TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Russia to build Vekoma GIB in Sochi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt the GIBs have an undeserved bad reputation. They are actually incredibly smooth, not to mention intense and really fun!

Their bad repuatation was VERY deserved when they were first built. It seems like they run just as reliably as any other boomerang now, though. I have a feeling the Six Flags ride program and maintenence had a lot more to do with them being unreliable as anything else. I'm sure them being new technology at the time didn't help, either. Deja Vu at SFGAm was running nearly 100% of the time in its last few seasons before they sold it to Silverwood.

I've always felt the GIBs have an undeserved bad reputation. They are actually incredibly smooth, not to mention intense and really fun!

Their bad repuatation was VERY deserved when they were first built. It seems like they run just as reliably as any other boomerang now, though. I have a feeling the Six Flags ride program and maintenence had a lot more to do with them being unreliable as anything else. I'm sure them being new technology at the time didn't help, either. Deja Vu at SFGAm was running nearly 100% of the time in its last few seasons before they sold it to Silverwood.

As far as I know, the bad reputations of GIBs are almost exclusively their breakdowns and other issues, not the ride experience. I've heard they are intense, but I've never been on one. Hopefully I'll visit SFNE at some point - the Invertigos are not bumpy and IMO, Boomerangs are tolerable and a great waste of time when other rides have big lines.

The color scheme on the GIB is definitely unique, but as long as it's a good coaster, it doesn't matter.

But see, that's the thing. Someone else said that they fixed the reliability issues, but I'm still skeptical.

True, but I said as long as it was a good coaster meaning that it doesn't bash in my skull like most of the older Vekomas.

So far saldy was not able to ride a GIB - but to be able to some day.

My only point of comparison would be the smaller Invertigo which surprisingly ran without the roughness and headbanging the SLCs have. And if a quite small - and now sadly bancrupt - family park like Sommerland Syd could service an Invertigo one wonders why a huge park chain like SF could not do with GIBs...

Now for something that is not about the coasters

TAAs project at Sochi Park is going very well. The themed wall of Blue Fire Dragon has been finished in sculpting and is in the process of painting. The structural works of the Dragon itself will be finished this week being followed by cement works. Also the metal and structural works at the Fortress of the Warrior has been nearly finished.

The cement and sculpting works of the archway of the Bridge Area Towers has nearly finished as well as for the 7 meter high Tower. The Kiddie Portal, the Enchanted Forrest Gate as well as the Gate to the Eco-Village are with final paint works and finished. The Sci-Fiction Gate has been completely finished. The gate to the The Mill and its wheel and façade will be the next projects to be themed.

Several small buildings for compressors and electricity are being themed and will be finalized soon. The Operators booth, themed like a tree, is nearly finished in sculpting.

Source

If they get the park open for the 2014 olympics, they'll definitely get attendance. GIBs are intense rides that dont take up alot of space. The experience is unbelievable and you would have to ride it a few times to understand what im saying. Its definitely one of Vekoma's better ideas and im glad to see it still in circut. According to Screamscape, Sochi Park has finished the construction of their GIB but it hasnt been given a name yet.

db_2013_1202_SochiPark11.jpg.938aa9cd0ed697726b1545f91668f3eb.jpg

Sochi Park GIB Completed