TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2012! TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

Another reason for the earlier date is the park hours work better for a back-to-back event weekend. SFMM is open until 8pm instead of 10pm. We'll still get the same awesome amount of ERT, but you won't be having to drive home or down to Orange County at midnight (or later!) only to have to get up for Knott's at the crack of dawn the next morning.

I think that this, coupled with the fact that we don't lose an hour with the time change, will result in an even more enjoyable event for everyone. I think this was an excellent idea.

I'm actually glad it's in February, now I don't have to wait until March to visit SFMM and KBF again!

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason for the earlier date is the park hours work better for a back-to-back event weekend. SFMM is open until 8pm instead of 10pm. We'll still get the same awesome amount of ERT, but you won't be having to drive home or down to Orange County at midnight (or later!) only to have to get up for Knott's at the crack of dawn the next morning.

That IS awesome. The last time out, it was seriously one of the most scary drives for me. I was completely wiped out.

That IS awesome. The last time out, it was seriously one of the most scary drives for me. I was completely wiped out.

Thank you for getting us safely to the hotel even though you were pretty much dead. I appreciate it, and so does my family.

Maybe I can find a hotel that is halfway between the two parks, this way there isn't so much driving involved. Then again it's LA traffic and we all know how much LA traffic sucks.

^^^ Newport is nice ... Huntington is probably 75% nice. The closer you are to the beach, the nicer it is. So if your rental is near the beach, you should be fine.

Anaheim itself can be kind of dodgy ... avoid Garbage ... er Garden Grove. Costa Mesa is also nice and isn't far from the beach and could get you another 5 miles closer to DL. But remember, in February the beach water will also be pretty cold (yes, even in SoCal).

Newport and HB aren't far from Disneyland per-se', but depending on where you are staying in HB it may actually take you longer to get the 5-6 miles to the freeway than it does for you to get the other 10 miles to DL.

If you are anywhere near the 55 then you will have an easy trip to Disneyland from there.

I know the area pretty well (as do some other people) so once you have a few picked out you can PM me and I'll let you know which one is best.

Also remember, if you are staying in OC you are going to be about 75 miles away from SFMM and depending on where in OC, you could be 20-25 miles from Knott's (or less than 10).

Thanks, Gregg...we appreciate the great advice! We are going to poke around on the RCI website this weekend and see what's available and where. We still have the option of not doing the time share that weekend and going out to CA with my Dad in his motor home from Vegas. Looks like there are some nice campgrounds in the area as well. We stayed at the one near SFMM the last time we did WCB and that was nice. The one near Disney (Anaheim Resort Park) looks decent too.

I will certainly PM you if we end up doing the time share and probably be looking for more advice from the true California/LA experts for the best things to do (besides WCB, of course) and good places to eat in the area!

Thanks again!

Does anyone know any good hotels next to knotts? I plan on flying into San Diego, spending a day or two at my brothers, then heading to SFMM really early in the morning the day of the event. Then Driving down to a hotel near Knotts so I won't have to wake up really early and drive in a ton of taffic. Also does anyone know how old do you have to be to rent a car in CA?

Does anyone know any good hotels next to knotts? I plan on flying into San Diego, spending a day or two at my brothers, then heading to SFMM really early in the morning the day of the event. Then Driving down to a hotel near Knotts so I won't have to wake up really early and drive in a ton of taffic. Also does anyone know how old do you have to be to rent a car in CA?

You have to be 21 to rent a car but you will pay extra insurance to do it. Avis charges an extra $27 a day which is probably about average.

You have to be 21 to rent a car but you will pay extra insurance to do it. Avis charges an extra $27 a day which is probably about average.

Thanks for the advice!

Sir Clinksalot, Do you by any chance remember how much it cost to stay there?

There is a Rodeway Inn on Beach Blvd which is about a seven minute walk to KBF's main entrance. And it's less than $80 a night, even less with AAA discount. I've stayed there many times. Are you sure you want to drive from San Diego to SFMM on event day. That's quite a long treck to then spend over 12 hours in the park. I would suggest coming up to Valencia the night before if you can.

Do you happen to know if S:EFK will be closed for Drop of Doom construction?

I was wondering that myself. Maybe they will do construction on one side, and only run the other track. Then switch it when one side is complete. It would be a shame to shut the ride down just for that.

There is a Rodeway Inn on Beach Blvd which is about a seven minute walk to KBF's main entrance. And it's less than $80 a night, even less with AAA discount. I've stayed there many times. Are you sure you want to drive from San Diego to SFMM on event day. That's quite a long treck to then spend over 12 hours in the park. I would suggest coming up to Valencia the night before if you can.

I'm going with Kevin, so the problem is we are trying to save money by staying at his brother's house as much as we can. We just figured we would wake up really early and drive to the park.

I always stay at the HI Express across from SFMM on Friday, and at the Knott's hotel on the premises on Saturday (great hotel, IMHO). I have always gotten a discount on the Knott's hotel with my Knott's/Cedar Fair pass and it's great to be able to just walk over there in the morning. I think cost last year was around $115-120.