TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Theme Park propsoed For Mallorca! (2015)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in Mallorca before, I spent a week there with my family back in 1998 (I was 16). Mallorca is a pretty big island, it takes about 45 minutes to get from one end of the island to another. On one end of the island is Palma de Mallorca, a city with about half a million people, which is a cultural city that is hundreds of years old with castles, cathedrals, and plenty of old world buildings and cultural stuff, along with a port and an airport. On the other end of the island is all the beaches and beach towns with all the hotels people stay at when coming to Mallorca. In between is a whole lot open space, farms, and some small towns. The main attraction of Mallorca is definitely the beaches. There are beaches all over the island and the ones of the east end that every one goes to are long and wide, and there are also secuded beaches on the north and south of the island which are harder to reach and are more like coves. When we were on Mallorca we went to different beaches everyday and went to Palma de Mallorca for sightseeing the day of our flight back. We took an overnight ferry called Trasmediterranea from Barcelona to Palma which took about 7-8 hours and took a night flight back to Barcelona which took half an hour. Palma de Mallorca had very modern and new airport back then if I recall and the 30 minutes Spanair flight back was short and sweet.

The difference between Mallorca and Hawaii (besides HI being a lot more exotic and tropical) is Hawaii is a lot more isolated and is at least a 5 hour flight to anywhere on the mainland, while Mallorca is just a half hour flight to Barcelona, which means it is only 1 to 1.5 hours from Madrid, and 2-3 hours from many other cities in Europe. Mallorca has the infrastructure to support a theme park with a modern international airport, highways and freeways connecting the island, and plenty of hotels; the question is does Mallorca have enough population and tourists visiting that will visit a theme park if it is built? Possibly, if it is done right. Will this theme park be built by Palma de Mallorca on the west side of the island, or on the east side of the island where all the beach resorts are? If they build by Palma, it will closer to the airport and to the population base of the island; but if they build on the east side of the island by the beach resorts, it will be more accessible by tourists while they stay at their hotels and resorts. I say if they build it, it should be on the east side by all the beaches and resorts. It would be easier get people that are spending a week in Mallorca to spend a day at a theme park if they are close to the park. This park would be cool if it is built right, and it is definitely a better location than Murcia, but I'll believe it when they break ground on it.

having been to the island of mallorca many times i feel that this is a great additional and 'should' work very well. being located in palma means that it is no more than half an hour from two of the islands biggest resorts (Palma nova and magaluf) both popular with brits. lets just hope it all comes together now

I've been reading up on this thread for a while now, and I'm nearly 100% sure this park, like others in similar locations, will sink like a lead stone. Quickly.

PMI (Palma de Mallorca intl) is one of the busiest in the central Med area... but using airport stats does not a valid survey make. PMI's traffic is generated by ONE major airline hubbed there- AirBerlin. AB uses it as a TRANSIT POINT. While there is a tourist trade there, most of the people going through PMI are changing planes... and onto Murcia, or Alicante, or Ibiza... The park's planned stats are based upon the traffic levels that PMI has quoted- and not on the actual tourism basis for the island.

People could have once called St. Louis a great place for a large park if they looked at STL's statistics of 33.4 million people visiting there each year... with 74.5% of those people connecting... leaving 8m actual visitors. The Stats for PMI are just as rigged: Only 29.4% of PMI's traffic pattern actually stay there- with 70.6% continuing on to another destination. And if AirBerlin continues it's trend of moving into business markets and away from leisure markets, it means traffic (And thus tourism) could drop as well- making this park HRP: Europe real fast.

^Sounds an aweful like what they told the investors of Hard Rock Park and again for Freestyle Music Park.

Myrtle Beach Annual Visitors = 14 Million

Mallorca Annual Visitors = 7-9 Million

Both are seasonal tourist areas that are driven mainly by the beaches and pre-existing recreational activities.

Hard Rock predicted 3 million annual guests.

Mallorca predicts 1.5 million annual guests.

I think we already know how this is going to turn out.

Edited to say: And the concept art kind of sucks. no?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I'm new here, 16-years-old, living in Germany near to Cologne and I felt to post some stuff on the Majorcan Theme Park.

I visit Mallorca every year since I'm 3 years old, and I can tell that the party folks are found only in Palma (capital). Since Mallorca has got very dynamic tourism, a theme park bigger than most german parks will attract more tourists easily. Also a medium-sized german park opened only for summer season gets about 800.000 visitors per year. The park will open 365 days a year and will be larger than most german parks, so it won't be hard to get 1.5mil visitors a year, especially in a well themed thrill- and water-park.

I'd also like to list some of the rides I noticed (referenced rides from TPG and models/artworks):

- There will be a family coaster like Pegasus in the Europa-Park Rust

- A launched Mack coaster like Blue Fire (Europa-Park)

- A Custom Boomerang

- A Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter

- At least one other family/kiddie-coaster

Edit: I just saw the last post is about 2 years old, does anyone know what happened to the project?

I Lived in mallorca in 1999 and worked for a UK based holiday company the water parks on the island did ok with lots of day trips, i could see this working. Not to mention if they were in palma there are lots of cruises there! only a sesonal island Easter to october one to watch

Stu K

Sometimes one wonders why some high tourist areas or major cities have no park nearby.

The before mentioned coaster lineup sounds a little redundant - Mack Looping AND Gerstlauer Eurofighter. In that area they should also make sure to have high capacity waterrides like a Mack SuperSplash, an Intamin rafting ride and a log flume with double loading station - maybe inside a separate area which allows riding in bathing suits.

Yeah there aren't any tourists in the other half of the year, but maybe there are some interested mallorquins.

Oh and I think a non-launched Euro fighter with a 95° drop is completely different than the Mack launch coaster. Also there will be featured different kinds of water rides and as I assume a water park too. But the second point would be a problem for other water parks on the island.

This might be interesting for you, especially page 15:

http://themeparkgroup.dk/Mallorca-2012-UK-1.pdf

Mallorca is one of many a resort islands off of and part of Spain. It's most famous for its beaches and its nightclubs.

I haven't been there, but I've been its sister island Ibiza. From what I gather, the islands are somewhat similar, although Mallorca is bigger, and Ibiza is much more famous for its very huge clubs, and is a much more major destination for college aged kids vacationing to enjoy the EDM music scene. (Some of the clubs there can hold over 10,000 people!) In Ibiza, the focus is much more on the clubs than the beaches, although the beaches are popular. But to get to the beaches ones requires a drive or boat ride. Mallorca tourism seems to be more beach focused than club focused. But the islands are similar enough to allow comparisons.

Ibiza has only one very small amusement park, in the San Antonio area, near where I stayed on my last visit to the island. It's located right next two of the mega clubs (although they're two of the smallest of them) and also right across from one of the beaches. The park has just a handful of flat rides and a slingshot ride. There are literally tens of thousands of hotel rooms within walking distance, and they're next to two clubs that get thousands of people on the busier nights. And to be honest, I never seemed to see many people riding much of anything. The Sling shot seemed somewhat busy, but that has virtually no capacity, so it doesn't take much for it to seem busy. That said, this is more the kind of place that you'd walk by and say "let's give that a ride" rather than the kind of destination park that the Mallorca parks seems to be trying to be.

But I wonder if the Hard Rock Park analogy is not an apt one. I'm not sure how many families visit there (very few families visit Ibiza, but it's more famous for its clubs for the college crowd.) But if they only have one or two major coasters, and a bunch of tamer family rides, I imagine it won't hold the attention of the college aged kids for long. And if it's at all expensive, then word will get out that it doesn't have much value for the money. But more importantly, like Hard Rock, it looks like the location they've selected is away from the major beach resort areas, but even further from them than Hard Rock was. That seems a really bad idea, though I imagine they did it because land would be MUCH more expensive near the beaches. But are people really going to drive out to an amusement park that doesn't have that much to keep them busy for more than a short visit? I guess we'll see.

If this park does manage to open, enthusiasts might want to go there quickly! Otherwise, it might go the route of Hard Rock. The good news is that cheap flights can easily be had on Easyjet Airlines from all over Europe. So, if you live in Europe or are planning to visit there after the parks open, it shouldn't be too expensive to add a side trip to Mallorca.