUFF that you can ONLY get from IAAPA! Your IAAPA Bag-O-Crap will come in a GCI bag and include tons of amazing crap from ride manufacturers! DON'T MISS THIS CONTEST!!! Watch our TPR Facebook Page for details: http://www.facebook.com/themeparkreview