TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best and Lamest Coaster "Ending"

^B&M has built a few coasters lately with rather uninspired post-MCBR parts (shambhala also comes to mind)

Best: El Toro, Bizarro (SFNE)

Worst: Steel Force, Great Bear

I actually enjoyed steel force's ending. It's nothing spectacular but then so isn't the rest of the ride. I found those last hills pretty fun (a bit like nitro only not as good). I agree with great bear, though. Perhaps if it were today they've put a heartline roll or something but back then they didn't do that.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best - Outlaw Run. It's impossible to hit that brake run not giggling like a school girl.

Best Worst - Adventure Express. Biggest build up to nothing ever.

Worst - Any Boomerang ever. After you get your butt whooped going forward you climb a slow lift to your certain death in reverse. Not one moment of the second half can even be argued as even close to enjoyable.

Best Ending-Maverick, Storm Runner and Wicked Clyclone come to mind as far as coasters that I have been on. I'd have to give Maverick the edge on that one.

Worst Ending-Hands down Great Bear. It has a killer corkscrew then just a nice lazy s-turn back to the brakes. Volcano and Gatekeeper win runner-ups for me

Worst: Big Thunder Mountain

Paris would like a word with you. Heading full speed into a cave only to plummet 40 feet under the river, hit a flat curve, then shoot back up into the station and slam into the brakes? Booyeah.

The Paris one is amazing. But at WDW, the ending creeps through a slow helix, a 20 foot drop, then brakes. YAWN.

For the "lamest" I still vote Adventure Express at Kings Island... There is a huge amount of build up for... nothing... seriously... nothing but a turn and a brake run. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a coaster in my entire life.

Best: Space Mountain Disney World. It's totally dark and at the end you go through a tunnel of lights and then you exit to Space theming. It's been years since I rode it to remember all the fine details but Space Mountain came to mind as best ending of the about 250 coasters I've rode.

Worse: I have to say Manta at SeaWorld Orlando. Don't get me wrong I love, love, love Manta, but lets face it, who likes hanging around so long in that position before they bring you in to get you off the coaster? They really need to work on getting people off that coaster quicker.

I saw a lot of complaints about Great Bear's ending, but I like the way it glides over other rides and paths. It's not the best ending, but I don't think it's as bad as people are saying.

I really like the endings on Fahrenheit, the Voyage, and Millennium Force. They maintain their speed rather well into the brake run.

Best: Tatsu and The Beast. Seeing pictures of Tatsu and then actually seeing how high it is above the ground in person are two completely different experiences, and that last helix gives an amazing view that sort of hangs you out over the edge of the mountain. The final rose bowl of the Beast is insane at night.

Worst: Gatekeeper and Adventure Express. I don't think Adventure Express needs an explanation. As for Gatekeeper, having a helix as the only element at the end of the ride makes the MCBR seem pointless.

As for Gatekeeper, having a helix as the only element at the end of the ride makes the MCBR seem pointless.

I don't see how the block brake affects the ride experience at all. It's literally only there for CAPACITY. It's not there as a point in the ride for the riders to say "Oh we're halfway through the course, time for something else!" That's not what it is.... Take Banshee for example. It has its block brake at the VERY end of the ride, but I have yet to see anyone here post how Banshee is terrible after the "MCBR" because there's just more brakes afterward. If GateKeeper didn't have a block brake, would anyone still complain about the helix?

And the block brake isn't pointless. GateKeeper can get over 1800 riders an hour. It is an extremely fast paced ride to operate. When dispatching at interval, a train will be only feet away from setting up at the top of the lift because the train ahead hasn't cleared the block brake yet. That block brake is far from pointless. It's NOT there to make the ride more exciting. It is ONLY there to make the ride more efficient.

As for Gatekeeper, having a helix as the only element at the end of the ride makes the MCBR seem pointless.

I don't see how the block brake affects the ride experience at all. It's literally only there for CAPACITY. It's not there as a point in the ride for the riders to say "Oh we're halfway through the course, time for something else!" That's not what it is.... Take Banshee for example. It has its block brake at the VERY end of the ride, but I have yet to see anyone here post how Banshee is terrible after the "MCBR" because there's just more brakes afterward. If GateKeeper didn't have a block brake, would anyone still complain about the helix?

And the block brake isn't pointless. GateKeeper can get over 1800 riders an hour. It is an extremely fast paced ride to operate. When dispatching at interval, a train will be only feet away from setting up at the top of the lift because the train ahead hasn't cleared the block brake yet. That block brake is far from pointless. It's NOT there to make the ride more exciting. It is ONLY there to make the ride more efficient.

Same with Shambhala's block brake.

I think we all know it isn't there for the ride experience but you have to admit that it does affect it. And even though Banshee's brake run can be "technically" considered a block brake + final brake run it is different to have no pauses until the very end of the ride.

In my opinion, ideally (for the sake of the experience) there would be no MCBR but naturally there have to be some for capacity reasons but it's better to have that pause in the middle (like raptor) than near the end as you do expect (after hitting the brakes) either no more ride (if it's a final brake run) or some ride (if it's a MCBR) and that helix just doesn't feel enough. Of course it has a purpose and I'm sure they studied all options but it's just that if you're going to cut a ride/break the pacing it's better to do it in the middle.

I think we all know it isn't there for the ride experience but you have to admit that it does affect it. And even though Banshee's brake run can be "technically" considered a block brake + final brake run it is different to have no pauses until the very end of the ride.

In my opinion, ideally (for the sake of the experience) there would be no MCBR but naturally there have to be some for capacity reasons but it's better to have that pause in the middle (like raptor) than near the end as you do expect (after hitting the brakes) either no more ride (if it's a final brake run) or some ride (if it's a MCBR) and that helix just doesn't feel enough. Of course it has a purpose and I'm sure they studied all options but it's just that if you're going to cut a ride/break the pacing it's better to do it in the middle.

I never heard one guest get off GateKeeper saying, "Man, if they only had the block closer to the middle of the ride." I personally don't care where the block is either as GateKeeper with block before helix is probably the same as GateKeeper with block after helix. If I were to criticize GateKeeper for having a lackluster ending it is because the wide winged trains simply can't perform tight transitions and elements engineers normally place near the end of the ride to hide the loss of speed.

• 1 month later...

Best (it's really hard to decide between these):

Outlaw Run: The double barrel roll is awesome everywhere, but in the magic seat (front row of the last car), it produces the best hangtime I've ever experienced.

Thunderbird (Holiday World): The barn fly-through has great footchoppers and a barrel roll finish quite similar to Outlaw Run's.

Worst:

Wildcat (Frontier City): The ride was designed for a splashdown, but it doesn't splash any longer. Instead, you get a really abrupt brake on the crest of the hill right before where the splashdown would be. I rode several times, as otherwise the ride is quite good, but every time without fail the entire train let out an audible "ouch" when we hit the brakes.

If I were to criticize GateKeeper for having a lackluster ending it is because the wide winged trains simply can't perform tight transitions and elements engineers normally place near the end of the ride to hide the loss of speed.

Thunderbird uses a very effective barrel roll at the end and it is extra fun because of how slow you are going.

Rides that I have been on.

Best:

Mindbender SFOG: The forceful vertical loop into a tunnel then a quick turn.

Prowler WoF: The triple down tho

Voyage HW: This ride truly never loses its speed. Honestly there could be another 500 or so feet added to the layout and it would still come flying into the brake run.

Beast: Duh, the only great part of the ride.

Mystery Mine: This is actually my favorite ride ending.

Cheetah Hunt BGT: The final launch into an airtime hill and a few twists.

Worst:

Adventure Express and Gatekeeper like everyone else has mentioned.

Intimidator Carowinds: Basically the same ending as Gatekeeper.

Volcano KD: The ride finally gains speed again but then goes straight into a brake run.

Rides I have yet to ride but am judging based off of POVs and reviews.

Best:

Outlaw Run SDC

Verbolten BGW

Intamin Megalites

Nemesis AT

Lightning Rod Dollywood

Cyclops Mt. Olympus

Iron Rattler SFFT

Worst:

Oblivion AT and G5

All flying coasters (because of the position.)

Leviathan CW

Best: Too many...! Magnum XL-200, Maverick, Blue Fire (that inline twist ) Big Thunder Mountain @ DLP, Karacho @ Tripsdrill (awesome dive loop), Euro-Mir...

Worst: Probably Ninja @ SFMM. Adventure Express obviously looks terrible althugh I haven't been on it yet...

I rather like the bizarre "strobe room" at the end of Space Fantasy at Universal Japan--very cool ending for a very bizarre coaster.

As for the worst, I give the prize to Ninja at Magic Mountain--just a lift hill to the station.

Shambhala at PortAventura certainly dies out. The first 3/4 of the layout is great... then it hits the MCBR (which is more of an almost-at-the-end brake run), does a poor left hand banked drop into a poor airtime hill and then small drop and hump into the brake run.

Even though it's much better than Silver Star overall, they could have put in Silver Star's cool slalom ending.