TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Interview with S&S's Kevin Rohwer

We caught up with S&S Vice President of Sales, Marketing and New Product Development, Kevin Rohwer to see if we could take a little peek at what’s on the drawing Board.

The Magic Formula: Roller Coasters and Amusement Rides with S&S’s Kevin Rohwerwww.blooloop.com/Article/The-Magic-Formula-Roller-Coasters-and-Amusement-Rides-with-S-S-s-Kevin-Rohwer/294

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting interview, thanks.

He mentioned that Electircal Engineering is an area the company could improve in, and I just had a look at their website and they're advertising for an Electical Engineer. I'd love to give that job a go. Unfortunately not being a US citizen would probably hamper my chances!

Thanks Jonny. What was so apparent with Kevin was his sheer passion for rides and coasters and also the absolute overriding importance of a safety first culture.

As to jobs, not sure how easy or not it is to get a green card. However you guys are rare, could be worth a punt. If you need to get in touch drop me a message. Cheers.

I have to quote one section here in the interview that intrigues me.

"It is a thrill version of our Free Fly “family” coaster, capable of a truly unique ride sensation never before experienced and exclusive to S&S, since we’ve patented the mechanical piece that creates the ride experience. "

Okay did we not already see the Free-Fly X concept at Knotts during WCB?

This may mean he is talking about yet another innovation?

^Just to build on that:

As for a thrill coaster...yes, we have a new concept but you will not see it out in the open. We are reserving this for certain past customers and/or strategic opportunities. It is a thrill version of our Free Fly “family” coaster, capable of a truly unique ride sensation never before experienced and exclusive to S&S, since we’ve patented the mechanical piece that creates the ride experience.

This coaster is a perfect example of the earlier question regarding engineering talent. Our team came up with the creative concept and idea. We vetted the idea with significant people in the industry last year at IAAPA and over the year. We took the engineering as far as our capabilities could take us, and we have partnered with an engineering firm in Southern California that specializes in aerospace and government contracts, and have additional tools and engineering resources we don’t. This union has created a feasibility study and product analysis I doubt has ever been done before.

When you see the ride it will be obvious to you why we have teamed, not only with the firm in Southern California, but also with a group here in Utah. The product and its ride experience necessitate a “cream-of-the-crop” group of engineers and a teaming of core competencies. Knowing that the industry looks at S&S as the new-guy-on-the-block to the “general” coaster market, and knowing that the ride concept, which has a “4th-dimension type ride experience” but at half the cost of a 4D coaster, is extreme and thrilling beyond previous experience, we made a conscious decision to bring in the best talent, worldwide, to create, engineer and validate not only the ride, but also the effects the ride experience has on the human body.

Failure is NOT an option; safety cannot be assumed; ride performance and run time must be the best, thus, we’ve had to break the mold of S&S R&D engineering from the past and create a “stacked” team. The industry deserves it, the riders deserve it, and in truth, S&S deserves it.

Introducing a new product, especially one of the calibre we are introducing, S&S is making a statement: beyond being creative, we know what we’re doing and will take every measure to ensure our quality rides are safe, with excellent run time and a low cost of maintenance. Every manufacturer has had their own issues, I call it a skinned shin or black eye. No manufacturer is perfect and, of course, S&S is no exception. We’ve had our technical growing pains, like anyone. However, in our defense, when you approach the right-hand side of that bell-shaped curve – the extreme ride – you often play in unchartered waters.

Interesting...

Thanks Jonny. What was so apparent with Kevin was his sheer passion for rides and coasters and also the absolute overriding importance of a safety first culture.

As to jobs, not sure how easy or not it is to get a green card. However you guys are rare, could be worth a punt. If you need to get in touch drop me a message. Cheers.

I would love to go for it. But I only recently moved to the UK from Ireland for work so don't think I'll be moving again for a while! But I may get in touch with their HR department to find out what they're ideally looking for. That way I could build my CV/resume to go for a similar job in the future. I have the electrical and controls programming experience, but I'd imagine they'd ideally like someone who has worked in a similar role before.

Jonny,

I guess not being a US citizen might ne an issue. Always worth getting in touch though then at least you will have an idea what the criteria for such roles are. Having a passion for rides can only be a good thing too. Cheers & enjoy the new job ( and country!).

I'm wondering could CP be the park getting this new concept in 2013, they already have almost every type of coaster why not go with a prototype, this will also give them a coaster with inversions something that CP fans have been wanting for a while now.

If the Gyrocoaster is indeed S&S's new idea, then I'd be a bit disappointed. It just seems like too much. With so much movement going on in the gyroscope, what's the point of having it move along a track as well? It just seems like it'd give most people a massive headache and be a maintenance nightmare. I'd rather them focus on what has made PK great and follow other's examples in developing drop tracks and other truly ride-enhancing effects.

Bumping this thread to bring this to attention: http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/rides/kiddie-rides/monkey-madness

Looks like the new kiddie flat ride that S&S will premier at IAAPA this year, unless this has been around and I've just never seen it before. I'm not quite sure I get how it works, but I guess it involves the gondolas rising in the air and spinning around the y-axis like a teacup in the air... sort of.