TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

LIMit - A K'nex LIM Launched Coaster

A while back, I had the idea of building a K'nex coaster, and using actual LIMs to launch it. Since my dad works in electronics, and I dabble in them as well. Our original plans called for the coaster to be a shuttle layout, but that proved to be a little too complicated for a prototype ;layout. Instead we settled on a low to the ground Maverick Esque design with two sets of LIMs. One for the lift hill and another pair to launch the coaster.

The layout goes like this: Maverick Lift, Zero G Roll, banked turn around, second launch, and after that: ????

Onto the video:

This is currently what the layout looks like...

DSCN1321.MOV

The current progress...

114984887_DSCN1318(Copy).JPG.792ec25381e365771c5951e39a0fc7fb.JPG

The Maverick-esque lift...

1541248838_DSCN1319(Copy).JPG.c511b4fafbbdf5f6312a84b2433aac2e.JPG

The zero G roll and turnaround...

314535491_DSCN1320(Copy).JPG.25703a58e72b6e09be8dad4187db7a7d.JPG

The total layout so far...

757231005_DSCN1322(Copy).JPG.29d57ad9c40813b6bd4c676fb56c5bf0.JPG

The turnaround...

Please comment on what O have so far, I'd really appreciate it...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really an actualy magnetic launch? A few people the sscoasters froums have attempted to build these before and none of them got one to work. Since you have someone who works with electronic you might have a better chance than them. It will be interesting to see if you can get some kind of LIM/LSM to work.

It looks like you need more speed, you could lube you cars with something like silicon oil. It helps a lot, trust me.

It's not like LIMs are these huge things that only work on a large scale. If you have the right circuit built, LIMs can be any size and do practically anything. It's not like a magnet that small is weaker than a large magnet, the only difficulty would be storing the energy, which really actually wouldn't be that difficult. I'm sure you could even invent a control system that doesn't require storing energy but uses live feed or just simply batteries. Probably a rather strong battery, though (9v per say?) It's all about design.

Induction is used for a lot of small things, especially household objects. Just buy any small 3 setting fan and take it apart.