TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2012! TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^It's a small world takeover? Or, we could play a brazilian tour group and have 100 pack into a single rider line!

Agreed!

Mum and I are doing Disney on Friday Afternoon (she hasn't been to the states before so the morning is filled with LA sightseeing.)

Both days of WCB!

Monday we are going to USH doing the VIP Experience, and on the way back stopping at Santa Monica for my credit.

Tuesday is Disneyland.

Wednesday is Sea World.

Thursday and Friday are Disney before our flight leaves Friday night.

Were spending the week at Anaheim Plaza Suites (I wanted to spend a few nights at Knott's Hotel but mum would rather stay at the same place the whole time.

Now mum is not the biggest ride enthusiast, well she doesn't mind the rides, she hates the lift hills and hates heights, so I would appreciate if everyone pressures her into going on every ride, my argument is this will probably be the only opportunity she ever gets and will regret not riding it later.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone over the two days, I shall see you all there!

On my end, as I should be on the move in a rental car in LA by 2pm, Disney looks like a possibility. They're open until midnight on the 17th. Late February is usually relatively quiet for DL, right? Matterhorn is closed, right. Anything else major down?

Barring that, assuming heavy traffic and at least an hour to get anywhere, other possibilities:

- USH looks right out, as it closes at 6pm. It would probably only be possible to get a couple of hours in. With a front of the line pass, would it be possible to see most of it? How long is the studio tour?

-- Is the Santa Monica Pier worth the trip for a couple of hours? They list full hours from 6pm-12am on the 17th. West Coaster looks like the only particularly interesting thing there. Is it a decent ride? I'm not much of a credit person.

--- Someone mentioned the Getty center. It's open until 6pm. I'm uncultured, but it's supposedly the best collection of the type out there. Worth the time?

-v Typical touristy stuff would be the walk of fame and Grauman's, right? That doesn't seem super interesting, although it would be fun to get a picture with Spengebab or Spidermen.

v What about shows? Anyway to tell what comics might be performing where on that night?

v- A friend recommended Chinatown, although he had no particular suggestions as to what to do there.

v-- And last, what about food? In n' Out has a legendary reputation, so it's the first thing once I'm on the road. But what about later? Particularly authentic Mexican should be a possibility, although to be frank I've had authentic made-by-real-Mexican-chefs taqueria food in Cincinnati and it wasn't too impressive. Anything particular on that front that's good? Any particular Anthony Bourdain type of food carts or anything to seek out?

On my end, as I should be on the move in a rental car in LA by 2pm, Disney looks like a possibility. They're open until midnight on the 17th. Late February is usually relatively quiet for DL, right? Matterhorn is closed, right. Anything else major down?

Last year was my first trip to L.A. One of my favourite non-theme park outings was to Griffith Park. It's a huge urban park on the north side of L.A. There's lots of parking at the Observatory and you can do some easy hikes from the parking lot with lots of good views of the Hollywood sign. The observatory itself is a beautiful old art deco(?) building that was recently refurbished. As well there are some interesting displays inside plus a very good show (about 45 minutes) in the planetarium. Also lots of great views of downtown L.A.

And speaking of downtown L.A., I spent a morning wandering around the downtown looking at some of the great architecture. The downtown central train station is a gorgeous building (what a way to arrive at or leave a city). You can wander all over. Also the Disney Concert Hall is really something and you can wander around most of it (except the hall itself). You can even get a little phone that gives you a step by step description of the building. And it's free. Parking is probably difficult and expensive downtown. I took the subway from where I was staying (near Silverlakes) and was able to take the subway from downtown to Hollywood.

Santa Monica pier is a great destination for a day trip. It's probably not worth the trip just for the coaster credit. But it's a great place to hangout for the beach culture. And it's certainly worth a walk south to Venice Beach to check out the skateboard park. And the people watching can't be matched. I rented a bicycle and pedaled all the way south past LAX (involved a big detour at Venice Beach). A great way to check out the beach.

By the way, I found driving on the Santa Monica freeway scarier than most of the rides I was on at WCB. Take your highway GPS. It's invaluable ... especially at night.

As an L.A. native, I would suggest going to the Venice boardwalk. Not just the skating, but going up and down the whole boardwalk. There's lots of performers, but some of them are actually really good. Even if you don't feel like buying anything from the tons of merchants, it's fun to check it all out. I wouldn't expect it to be too crowded around WCB.

And^, the santa monica freeway can get VERY crowded, especially with the construction that they had been doing the last few years.

And^, the santa monica freeway can get VERY crowded, especially with the construction that they had been doing the last few years.

Do you mean the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) or I-405? I-405 (also known as the San Diego Freeway, for reasons unknown as I-405 doesn't actually take you to San Diego) was the freeway with tons of construction when we left L.A., I don't recall that much on I-10.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Do you mean the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) or I-405? I-405 (also known as the San Diego Freeway, for reasons unknown as I-405 doesn't actually take you to San Diego) was the freeway with tons of construction when we left L.A., I don't recall that much on I-10.

--Robb

I-405, sorry to cause any confusion, most people here refer to the 405 as the Santa Monica freeway, but only where it goes through Santa Monica Most of the construction is done now, however, as I'm sure you know that the 405 is part of the route to SFMM... I might suggest people leaving a bit earlier to get to SFMM than they were planning on (unless that was early), because the traffic through Santa Monica can be VERY unpredictable.

Got my tickets, flying SOLO this year, but still stoked! It's on my birthday this year too (Feb 19), thanks Robb & Elissa! Say Robb, any chance of amazing night ERT@SFMM like last year's West Coast Bash? Couldn't imagine Bash without it!

Hey another bay area native coming down for the bash, we should try and meet up... I'll be hanging with my good friend Darnell [scvnizzle screen name, doesn't post much] and his wife, and a friend of theirs I don't know. PM me for my cell if you wanna hang out. Were heading down Friday evening. As far as night ERT... you can count on it, and it's always amazing! I'm bummed because I missed last years, had to leave the park just after dinner that day. Not so this year!

Silver Bullet Backstage Tour Announced!

At West Coast Bash - Knott's Berry Farm - Sunday, Feb 19th

Tickets on sale: http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?categoryID=22

More awesome news! Knott's has confirmed we will get a backstage tour of Silver Bullet! Since we are already having a backstage tour of Montezooma's Revenge, it makes sense that we now have tours of one of Knott's oldest coasters...and one of their newest!

Detail of the tour are still being discussed, but if it's anything like the past tours we've had at Knott's, I'm sure we'll have a chance to get very "up close and personal" with this very popular B&M invert!

Buy your West Coast Bash tickets before they sell out!

I'm looking forward to both tours. In fact, I'm not sure which one I'm more excited about. Probably Montezooma's Revenge since I've been inside other B&M Inverts, but they'll both be great.

Seriously, anyone who is on the fence about doing the Knott's day, it is definitely worth it if you are into behind-the-scenes stuff. I have not been disappointed with any of the tours yet, and they are the primary reason I do both days instead of just doing SFMM.