TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vengeance - Knex Coaster

Not to much knex on this site, so I figured I would put up what I have been working on. Its a B&M Floorless based off of Kraken made out of knex. So far I have the lift, loop, and dive loop done. Next is the Zero G roll. I am using the more realistic "tube" supports. Here is the nolimits version I made to show the layout:

Now for the actaully stuff. And yes, I know that my basement is a total train wreck.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Commando

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Thanks dude. No to many people seem to care about knex here... Oh well! Comments all always welcome. I Have started to work on the pull in to the zero g roll.

I don't think it's so much that people don't care, but more that we all don't have the money/time/patience to work with these things! But hell, we'll all sit here in awe while you do, because it's great!!

Couple things..

Have you built the prelift roll? It almost seems like it won't have quite enough speed to make it to the lift hill.

And also, are you going to use any MODed Rippin' Rocket boosters for the layout?

I havent built the roll before the lift yet. I also do not plan on using boosters. It currently clears all of the elements with speed. So I think I will have enough speed. Same goes with the roll.

That's got to be the best K'nex work I've ever seen. I hope that you end up having enough speed to build your intended layout. I build with Coasterdynamix, and I don't think the CD train would clear that course. And, from what I understand, the K'nex trains are not as efficient as the CD trains. Of course, I've never built with K'nex, so I could be wrong. Be prepared to possibly have to alter your design if you get a valleying train. Still, that's mighty fine building there...beautiful and smooth shaping.

-Doug

That's got to be the best K'nex work I've ever seen. I hope that you end up having enough speed to build your intended layout. I build with Coasterdynamix, and I don't think the CD train would clear that course. And, from what I understand, the K'nex trains are not as efficient as the CD trains. Of course, I've never built with K'nex, so I could be wrong. Be prepared to possibly have to alter your design if you get a valleying train. Still, that's mighty fine building there...beautiful and smooth shaping.

-Doug

I wieght and lube all of my trains so that they retain there speed better. It currently clears all of the elements with speed so I dont believe I will have a problem.

-Doug

I wieght and lube all of my trains so that they retain there speed better. It currently clears all of the elements with speed so I dont believe I will have a problem.

I didn't realize that weighting the trains made that much of a difference. I've seen other K'nex coasters that are ridiculously tall, but only seem to make it through a very short course. I am looking forward to seeing this once it is completed...it's a beauty! Also, would you mind telling me how you weight your trains? I might see if I can do something similar for my sitdown CD trains in order to increase the efficiency.

-Doug

I didn't realize that weighting the trains made that much of a difference. I've seen other K'nex coasters that are ridiculously tall, but only seem to make it through a very short course. I am looking forward to seeing this once it is completed...it's a beauty! Also, would you mind telling me how you weight your trains? I might see if I can do something similar for my sitdown CD trains in order to increase the efficiency.

I simply tape pennies to the bottom of my cars. I have used 20 at the most and as little as 8 on this one. The more you use the stronger your supports need to be. Tube supports have a hard time handling 20 so I dropped to 8 on this one. I currently need to clean all of the crap off of the axles and lube them because my speed is starting to decline.

Thanks for all of the comments

I simply tape pennies to the bottom of my cars. I have used 20 at the most and as little as 8 on this one. The more you use the stronger your supports need to be. Tube supports have a hard time handling 20 so I dropped to 8 on this one. I currently need to clean all of the crap off of the axles and lube them because my speed is starting to decline.

Thanks for all of the comments

Simple, yet effective. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, with CD trains, it might keep the chain dogs from engaging the lift spring...or it could make the train bind on the lift hill. I'll have to see how to modify that for Coasterdynamix. It would be great if I could get that train through more track...then I could make longer layouts with taller elements. Thanks again for that information.

Another thing I found worked -very- well for my own K'nex looping coasters was graphite lubricants: You can get a tube of this usually at hobby shops or related; it's sold in the same area as the Pinewood Derby wooden cars.

It can (and DOES) reduce friction quite a bit. In addition, if pennies aren't your speed (no pun intended!) smaller heavyweights are also available (and usually in the same locations) which are self-adhesive. Those work very well at weighting the car down and are much smaller, perfect for K'nex coasters.

R.D.

• 4 weeks later...