TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cool to be gay? (in high school)

AllisonY2K

One of the girls I work with told me that at her high school it's apparently cool for women to be gay....or act like they are. but only within the 4 walls of school. outside of high school you can lead your normal hetero life, but while in school, it's cool to be lesbian. not so much for gay man, though.

I normally wouldn't have thought twice about this, but while working in another city about three years ago one of the girls told me that at her high school, it was considered cool to be lesbian. again, outside of high school you can be your typical straight self and that's totally fine.

So with two instances that I am aware of (in the Tampa & Sarasota area) I feel compelled to ask if you've noticed this at -your- high school and if so, what your thoughts about it are.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barely anyone at my school ever came out as being gay while they were there... When we all got to sixth-form college (which most people do for two years if they wish to go to university), a number of people came out, and suddenly it was all the rage for women to be gay, or particularly bisexual, yes. Many of the prettier girls who claimed to be bisexual seemed to just do it to try and turn on guys, and I guess that worked! Most of them dropped it not long after leaving college, which I think basically proves that it was mainly attention seeking on their part.

Yeah, there are tons of Gay people at my school... scary in the fact that if you went up to one of them and said "On your knees, now"... they probably wouldn't do it.

Overall, I belive that it is cool to be "Gay" in school. I think it's just a fad... like how pink is the new black... I bet 80% of the kids in my school will grow out of this phase.

One thing that really makes me mad, is that they flaunt it for all that it's worth. If you're gay, that's fine... JUST DON'T OVERDO IT! You don't need to keep a limp wrist 24/7, you'll end up getting carpol tunnel.

It seems like this topic has sort of been let astray...From what I am hearing, it seems that so far everyone has mentioned "being gay" as a sort of fashionable statement, like wearing fishnet stockings to Church. Well, when I was in HS, it was almost social suicide to be out to your peers. I remember that I was so scared to come out to my best friends, and after a couple of months of deep depression in college, I went back to my hometown to "clear the fog" a bit. If I could offer advice to anyone on this site as to whether or not to come-out in HS...use your best judgement and don't sell your friends and family short. Be prepared for the worst so as you don't get trampled on.

^Well said, good advice.

My high school was basically a nightmare for anyone who wasn't "normal", ie - straight, skinny, hung around in the right part of the grounds, and wandered around the streets drinking and smoking at night. College was a thousand times better, people were actually allowed to be individual once they reached 16 or 17.

on that note, I came out during the last week of senior year in high school. figured, hey, it's only one week. yeah......it was one hell of a week. let's see: assaulted, thrown up against a wall, pinned against a wall, verbally harrassed, laughed at, ridiculed....um..I think that covers it. it was a fun week, let me tell ya! this is why I gave my 10-year H.S. reunion the finger.

but anyway, back in 1994, it wasn't cool to be gay in high school. turns out I wasn't the only GLBT student, just the most visible. everyone else kept quiet and then came out to me after graduation.

I went to Oregon City High School. Oregon City is basicly a suburb of Portland. However, while Portland is a very liberal city with a fairly large gay population, Oregon City is most definately not. It is about 97% white, 3% Hispanic, and 0% eveything else. If you were a male and came out you would have had the crap beat out of you. If you were a female I'm sure you would have been an outcast. That was over 12 years ago as I graduated in 1993 and I have heard that things have gotten a lot better but i have my doubts that it is considered "popular". You would be amazed how things like racism and hatred can hang on in smaller communities.

on that note, I came out during the last week of senior year in high school. figured, hey, it's only one week. yeah......it was one hell of a week. let's see: assaulted, thrown up against a wall, pinned against a wall, verbally harrassed, laughed at, ridiculed....um..I think that covers it. it was a fun week, let me tell ya! this is why I gave my 10-year H.S. reunion the finger.

It's funny how I am totally there with you on giving my HS reunion the finger. I am not usually a bitter person, but when it comes to HS, I genuinely HATED a good 90% of my HS. This not only had to do with the blatant homophobic atmosphere, but mostly centered around the atrocious level of bigotry and intolerance on ever level. I come from a relatively wealthy area in Northern Virginia and with that comes spoiled "rotten" jerkoffs. I can't begin to explain to you how shady and evil most of the people that attended my HS were.

BTW Allison, I'm REALLY sorry that happened to you. I'm not the one to resort to violence out of the blue, BUT, if I saw someone being treated like that I would go apesh*t on the harassers. It only takes one person, you know...

Many of the prettier girls who claimed to be bisexual seemed to just do it to try and turn on guys, and I guess that worked! Most of them dropped it not long after leaving college, which I think basically proves that it was mainly attention seeking on their part.

You hit the nail on the head, Lou.

When I worked in the pub, I used to see this all the time with the college-aged girls. They would make out on the dance floor and feel each other up, trying to get attention from the guys, who, of course, loved every second of it.

I always found it to be a rather sad and pathetic spectacle (the attention seeking part, I mean.)