TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&Ms future launch and 4d coasters

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just food for thought.

B&M - (9/28/11) Screamscape sources tell us that in the next season or two we can expect to see B&M premier an all new launched coaster ride system, as their next new coaster concept. Beyond this, I’m told that B&M would like to launch a 4D coaster concept, likely based on the new Wing Coaster technology, but this ride system is still several years away from becoming a reality. For now B&M have their hands full developing the new Wing Coaster system and getting their Launched coaster line off the ground.

I'd agree with that - I think we'll see them launch something on their own before we see them release a 4D model. It's going to take a lot of work for them to get a 4D perfect and as reliable as they need it to be to fit their caliber of rides.

A terrain 4D coaster kind of defeats the purpose.

How so? Spinning close to the ground or pointing towards the ground at the bottom of a dive could be some terrific thrills not requiring a huge amount of height...

Bigger is not always better...

A terrain 4D coaster kind of defeats the purpose.

How so? Spinning close to the ground or pointing towards the ground at the bottom of a dive could be some terrific thrills not requiring a huge amount of height...

Bigger is not always better...

Yeah, but as I said before, the turning of the seats are the result of the coasters force, and the lower the force, the less intensely the seats would spin, and also if it were to stay close to the ground, it'd have less options of elements.

^I think you're thinking of a coaster with free spinning seats ala Green Lantern/Insane. Arrow's 4D seats (which are presumably something B&M could perfect) are rotated using a second rail (which has nothing to do with the forces at the time of rotation).

As for launched B&Ms...I don't know...After riding Hulk, B&M and Launch seems to equal rough rides.

I'm failing to see how having a launch to gain speed instead of a drop would cause a ride to be more rough. Hulk could just as easily have a steeper lift and a taller drop to compensate for the extra speed the launch offers; something tells me there would be no correlation between the drop and how rough the ride would be.

Edited by CP_RULES

^ Maybe you should look at an aerial of AT...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Alton+Towers%4052.989203,-1.885014&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=0

IIRC, Oblivion is able to rise above the tree line in it's specific location because there are other trees which block the line of site between it and the neighbors.

Anyway, as far as a B&M launch goes, I think too many people underestimate the progression of technology and engineering in this field. I do not think it will be hard for B&M to come up with a reliable launch system at all. Rather, the difficulty probably lies in making one that is ALSO cost effective, easily maintainable, is energy efficient, and maintains a high factor of safety. It has always been a question of whether it was worth it for the company to pursue such a design with limited reception and numerous technological issues to work out, not whether or not it was possible for B&M to do a launch system.

Balancing all the factors at once is what makes real engineering so difficult. Until now, I can definitely see why it would have been counter productive for them to enter the launch field when their other products are still doing so well and their competitors are having to spear-head all the issues that launch systems have thrown. Now B&M can march into the field with high expectations from their customers their name unmarred by the issues caused by some of the early prototypes.

The same goes for the 4d concept.

B&M coasters are like the Rolls Royce of coasters, it isn't really the fact that launches are unreliable, LIM/LSM launches are really reliable (if you get them properly encased) (hydraulic, compressed air and tire driven not so much), it is making a B&M train which weighs a huge amount accelerate at the same rate as say an Intamin. And once you have done so you also have to think about the cost per launch...