TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland Billund 2012. Polar X-Plorer is now open!

^ Yeah, I agree that there could have been more theming. Kinda seems like the coaster section is really sparse. Then again, I guess it's like that on Dragon and Technic Test Track, too....

But yeah, the drop section seemed to be lacking something, and I actually thought the section AFTER the drop looked pretty good. Really thought there was going to be a *bit* more interaction with the penguins rather than you just pass by a window that you could miss if you happened to not be looking that direction.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking this isn't finished? It looks so bare compared to the concept art especially the drop building which is far too light inside, does this have doors that close behind the train when it enters the building like thirteen? I know it's a kiddie coaster but they deserve a little more immersion and detail surely?

I thought the theming looked a bit unfinished, too. However, the drop section actually looked a bit more intense in the second POV on the video. Overall, it looks like a solid family ride that fits Legoland's audience.

But rare is the ride that lives up to its concept art.

Edited by cfc

The drop doesn't look as good as the Intamin system. The coaster section at the beginning looks solid.

Not sure on the theming, looks a little sparse. Don't like the screen... Thought they might be some fake rocks/ice caves or something!

Take the drop section and the 2nd half of the ride out and everyone would be talking about how this was the perfect family ride for Legoland. But somehow when the drop section got thrown into the equation, several people got the false impression in their heads that this was going to be more of high thrill ride than it was actually intended to be. I give a ton of kudos to Legoland and Zierer for trying something so different for a family ride. But, I do agree that the theming in the 2nd half of the ride does leave a little bit to be desired. Hopefully, it just isn't finished yet.

Edit: My comments are directed more at the reactions on the TPR Facebook page rather than anything posted in the thread.

Edited by ernierocker

I agree on LEGOLAND theming. It isn't really nice. I noticed while watching a POV of the LEGOLAND Florida Dragon that there was extensive theming inside, but absolutely nothing outside. This ride could use a little more theming, maybe a water feature that appears to be frozen but water is flowing on the inside of a case made to look like ice?

The more I think about it, Legoland parks really only have *ONE* themed coaster, The Dragon, and that's mostly due to the dark ride part. The actual ride section itself is not really themed at all, just in a field. We haven't seen any photos of the ride, the queue area, the new section of the park, etc, etc....and perhaps those are more themed?

But think about all the other Legoland park coasters - are any of theme really themed aside from the station and the train? No.

So when you think about that, this ride is actually MORE themed than most of the other Legoland coasters.

Perhaps we're being a little unfair?

Interesting but it does look unfinished. The first part looks like quite a good little family coaster with some nice speed and direction changes. Hopefully they'll add to the theming a bit throughout the summer.

I have to give Legoland Billund props for going out on a limb here with this expansion. It's something the Legoland park's haven't really tried before.

This attraction was ONE part of a $20 Million dollar overhaul/expansion. I don't think people should compare this to Verbolten's pricey $50 million dollar price tag AND different target group.

One thing you can count on is them finding ways to plus/polish the attraction over the coming months. Everyone should know by now never to judge an attraction solely based on what they see in a very limited POV view that doesn't allow for you to actually feel the forces.

Legoland built an attraction geared towards a child audience. However, the complaints about the drop system are completely unwarranted, ESPECIALLY once you watch the Zierer interview from Robb's IAAPA video:

At 10:10 you can see them testing the drop section that's on Polar X-plorer and Verbolten. It's not a huge drop, but it's a reliable and efficient mechanism that can be reset easily. It's not meant to be OMFG intense.

It's LEGOLAND.

Target Audience: 2-12 year olds

I rest my case as a Fan Boy. No new attraction is perfect, and everyone has their complaints. Give them props for managing to work in so much into a single attraction: Coaster, Drop Ride, meandering transit ride and penguin exhibit. You could go right out the exit and view the penguins, so I think the "penguin interaction" was more of an added bonus than a "marquee feature".

Looks like a great addition for Legoland's audience, but I will say that the section after the drop looked pretty dull compared to the beginning of the ride. I obviously haven't been on it so I don't know how it rides in person but in the POV video it looks like the thing barely crawls back to the station compared to the beginning of the ride which looks to have a really nice speed and pacing for a family coaster.

I'm curious if the drop track section can be updated later to have a different drop sequence. I assume that track section is the same hardware that is going to be used on Verbolten, and I remember seeing a video on Verbolten that had the drop section testing in a factory setting that had a longer more exciting drop sequence. I know this thing isn't supposed to be Tower of Terror but it would cool if they could had a little something to that section sometime in the future.

Themeing issues aside that everyone has already mentioned this looks like an excellent addition to Legoland and I hope a new version of the Polar-XPlorer attraction eventually get built stateside. I could see a swamp themed version working well at Legoland Florida!

The more I think about it, Legoland parks really only have *ONE* themed coaster, The Dragon, and that's mostly due to the dark ride part. The actual ride section itself is not really themed at all, just in a field. We haven't seen any photos of the ride, the queue area, the new section of the park, etc, etc....and perhaps those are more themed?

But think about all the other Legoland park coasters - are any of theme really themed aside from the station and the train? No.

So when you think about that, this ride is actually MORE themed than most of the other Legoland coasters.

Perhaps we're being a little unfair?

That's a good point. The Dragon series of coasters do take place mostly outdoors on grass.

I do think this ride will be a hit with families. The drop section is a bit of a bonus for kids.

I was quite impressed with this variation on the ESC coaster from Zierer- as it is, for a family coaster, quite well done. The theming leaves something to be desired in a few areas, but overall, it's a great ride.

It is, I think, the preview of what will open in a few weeks in Williamsburg- but from a 'family' coaster perspective. Nice job, Legoland, and I hope to see this in Carlsbad soon enough!

Looks like a fun coaster. The coaster section looks great, and I have no problems with the drop section. My only problem is, like most people, the disappointing theming in the drop section. The concept art showed something much more impressive, but I guess that was my fault for expecting the actual "show room" to look like that.

I think the thrill factor of the drop is spot on for the target audience, I just didn't expect the dark section to be so lacking compared to the concept art, I know thirteen isn't great but at least the theming in the drop building is pretty good.

It would be a shame if the drop on verbolten is identical to this.