TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Plane hits Ferris wheel north of Sydney

Plane hits Ferris wheel north of Sydney, trapping four

News item:

A light plane has crashed into a Ferris wheel in a village north of Sydney, trapping four people, Australian officials say.

The Cheetah S200 plane with two men aboard did not topple the wheel after hitting it during a festival in the village of Old Bar.

The men and two children at the top of the wheel were trapped for hours before being rescued by a crane.

There were no serious injuries in Saturday's incident, the officials say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15135716

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/plane-crashes-into-ferris-wheel/story-e6freuy9-1226154891448

It this a first? Thankfully no serious injuries from reports.

933397-light-plane-hits-ferris-wheel.jpg.9e54e1af9d31fbb95272e23e2a4986eb.jpg

Edited by RedSpecial

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How stupid was the Pilot? I blame Him.

"The aircraft reportedly failed to gain enough altitude after taking off from a nearby airport. "

-BBC News

Since an investigation is still pending, that's not really a fair statement. It may have been a mechanical problem or another freak incident.

Being a pilot myself, it always seems like people are out to get us. If your car loses control due to a worn tire blowing out and you slam into another car, people blame it on the tire and look the other way. If the engine in my aircraft loses enough power to maintain altitude, then I somehow failed to determine that my aircraft was airworthy. I'm pretty confident that the pilot in command didn't look at the ferris wheel and think "TARGET!" Also, at least within the US, there are laws governing the overflight of crowded social gatherings such as a fair. Personally, I think that there's a much higher risk on a city street with cars doing nearly 40 mph. just feet away from pedestrians on the side walk than a light plane weighing half as much as a car flying 500 ft. over a crowd. The Disney issue is a bit akward and I think it's just as much to relieve the congestion of air traffic over their parks as it is an anti-terror act. I'm not sure about DisneyLand but I believe that Orlando's air traffic control will occasionally grant permission to overfly the resort if requested.

How stupid was the Pilot? I blame Him.

So its automatically the pilot's fault even if the plane had a sudden, unforseen mechanical failure?

Or maybe the Ferris Wheel jumped in front of the plane making a collision unavoidable?

Or better still....it was a terrorist attack!

I am shocked that the Ferris Wheel didn't fall over as a result of the impact. Glad to see that everyone is ok. I'm not sure whether to believe it wasn't 100% the pilot's fault or not. I'm not saying he purposely did it; just that he probably could have done something about it to prevent the impact. Still, I don't think it's his fault.

I think this accident is both very unlucky and lucky at the same time. Very unfortunate for the pilot and Ferris Wheel riders but also very lucky at the same time - the wheel could have been full of riders or the whole structure could have come crashing down. I bet we don't see anything like this again in the near future.

I was just thinking the other day of a picture I have of a plane that crashed into a carousel. [/random]

I agree that this could have turned out much worse, but is it wrong that I'm not overly surprised the Ferris wheel held up and there were no serious injuries? I've heard of other cases where everyone was similarly fortunate.

I am shocked that the Ferris Wheel didn't fall over as a result of the impact. Glad to see that everyone is ok. I'm not sure whether to believe it wasn't 100% the pilot's fault or not. I'm not saying he purposely did it; just that he probably could have done something about it to prevent the impact. Still, I don't think it's his fault.

He probably could have done something but the alternative was likely worse. For instance, would you rather crash into a small ferris wheel or a crowded midway?