TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Abandoned Loudoun Castle Theme Park video

Hey guys, I made a video of the now closed theme park Loudoun Castle which is lying abandoned. I thought some of you guys would maybe be interested in this. Has anyone else been recently? I know I haven't posted 50 posts to put up a link I was more interested to see if anyone else has been.

Some of the roller coasters like Twist and Shout look like they are in perfect working order, some even still had power to them

*Update*

We actually got another permission visit to Loudoun Castle and I made couple of more videos one with a drone and a commentary on our experiences, rather than create a new thread thought I would just add to this old one.

Edited by abandonedscotland

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty blurry when it comes to Trespass in Scotland, it appears its... an offence but, not an offence? I dunno, it's confusing really...

Anywho, cool video, a little bit like urbexing but, theme park related, I like that.

Will be sad but, would be cool to have a follow up video in the exact same locations seeing how decay is happening a year down the line, like after this winter and such. Sad to see it's closed though, looked quaint and quite nice actually.

Pretty blurry when it comes to Trespass in Scotland, it appears its... an offence but, not an offence? I dunno, it's confusing really...

Anywho, cool video, a little bit like urbexing but, theme park related, I like that.

Will be sad but, would be cool to have a follow up video in the exact same locations seeing how decay is happening a year down the line, like after this winter and such. Sad to see it's closed though, looked quaint and quite nice actually.

Yeah it's really a civil offence rather than a criminal one but generally if you're not going in with the intention of damaging the property there would be no real grounds for damages (which we obviously didn't). Yeah if nobody buys it over i'm planning on going back to see the changes over time.

Why did the park close?

One of the workers there died after falling from one of the rollercoasters, after that I think the numbers were declining so it was no longer profitable forcing them to close. It's unfortunate because most people have happy memories of the place.

The worker dieing after falling from one of the coasters (which happened in 2007, well before the park closed) was cleared of being any fault of the Theme Park, it was a genuine accident, the reason that Loudoun Castle closed was due to the financial climate being poor and low visit numbers, which the park owner puts down to a lot of goverment funded attractions which are free to visit opening in the area.

Source

Why did the park close?

One of the workers there died after falling from one of the rollercoasters, after that I think the numbers were declining so it was no longer profitable forcing them to close. It's unfortunate because most people have happy memories of the place.

The worker dieing after falling from one of the coasters (which happened in 2007, well before the park closed) was cleared of being any fault of the Theme Park, it was a genuine accident, the reason that Loudoun Castle closed was due to the financial climate being poor and low visit numbers, which the park owner puts down to a lot of goverment funded attractions which are free to visit opening in the area.

Source

I'm sure the majority of it was down to the financial climate, i'm just saying that the publicity that a worked died on the site surely couldn't have been beneficial?

You wrote that the reason the park closed was because of the accident, I can fully understand that I am sure it did a bit of harm to the visitor numbers, however it was certainly not the reason of the closure, beings that the accident was in 2007, the park were cleared of any wrongdoing in 2009, and the park closed at the end of 2010!

There have been plenty (unfortunately) of Theme Park accidents around the world, even quite a few at some of the Six Flags properties, these did not affect visitor numbers, there have been incidents in the UK too which have not affected visitor numbers to the point of closure, so I am not saying that is would not have affected the visitor numbers, just merely saying that considering the timeline, it was not the reason for closure.

You wrote that the reason the park closed was because of the accident, I can fully understand that I am sure it did a bit of harm to the visitor numbers, however it was certainly not the reason of the closure, beings that the accident was in 2007, the park were cleared of any wrongdoing in 2009, and the park closed at the end of 2010!

There have been plenty (unfortunately) of Theme Park accidents around the world, even quite a few at some of the Six Flags properties, these did not affect visitor numbers, there have been incidents in the UK too which have not affected visitor numbers to the point of closure, so I am not saying that is would not have affected the visitor numbers, just merely saying that considering the timeline, it was not the reason for closure.

I'm sure there were a number of factors which caused the closure, one of them was the death of a worker which had negative press and also the declining numbers going to the theme park (which was partly caused by the death and various other reasons). I'm sure there have been other incidents in the UK and around the world but i was just stating one of the reasons that it closed.

That video was almost as emotionally moving as Marley & Me, I really wanted to cry!

Sad to see a park abandoned, hopefully some of these rides will see new life in other parks. That S&S tower looks really cool!

Yeah I hope you're right Doug, i'd love for the park to re-open but I doubt that will happen so the next best thing would be for the rides to go elsewhere for other people to enjoy rather than sit rotting.

On a positive note; some of the rides Henk Bembom has/had a Loudoun were once at Dreamland, Margate and the Save Dreamland people are in contact with him about the possibility of some of those rides making a return when Dreamland re-opens so you never know, hopefully some of them could get a new lease of life in Margate!

I don't know if I've posted enough to be able to link to it but I would recommend checking out the Save Dreamland campaign, they're are doing a lot of good work saving old rides from around the UK!