TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Russia to build Vekoma GIB in Sochi

According to Screamscape, Sochi Park has finished the construction of their GIB but it hasnt been given a name yet.

Banshee came out of my mind

They certainly will have attendance during the Olympics, but consider that Russia is not a country with a lot of tourism, the low population density and the extreme winter weather, I don't think this park can make a long term business. Let's discuss about where the Yellow Fire will go

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to need to expand if they can't bring in guests. I would not be surprised to see this turn into the Russian version of Hard Rock Park.

And what makes you think this will turn into a new Hard Rock Park?

If they get the park open for the 2014 olympics, they'll definitely get attendance.

The park will not be ready for the Olympics, and it's not meant to. It's meant to open in the summer, and is built to cater for the increased tourism that will come to the town in the coming years.

They certainly will have attendance during the Olympics, but consider that Russia is not a country with a lot of tourism, the low population density and the extreme winter weather, I don't think this park can make a long term business. Let's discuss about where the Yellow Fire will go

Sochi is Russia's biggest summer sea resort, and it attracts around 3-4 million people annually, with over 2 of those millions in the high season (july-August). Sure the numbers of tourists have been low the last years, but that's because of all the construction. It will surely rise again, to even bigger numbers when all of the projects are completed. Going to Sochi is as prestigious to Russian as it is to travel internationally.

This whole project is built for Russian tourists, only around 3% are foreigners, and that will probably not change after the Olympics is done. Maybe tourists from the neighboring countries will increase, but mainly the whole town is aimed at Russian tourists.

Since the russian economy has grown stronger during the 21st century, you don't even have to be wealthy to afford a vacation and visit a place like this, it's even possible for the middle class.

Russian loves these kind of parks. All the new water park developments around the black sea have been hugely successful, and there is no evidence that this will not be as well. Sure you can draw some similarities to the Hard Rock Park about it being built in a place where people don't go for theme parks, but also remember that this place is something that is relatively new for the country, and a lot of people are going to want to visit it.

Edited by _koppen

According to Screamscape, Sochi Park has finished the construction of their GIB but it hasnt been given a name yet.

There are names on the official website:

http://www.sochipark.ru/atractions_page

Boomerang = Quantum Leap

Mack LSM = The Dragon

Mack Mouse = Sharolet (Charlotte?) (themed to a Russian cartoon "

")

I like the name of the GIB but Dragon? Seriously?

They are not going to need to expand if they can't bring in guests. I would not be surprised to see this turn into the Russian version of Hard Rock Park.

And what makes you think this will turn into a new Hard Rock Park?

Sochi is Russia's biggest summer sea resort, and it attracts around 3-4 million people annually, with over 2 of those millions in the high season (july-August). Sure the numbers of tourists have been low the last years, but that's because of all the construction. It will surely rise again, to even bigger numbers when all of the projects are completed. Going to Sochi is as prestigious to Russian as it is to travel internationally.

How far is the amusement park from the popular beach area? Are people going to be able to make a easy commute from the beach to the park? What proof do we have that beach goers in Russia will also be willing to pay for a full day at a amusement park? Amusement parks are not something a popular destination for Russians, but the beach is.

Myrtle Beach saw 14 million visitors each year.

I am hoping the theme park and Olympic park area will be maintained unlike the Bejing park.

I thought that the Water Cube was still doing really well.

• 1 month later...

^^ I have always loved the way GIB's look from above, its definitely an intense ride that doesn't require a large footprint and the way the track crosses itself during the vertical loop was a very smart move on Vekoma's part.

On a side tip, I love the color scheme they went with for this GIB. Its different yet beautiful.

Not super important, I know, but earlier pictures must have been really unflattering, because the color scheme on the GIB actually looks really nice all of a sudden. I had to look back and see if it had been changed, but apparently not! Must depend on the lighting.

Not super important, I know, but earlier pictures must have been really unflattering, because the color scheme on the GIB actually looks really nice all of a sudden. I had to look back and see if it had been changed, but apparently not! Must depend on the lighting.

It's totally the lighting. The first few pictures look like they were taken on an overcast day, and the ones with the more flattering colors were most likely taken on a sunny day. It's amazing how different the colors look! I had to make sure it didn't receive a new coat of paint as well.

So is park actually open yet? Or will it be open in time for the olympics?

Did you read the post above yours?

It said that it will be open in summer. The winter olympics are in February. Will it be open in time for the olympics?

Yes, the park will open this summer. It is currently winter in the Northern hemisphere.

I'm not sure if you have looked at a calendar lately. February is two days away. The Olympics start in ten days!

It's actually now suposed to open the day after the Olympics games starts. It's a bit odd, because it said in Theme park magazine that it was a summer opening. Hopefully the weather will be in favor for them.

How far is the amusement park from the popular beach area? Are people going to be able to make a easy commute from the beach to the park? What proof do we have that beach goers in Russia will also be willing to pay for a full day at a amusement park? Amusement parks are not something a popular destination for Russians, but the beach is.

Myrtle Beach saw 14 million visitors each year.

You need to stop comparing it to the situation that was in Myrtle Beach, as it was unique. Myrtle Beach is located in the US, a market that is absolutely packed with theme parks all over the country, and people in Myrtle Beach was just not looking for a theme park, as they could do it anywhere else in the country.

This park is one of the first ones in Russia, and it is located in one of the popular summer resorts. The standard in Russian household has risen very fast the last decade, and lots of people are no able to afford vacations and activities like these. If you stumbles on Russians traveling out in the world, you will soon realize that they love this kind of entertainment, so I have no doubt that this park will be successful.

Only time will tell however.

I feel really bad for the people building this place though (and the rest of Sochi). About half of them have been sent home without salaries, after the Russian Government/Police made them confess to breaking rules such as stealing from the building supplies etc..

The most notable case in the last days was a poor guy who's been made to confess he's stolen electrical cables by the police, using the rather new method of sticking a iron spit up his anal. That case is now going to be trailed by the European Court of Justice.

Still the park is there now, and even if I would never visit it, it's good for the honest people of Russia to have it there.